Emilio's NewRedSupra

92nsx

Supramania Contributor
Sep 30, 2005
Clearwater, MN
Just swap in a small bock chevy, like a LS6, LS2, with a T-56 tranny and never have to worry about the engine again.. If you want I can sell You my V and you have a compleat car to take all the parts off in the world ;-)

emiliorescigno

Supramania Contributor
Sep 17, 2006
Woodbury, MN
92nsx;1953809 said:
Just swap in a small bock chevy, like a LS6, LS2, with a T-56 tranny and never have to worry about the engine again.. If you want I can sell You my V and you have a compleat car to take all the parts off in the world ;-)

Or I just buy the V and drive that, no need to swap it into a Supra. :)

AbsoluteSpeed

Aug 8, 2007
Edmonton AB
If you don't do the 1j VVTi I'd go with option 2. Build it now so you're not tempted to redo it in the future.

KevinM;1953141 said:
I'll put some info together and should be able to answer most of your questions. It'll just take me a few days or whatnot to get it written down.

-That's prob a good point though that more of the info should be documented for the community to see. I'll see what I can put together.

Lately I've been thinking a 1.5jz VVTi swap would be amazing. So please share what info you have.

NecroCyde

Lurk R
Apr 5, 2005
Calgary/Brooks, Alberta Canada
emiliorescigno;1951447 said:
City vs. Highway is the biggest difference. There are two roadtrips in my data - in late April Early May and then also this one in July. The trans-Canada highway also has a speed limit of 90 kph, which translates to roughly 55mph. I didn't want to speed, since speeding fines are stiff, ($10k for 50kph over the limit!!!!), and having to make a court appearance in another country is not my idea of a great vacation.

The rest of it is driving around town, to work, etc. I'm more comfortable flogging the car when I'm not too far from home vs. driving out on the Canadian shield too :)

Gas in Canada is expensive compared to the US. I think I did my conversion pretty accurately, but gas there was $1.509 CDN for 1 Liter. There are $0.95 USD in $1 CDN, and there are ~3.8 liters in 1 gallon. Back when the Canadian dollar was stronger than the US Dollar, things were extra painful! Around where I live in MN is very close if not a little below the national average.

You saw 90 km/h speed limits on the Trans-Canada in Ontario!?@!? Good lord that's terrible, Here its 110! Backwards Province, lol.

emiliorescigno

Supramania Contributor
Sep 17, 2006
Woodbury, MN
Well, I've been making some decisions recently. I have decided I will *not* be building the 7M for power, so that leaves me with one decision:

1. Do a simple/basic rebuild so I can enjoy the car for the time being, saving for a JZ swap.
2. Swap now!

This has sort of lit a fire under my ass, as I've started selling any 7M performance parts I have around, as well as re-doubling my efforts in selling the Blue car.

PS: Anybody want a Cartech intercooler? :D

emiliorescigno

Supramania Contributor
Sep 17, 2006
Woodbury, MN
Tore down basically the whole motor and damn near everything else over the last few weeks. Rod bearings look surprisingly good considering the knocking, but there is other damage on cylinder #6. I'll let the pics do the talking:

emiliorescigno

Supramania Contributor
Sep 17, 2006
Woodbury, MN
Silver MK3;1959948 said:
So have you decided what you will be doing for a motor?

I've been sitting tight for now, building up funds so I can do whichever I plan on doing. I have a ton of spare parts and stuff in my garage I need to get rid of, in addition to my Blue Supra that I really need to get sold. If that car sells soon (in the next couple weeks), decisions will be made, and things should take off.

Silver MK3

Jan 24, 2011
Madison, AL
emiliorescigno;1959949 said:
I've been sitting tight for now, building up funds so I can do whichever I plan on doing. I have a ton of spare parts and stuff in my garage I need to get rid of, in addition to my Blue Supra that I really need to get sold. If that car sells soon (in the next couple weeks), decisions will be made, and things should take off.

Cool. I'll definitely be watching. I love the way the red one looks in your signature. I cant believe your blue Supra hasn't sold yet. If I was in the market for another Supra I'd consider driving up to Minnesota, it looks super clean.

toyotanos

What will we break today?
Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 29, 2008
Coon Rapids, MN
Hmmm, not at all what I was expecting to see inside! Overbore would be needed to save that block- but could be a lil pricey. If cheap 7M is the route, used engine will be needed. Hmm...

emiliorescigno

Supramania Contributor
Sep 17, 2006
Woodbury, MN
toyotanos;1960062 said:
Hmmm, not at all what I was expecting to see inside! Overbore would be needed to save that block- but could be a lil pricey. If cheap 7M is the route, used engine will be needed. Hmm...

Really? What causes damage like this? I was under the impression from my relatively nooby understanding of engine internals that this was piston slap, and that a hone and a new set of piston rings (as well as a replacement piston) would be enough to solve my ills.

toyotanos

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 29, 2008
Coon Rapids, MN
Oh, it may have started as slap, but it's gone far beyond that into full on scuffing if the piston skirt and likely bore damage (or at least it appears that way from the pictures).

I'd guess that the engine/piston got hot and the oil wasn't able to keep it lubricated properly, and it started to scuff a little bit, but got worse and worse as it drove on. Once the skirt collapsed the piston was free to slap about freely, which lead to more scuffing and more damage.

I'm probably taking your trans out tonight, I'll shoot you a call/text to see if you're up for me to stop by if I finish with decent daylight left.

emiliorescigno

Supramania Contributor
Sep 17, 2006
Woodbury, MN
Steve stopped by yesterday, and our suspicions are confirmed: She's dead Jim.

Lots of scuffing on the bores means it will need to be machined. Some scratches on the crank journals will need to be addressed.

Seeing as rebuilding the 7M would be a "cheap and temporary" choice, and the rebuild requires quite a bit more work than expected, it's JZ time! The plan is to do a 1JZ-GTE VVTi swap, hopefully running by spring, funds allowing. If the blue car sells, no problem making that goal. If not, things may not get done as quickly. That being said, a full part out of the 7M is going to start shortly. There will be a local Supra swap meet that would be handy to sell things at, but beyond that, a FS thread should start pretty soon.

The goals of the swap will be:
-Reliable driving on mostly stock components, this car needs to be capable of a road trip at the drop of a hat, and I'm willing to sacrifice performance to get this.
-Most or all "luxuries" functioning as intended. This includes A/C, Cruise, Power Steering (PPS Perhaps?), ABS, etc.
-"Clean" installation of the motor and components. I want this car to look as nice as it drives. No wires and hoses running all over the engine bay, no tape, as few zip ties as possible. I want to be able to show up at Cars & Coffee and not get turned away.

Now, time to open up the wallet!

toyotanos

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 29, 2008
Coon Rapids, MN
I know, right? I officially have more seat time in Emilio's car than he does! (well, with the current setup, that is)

It's a nice setup. I think y'all are going to like it a lot. Not flashy, not loud or obnoxious, and definitely not hackey-sack.

Oh, and his goal of getting into Cars and Coffee was a great success, so that's a big 'ole
Mission-Accomplished-251x300.jpg