Glass from usdm mirrors into jdm folding?

eman2289

Noob..but not incompetent
Feb 23, 2007
Jersey
Is it possible to swap the glass and electronics out of my pre89 stock mirrors into a set of JDM power folding mirrors? And what else is needed besides the mirrors in order to make them work? Thanks in advance.

mjtoll23

almost a TT-R
Apr 14, 2007
VA
I have the rhd folding mirrors. It does take a little while to get used to. The drivers side I was able to adjust enough that it didnt bother me. The passenger side was just looking off about 3 lanes over. I picked up a convex mirror (like the kind for trucks or towing) from advanced auto. Its just doubled sided taped in place. Its fairly discrete and the mirrors can still fully fold in. Even better, I can see my blind spots!

spinningheadboy

Ich bin gegan alles
Apr 1, 2005
idaho
RHD Power folding mirrors=Bad idea.

I'm sure anything can be rigged up to work, just some time and effort and a bit o cash. :)

cwd

ViR2

Supraniac
May 20, 2006
Lithuania
www.hpaddict.eu
just get a custom glass and you'r ok ;)
RHD folding mirrors are the same as LHD EDM mirros. If u cant find some localy, PM me, I have a few sets in my garage, so I could ship you the glasses.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
depending on how much adjustment they have, you should really have your mirrors out a more than just down the side of your car to eliminate blind spots...

I'd have to see for myself, or explain how to align them if they have some RHD mirrors...

mjtoll23

almost a TT-R
Apr 14, 2007
VA
Poodles;903633 said:
depending on how much adjustment they have, you should really have your mirrors out a more than just down the side of your car to eliminate blind spots...

I'd have to see for myself, or explain how to align them if they have some RHD mirrors...

Like I said, you can definetely use them its just not perfect. The drivers side mirror is fine, you can adjust it enough so you can see the side of the car if you want. The passenger side is another story. I just put a small adhesive backed convex mirror on it in the lower corner. Now I can a car in my blind spot, curbs, and still have the full power jdm mirrors.

May 18, 2007
Aarhus
Just get the mirror glas from the european manual folding mirrors.

Take out the mirror glas and stuff it in the oven for ten minutes at 100C then pop out the glas. Do the same with the JDM mirrors.

Cut a bit of the JDM plastic support and put it in the oven for a few minutes.

Insert mirror and you are done.

Now you have correct glass and you have retained the heater function.

Heated-JDM-Folding.jpg

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
Or just go to any glass shop that has a clue and have them cut you a new set of mirror glass. :)

May 18, 2007
Aarhus
Yes you can do that if you live in the US and don't have european mirrors.

Otherwise it's a 0$ and 10 min job.

Besides it was stated in the thread that it couldn't be done.

keo

Apr 2, 2005
RI
+1 for jdm power-folding for coolness. (how many US cars do u see that can powerfold their mirrors)

just trun your head over ur shoulder if you have to go in the right lane.

i tried for awhile to find a replacement mirror(just gave up) and got used to looking over my shoulder.

SuprA70

SF.com 'Grounded' Champ
The USDM mirror glass is sized differently. Euro mirrors are still power adjust, just manual folding. Other than the power folding option (which gets old pretty quick), the European manual folding mirrors have the proper optics for LHD.

RHD mirrors are designed for RHD cars. You reduce visibility and increase your mirror blindspot. Some would still argue they can see out of them... well, let's say I prefer not to be next to them on the road.

If you insist on using them in a LHD car, have a passenger ride and check your mirrors for you at all times :icon_razz