First oil change after rebuild- health of engine ? [Pics]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Turbo Habanero

Apr 28, 2009
Tucson,AZ
Or freaky dumb luck witch has happened to me more then once my friend.

Also i would start running 0w30 if i were you.

There are plenty of video's on youtube on how to do a compression test and usually cost about $60USD or one hour labor at a mechanic for Compression test

aloshan

night ryda
Dec 7, 2010
Sydney, Australia, Australia
Turbo Habanero;1793081 said:
Or freaky dumb luck witch has happened to me more then once my friend.

Also i would start running 0w30 if i were you.

There are plenty of video's on youtube on how to do a compression test and usually cost about $60USD or one hour labor at a mechanic for Compression test

yeah i know, but whats the chances of it blowing white smoke the exact time i did the oil change.

bought a cheapo compression test kit online , hopefully its here by this weekend. Any other recommendations in the meantime?

Turbo Habanero

Apr 28, 2009
Tucson,AZ
nope just need a 14mm or 16mm can't remember and take off the top intercooler pipe and throttle linkage and the coil pack that's it.

you need a

10,12,14 0r 16mm that's it

I'm sure you know this but there right in between the valve covers :)

aloshan

night ryda
Dec 7, 2010
Turbo Habanero;1793089 said:
nope just need a 14mm or 16mm can't remember and take off the top intercooler pipe and throttle linkage and the coil pack that's it.

you need a

10,12,14 0r 16mm that's it

I'm sure you know this but there right in between the valve covers :)

cool, thanks :)

aloshan

night ryda
Dec 7, 2010
MA70AEROTOP;1793112 said:
does it smell "oily" generally white smoke is Coolent and BLuey/white is oil smoke

doesnt really smell oily , smells more like gas...but not overpowering strong gas. Defiently doesnt smell sweet.

Other people have suggested my turbo seal, will have to have a look this weekend

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
6a00e54f871a9c8833013484e42980970c-500wi

Apr 6, 2005
Alpharetta, GA
General rule of thumb:
Blue smoke - Rings
Puff of smoke at startup - Valve seals
Black smoke - Too much fuel
White smoke - (1) Coolant if smells sweet (glycol), (2) turbo seals (usually prevalent during decel' and idle)

MPR

John 3:16
Dec 17, 2011
Toronto, Ontario
Aloshan, Post a video of this "smoke" for us to see and better judge what may be going on here. I've seen oil smoke from a blown oil seal on a turbo look very white.

Have you already replaced the original hg?

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
aloshan;1793062 said:
ive also filled in 5.5L (about 5.8 quarts) oil from empty
Nothing wrong with running a quart over whatever the manual recommends on our cars. In fact, I suggest that you do. Might have saved me a knocking bottom end on my old 7m after a particularly nice burnout a few years back... I run between 6 and 7 quarts in my 1j.

aloshan;1793088 said:
nooooooooooooooooooo

its not a BHG Im almost 100% sure of that! I will check though. Is it difficult to remove the plugs to get to the cylinders on a 7mgte?
Not terribly hard, and cheap insurance. Been at least 3 years since I worked on a 7m, but on the turbo models, I think you can get by without removing the top intercooler pipe over the engine. Just need a fairly long extension, if you have any wobbly adapters, that could help as well. On an NA, I don't think this is possible due to the y-pipe... good luck!

aloshan;1793195 said:
what am I denying? a possible HG issue? I will never blow my head gasket!!
:rofl:

Never? Boy are you WAY too sure of yourself. :biggrinbo

aloshan

night ryda
Dec 7, 2010
te72;1793352 said:
Nothing wrong with running a quart over whatever the manual recommends on our cars. In fact, I suggest that you do. Might have saved me a knocking bottom end on my old 7m after a particularly nice burnout a few years back... I run between 6 and 7 quarts in my 1j.

Not terribly hard, and cheap insurance. Been at least 3 years since I worked on a 7m, but on the turbo models, I think you can get by without removing the top intercooler pipe over the engine. Just need a fairly long extension, if you have any wobbly adapters, that could help as well. On an NA, I don't think this is possible due to the y-pipe... good luck!

:rofl:

Never? Boy are you WAY too sure of yourself. :biggrinbo

Lol , i keep telling myself that in hope that I wont be a tragic BHG victim

jake8790

Life's too short for N/A
Dec 18, 2011
Oregon
Is the overflow reservoir bubbling air out of the hose? If not, HG is probably fine. Did you check the turbo for shaft play? My friend's 7M is pouring white smoke from a blown turbo, so much shaft play the turbo won't spin if you push sideways on the shaft. And fwiw I run 6 quarts in my 7M as well.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
aloshan;1793481 said:
Lol , i keep telling myself that in hope that I wont be a tragic BHG victim
Sorry for the nightmares (your other thread) haha... Just look at it like I do:

A BHG is your car's way of testing you. Happens to damn near all of us at some point, it's a near inevitability with "virgin" 7m's I think. If you take the time to repair it right, you passed the test, and your car should reward you accordingly. Apparently I didn't do mine right... either that or she's a mean spirited bitch. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.