First oil change after rebuild- health of engine ? [Pics]

Status
Not open for further replies.

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
I vote leak in cooling system. You can rent a cooling system pressure tester for free from most auto stores. I'll bet you hear a hissing sound from a coolant hose. Maybe in the back of the head. ;)

For future reference, I always replace the 90 degree hose, the clamps AND the union (the metal piece that actually fits into the head). The union piece is like $7 from Toyota. Totally worth it.

aloshan

night ryda
Dec 7, 2010
Sydney, Australia, Australia
thanks for all the help guys , will definitely be doing a pressure test. Yes every 7m owner goes to BHG as their first thought ESPECIALLY if they see coolant....

will also replace the coolant hose on the turbo side of the head underneath the CPS

does anyone have a pic of this , link of this part in the tsrm?

thanks again for the help much appreciated , will do pressure test and report back.

Rickstar22

Rocker...Not Hippie
Feb 22, 2011
Graham-Puyallup, WA
Backlash2032;1802692 said:
Its probably the 90* hose at the back of the head, or the heater hose. I wouldn't jump immediately to BHG just because its a 7M..

This...

I had the same problem shortly after my build. I didn't get the clamp tight enough, but this hose is known to fail.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
ForcedTorque;1802744 said:
When dirt gets on my car, I immidiately think " Oh shit, is it BHG"? It's a natural first thought whenever there is a problem.
Your car has trained you well sir. :p

suprarx7nut;1802751 said:
I vote leak in cooling system. You can rent a cooling system pressure tester for free from most auto stores. I'll bet you hear a hissing sound from a coolant hose. Maybe in the back of the head. ;)

For future reference, I always replace the 90 degree hose, the clamps AND the union (the metal piece that actually fits into the head). The union piece is like $7 from Toyota. Totally worth it.
You do this IN the car, or do you pull the motor? Had to do that when they milled my 7m head a long time ago, the original one was frozen in place.

Rickstar22;1802807 said:
This...

I had the same problem shortly after my build. I didn't get the clamp tight enough, but this hose is known to fail.
I also had this problem, didn't tighten the clamp on that hose on the back of the head enough. I was afraid that I was going to crush the union fitting's pipe, as I used to have a problem of over-torquing things. Ended up leaking all over the top of the transmission, I thought I had BHG again already...

gats;1802878 said:
If you have not already, replace EVERY cooling/heater hose on your car......

http://www.supramania.com/forums/showthread.php?114793-All-7M-GTE-coolant-hoses
Not a bad idea at all. While you're at it, PLEASE tell me that you're using distilled water in your coolant...

aloshan

night ryda
Dec 7, 2010
so removed the dump pipe today. didnt seem to be any visible oil :

p1804080_1.jpg

p1804080_2.jpg

Towards cat and muffler - no blockage

p1804080_3.jpg

Just the usual amount of smoke appearing after the dump pipe was removed. Didn't seem to be extremely white or excessive , just normal exhaust fumes. How can this be?

[video]http://s1222.photobucket.com/albums/dd484/aloshandookie/?action=view&current=video-2012-02-12-15-35-30.mp4[/video]

Also it was suggested that there might be oil in the lines running to and form the iscv as the white smoke happened mostly during idle. Disconnected the lines , their seemed to be a little oil as you can see:

p1804080_4.jpg

After all this , the smoke still exists , only when warm and only during idle.

Dont know what else to do...

Typhoon

Jun 30, 2007
ACT
1400km after rebuild? Let me guess, you've been babying it, driving it to and from work? I've seen rings take 5000kms to bed in and that's not uncommon. Did you do the rebuild? What were the bore clearances set at?

aloshan

night ryda
Dec 7, 2010
Typhoon;1804088 said:
1400km after rebuild? Let me guess, you've been babying it, driving it to and from work? I've seen rings take 5000kms to bed in and that's not uncommon. Did you do the rebuild? What were the bore clearances set at?

did not do the rebuild myself ,was done by someone experiences with the 7m. Not sure what the bore learances where at.

Yes I was babying it and driving it to and from work (20km is each) twice a week. Dont baby it as much now though but still dont thrash it due to the white smoke problem

5000km to bed in?? are you serious? ive never heard it take that along before. Assumed that if they havnt bedded in by now im fucked...

Typhoon

Jun 30, 2007
ACT
Drive the car. Go for a nice hour or two drive, get everything well and truly up to temperature. Don't maintain a set speed too long, do some reasonably heavy accelerations up to about 3-4k rpm here and there, load the engine up.
Just don't rev it to redline, a little boost won't hurt.
Driving 20km each way in traffic is not a great way to seat rings.

aloshan

night ryda
Dec 7, 2010
Typhoon;1804096 said:
Drive the car. Go for a nice hour or two drive, get everything well and truly up to temperature. Don't maintain a set speed too long, do some reasonably heavy accelerations up to about 3-4k rpm here and there, load the engine up.
Just don't rev it to redline, a little boost won't hurt.
Driving 20km each way in traffic is not a great way to seat rings.

yes but ive done this numerous times already. Did heavy accelerations. This problem only started happning after my first oil change after the rebuild. Been driving about 300km since this problem occurred , so rings should have bedded by now or excessive oil should of been burnt off....

aloshan

night ryda
Dec 7, 2010
IJ.;1804201 said:
ALL of the threads on this one topic Merged into one place, every single thought you have doesn't require a separate thread.

why thank you IAN , wanted to put them into the correct sections (turbo ques , auto ques , engine ques) etc but I guess this way is preferable? :)

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
aloshan;1804238 said:
why thank you IAN , wanted to put them into the correct sections (turbo ques , auto ques , engine ques) etc but I guess this way is preferable? :)
The same people that are interested in helping you will be able to answer all of the questions, there's no need to scatter it all over the forum it just makes it harder to get an overall view of the "problem"..

SaltyMKIII

the dude abides
Mar 30, 2010
Queens, New York
I would bet my money on your turbo. The same thing happened to me when I rebuilt my old supra a long time ago but I knew the turbo was shot, I had to save up and get it rebuilt. I recommend either getting a new turbo, rebuild, or upgrade...

Typhoon

Jun 30, 2007
ACT
Coincidence, it does not apply to engines. All these problems are linked to one issue. OP doesn't know jack about engines, and instead of cluttering up the forums with questions and refusing to listen to very knowledgeable people, he should just spend a few hundred dollars at a mechanic.
I guess the OP is the epitomy of what happens when intarnetz knowlegggge is believed to be actual knowledge and inspires a false sense of knowing better than people with 20+ years of experience with old engines and cars.

Status
Not open for further replies.