high powered NA!

Tanya

Supramania Contributor
Aug 15, 2005
Naples, FL
Wills7MGTE said:
all this talk of NA tuning is making wanna barf

Why bother reading the thread if it makes you ill? :icon_conf

People are different, accept it. We want different things, I certainly wouldn't try to dissuade others from going turbo if that's their thing, just give the best advice possible or keep my mouth shut.

I dont want to go turbo for a number of reasons;
simply don't know enough about it, don't want more extra stuff that could break, don't need crapload of HP, etc... for me, my goals are 180whp and somewhere in 14 second 1/4 mile and I'm content. Not everyone want's a 400whp sub 13 second car.

SupraJDS

Mar 31, 2006
--
"TURBO LAG IS LIKE FOREPLAY IT MAKES THE EXPIRIENCE HARDER, BETTER, AND LOUDER" - ahahah, thats going in my sig.

K Spec

May 14, 2006
San Diego
Tanya said:

People are different, accept it. We want different things, I certainly wouldn't try to dissuade others from going turbo if that's their thing, just give the best advice possible or keep my mouth shut.

simply don't know enough about it, don't want more extra stuff that could break, don't need crapload of HP, etc... for me, my goals are 180whp and somewhere in 14 second 1/4 mile and I'm content. Not everyone want's a 400whp sub 13 second car.
Well, I'm glad to find someone on this forum, who has a goal, other than getting from one end of a straight line to the other, as quickly as possible. The Supra was designed to be a performance car not a big power car.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
Tanya said:

And since your car isn't a portly pig, you can get away with a lower output motor and still run good.

Big Wang Bandit

You Can't Quit Me Baby
Feb 21, 2006
San Ramon, CA - 925!
Tanya said:

Amen! I like having somthing simple for now. Then when im outta school I can probably afford to complicate things a bit!

Tanya

Supramania Contributor
Aug 15, 2005
Naples, FL
MKIII N00b said:
did you say 180? because the supra is 200 stock...yeah but maybe your not talking about the supra. yeah.

I was referring to myself, a mkII owner with a measly 160hp 5MGE.
I dyno'd 132whp stock, and 144whp with a header/exhaust. Haven't dyno'd with the ceramic coated intake yet. Planning on upgrading soon to a 70+mm throttle body as soon as I can get one, and an extra intake plenum to mess around with.

And since your car isn't a portly pig, you can get away with a lower output motor and still run good.

True, however the 7MGE is obviously bigger in displacement with a "better" flowing head, so assuming you do lightening mods, a "high hp" n/a mkIII should run decently too. Wouldn't expect a full weight targa automatic car to run worth a damn.

DEFIANT 7M

101MM stroke of INSANITY!
Mar 30, 2005
Nashville/Miami
Wills7MGTE said:
all this talk of NA tuning is making wanna barf, if ya want a "powerful" NA buy a trans am or a vette, and I can't believe I heard a member of this forum actually say "I don't wanna have to go turbo" WTF my ears are still bleeding from that, doesn't want the lag, well build a good turbo setup with a medium sized quick spooling turbo, besides lag is only for 1st and maybe part of 2nd gear anyways so get over it the power it makes is worth the wait..

"TURBO LAG IS LIKE FOREPLAY IT MAKES THE EXPIRIENCE HARDER, BETTER, AND LOUDER"
I guess you need to get a "BIG Barf Bag". A Trans Am or a Vette:3d_frown: I would not waste my money! Nice cars but not my thing. Replies like this really show how close minded three letters can make you (GTE:( )

Jspec7m88

Dec 3, 2005
Nappy City
MKIII N00b said:
damn...i just want the damn response and no lag. i know there are forums about this, but thats all i ask for! hehe.

If this is the case, get a V8.:icon_bigg LOL
No, if you no wanty no laggy, Ballbearing is pretty minimal lag(depending on what hairdryder is strapped on)...
Heck, My 60-1 CT is clipped 10 degrees and althought there is "some" lag...it's nothing worth :cry: about...I :love: It!!!

TRACKMKIII

Banned
Feb 17, 2006
Atlanta,GA
I thought we created the N/A setion to stop all of the N/A bashing!! Not trying to be an asshole but if you don't have any advice or pointers besides "You need a turbo" when someone asks about making more power while staying N/A dont post in the thread after all this is the N/A section, its not like he asked the question in the turbo section. Anyway N/A guys keep your heads up!! I just got my ported and polished head and intake manifold back on Friday and my freshly rebuilt short block is waiting for all of the other misc. performance parts!! I will start removing the old engine on monday and I hope to have the new one in by next Sunday, then I will do a few weeks of break in driving and off to the dyno!! I believe 240-260 rwhp :naughty:

Jspec7m88

Dec 3, 2005
Nappy City
Hey, All show and love from me. I was looking at the "last posted" on the main page and saw this thread and it interested me. NOTHING wrong with an N/A...I'd just like to see one built so that I can show some losers around here that a Supra doesn't have to be Turbo to be fast and it will STILL beat their Civic, you know what I mean? :)

Fuzz420

Are U Here 2 take My Baby
Jspec7m88 said:
Hey, All show and love from me. I was looking at the "last posted" on the main page and saw this thread and it interested me. NOTHING wrong with an N/A...I'd just like to see one built so that I can show some losers around here that a Supra doesn't have to be Turbo to be fast and it will STILL beat their Civic, you know what I mean? :)

Im not even built, but i dont even race civics nemore, no fun :)

Jervis Mcstabby

Puddin Pops!
Jun 21, 2006
Where Indeed, CA
www.myspace.com
BosoMKII said:
Not true. There are lots of upgrades you can do.

12psi? Where did you get that number? I have seen many engines that are "not supposed to be boosted" hold plenty of boost and HP. Its all in the tune.
It's an average number that I got from different MK3s. I also never said you couldn't upgrade the N/A as a whole (I have one, too:biglaugh: ), there's just only so much you can do without a Turbo. That or you could hunt down a unicor...I mean a 7M-GZE.:naughty:

Last edited:

AGlobalThreat

Acceleration
Apr 4, 2005
Santa Clarita
TRACKMKIII said:
I thought we created the N/A setion to stop all of the N/A bashing!! Not trying to be an asshole but if you don't have any advice or pointers besides "You need a turbo" when someone asks about making more power while staying N/A dont post in the thread after all this is the N/A section, its not like he asked the question in the turbo section. Anyway N/A guys keep your heads up!! I just got my ported and polished head and intake manifold back on Friday and my freshly rebuilt short block is waiting for all of the other misc. performance parts!! I will start removing the old engine on monday and I hope to have the new one in by next Sunday, then I will do a few weeks of break in driving and off to the dyno!! I believe 240-260 rwhp :naughty:

What other mods do u have? What internals? Drivetrain?

suprahooked

Built 7M
Jun 20, 2006
pa
I have a 1987 supra with a n/a motor with an hks exhaust mani, hks external wastegate(rare?).It has an airresearch turbo. I bought the car with this setup a couple months ago. Its currently running 4-5psi and pulls decent. Im not quite sure whats all done to it but i put a 3mm hks headgasket on it. How much boost could i run saftely and how could i run it saftely thanks for the advice. Steven

Tanya

Supramania Contributor
Aug 15, 2005
Naples, FL
:ugh2:
suprahooked said:
I have a 1987 supra with a n/a motor with an hks exhaust mani, hks external wastegate(rare?).It has an airresearch turbo. I bought the car with this setup a couple months ago. Its currently running 4-5psi and pulls decent. Im not quite sure whats all done to it but i put a 3mm hks headgasket on it. How much boost could i run saftely and how could i run it saftely thanks for the advice. Steven

welcome to the n/a thread :ugh2:

TRACKMKIII

Banned
Feb 17, 2006
Atlanta,GA
AGlobalThreat said:
What other mods do u have? What internals? Drivetrain?

Mods

HKS SMF inatake
Custom intake pipe
Ported & Polished head
Port matched intake manifold
HKS MHG 1mm
MSD wires
MSD Blaster Coil
MSD 6A box (Finally picked it up from my friend today!!)
Pacesetter Header w/ 3inch downpipe
3 inch exhaust all the way back w/ test pipe (I can remove the test pipe with 4 bolts and put in a cat when it is emission time)
Aluminum One piece drive shaft

The internals are stock. I just picked up a low mileage engine from a place called Japanese Engines, then I ripped it apart and sent the head and block off to Chix machine shop. There was material removed from the head and the block but I don't have the exact amounts sitting in from of me right now, they are written down at work where I am putting everything together. I rebuilt it with the help of one of the master techs at work with new stock bearings, piston rings and bolts. ( I wish I had the money for ARP bolts :3d_frown: )

Last edited: