Furious But Lazy 7M owner who gave Up.

Turbo Habanero

Apr 28, 2009
Tucson,AZ
Grandavi;1946352 said:
Stupid question time...

Explain "double clutching"
It was something old trucks and cars use to have to do with there old transmissions but technology has come a long way :)

My definition = A waste of time lol.

Fast and Furious Definition = Race Car

Wiki Definition = A double clutch (also called a double declutch) is a method of shifting gears primarily used for vehicles with an unsynchronized manual transmission, such as commercial trucks and specialty vehicles. A double clutch is not necessary in a vehicle that has a synchronized manual transmission. Opposed to operating a single clutch by holding the clutch in once and shifting directly to another gear, a double clutch is operated by first shifting the transmission into neutral before shifting to the next desired gear. The clutch is held with each change

Grandavi

Sep 25, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Thanks!

My r154 forces my to "double clutch" first to second normally. I could speed shift the w58 but I thought that was an inherent flaw with the r154. It doesn't like fast shifting until second-third. And I don't even bother down shifting from second to first... The forks don't seem to like it.
I know my 72 and 80 celicas allowed me to speed shift fast enough I barely had to tap the clutch... But there was a lot less power pushing.

Always just considered the R154 as more of a race-from-a-roll transmission in its native format.

Turbo Habanero

Apr 28, 2009
Tucson,AZ
Grandavi;1946421 said:
Thanks!

My r154 forces my to "double clutch" first to second normally. I could speed shift the w58 but I thought that was an inherent flaw with the r154. It doesn't like fast shifting until second-third. And I don't even bother down shifting from second to first... The forks don't seem to like it.
I know my 72 and 80 celicas allowed me to speed shift fast enough I barely had to tap the clutch... But there was a lot less power pushing.

Always just considered the R154 as more of a race-from-a-roll transmission in its native format.
i think your R154 is on it's way out sir. :( maybe just a Slave or Master problem tho

my fav thing to do with my old 7M was power shift 1st to 2nd and 2nd to 3rd if i did that i could keep the tires spinning all the way till about 75mph lol it was Enjoyable

Albert

Custom CT26, CT12a, CT20 upgrades
May 13, 2009
Tempe, AZ
Turbo Habanero;1946422 said:
i think your R154 is on it's way out sir. :( maybe just a Slave or Master problem tho

my fav thing to do with my old 7M was power shift 1st to 2nd and 2nd to 3rd if i did that i could keep the tires spinning all the way till about 75mph lol it was Enjoyable

Sounds like you need tires.... Even my 700hp doesn't do that lol. Must be all dat 7m torque

IndigoMKII

May 9, 2011
Madison, Virginia
I can only spin my tires up to about 35, then it's all grab and go from there. That's with trying to make them spin.

If I'm trying to launch it, I get a little bit of spin at the top of first but I'll shift slow enough into 2nd to give the tires a chance to grip before disengaging the clutch.

Turbo Habanero

Apr 28, 2009
Tucson,AZ
IndigoMKII;1946440 said:
I can only spin my tires up to about 35, then it's all grab and go from there. That's with trying to make them spin.

If I'm trying to launch it, I get a little bit of spin at the top of first but I'll shift slow enough into 2nd to give the tires a chance to grip before disengaging the clutch.

RS3's are a far world from what i had lol.

Grandavi

Sep 25, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
My R154 has been like this since I bought it. I've ignored it mostly because it shifts fine other than stiff from 1-2 or 3-2, 2-1. Could be just a bent fork or maybe worn synchros. It's strong except for that. Figured the trany was fine unless I want to go track it for quarter runs... If I did that I would rebuild

Turbo Habanero

Apr 28, 2009
Tucson,AZ
Ill let the media do the talking.

[Video=youtube;OZOzJmdNYCQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OZOzJmdNYCQ[/video]

p1962435_1.jpg

Turbo Habanero

Apr 28, 2009
Tucson,AZ
IJ.;1962436 said:
Time for another hobby Jordan....
I think you're right. Just wish I knew what caused it. :-/ car has not been driven more then 1,700 miles since I got it back. Never ran more then 9psi lol. Just sucks.

Ds650rida

Mar 19, 2007
Jersey
www.myspace.com
Regarding the double clutch discussion:

I double clutch all the time to downshift. If you do it properly it engages into a lower gear much easier than trying to single clutch. Based on theory, the blocker rings in the synchro's are designed to slow down the next gear and not speed it up. Some will argue that its the same purpose of matching the speed, but the results dont lie for me. And i've been doing it for years on multiple cars.

As a matter of fact, I used to double clutch while upshifting on really cold mornings so that my miata wouldnt scratch 2nd and 3rd gear. Just food for thought, its not a technique thats totally obsolete.

Regarding the build: this thread is making me very motivated to buy another supra. Good work and good luck. I just read through every word inside of an 8 hour work day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Last edited: