Emilio's NewRedSupra

emiliorescigno

Supramania Contributor
Sep 17, 2006
Woodbury, MN
gtsfirefighter;2013950 said:
Emilio it's time to update this. Just sayin...

I probably should! I've been crazy busy recently, hopefully I cobble something together soon to present the car in its current condition.

toyotanos;2013951 said:
I know, right? I officially have more seat time in Emilio's car than he does! (well, with the current setup, that is)

It's a nice setup. I think y'all are going to like it a lot. Not flashy, not loud or obnoxious, and definitely not hackey-sack.

Oh, and his goal of getting into Cars and Coffee was a great success, so that's a big 'ole
http://jerrykremer.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/Mission-Accomplished-251x300.jpg

And feel free to keep driving it! I really should go get the car out of your hair...I kinda miss it, haha

AbsoluteSpeed;2014098 said:
Hope he went with the 1J vvti like he mentioned. I'd love to learn more about that setup and what is involved in the swap.

I did! The swap is working and has ~150 miles on it now. More to come when I have time, and I'll give the complete run-down. :D

In the meantime, here's a picture from cars and coffee...

10491117_10100998960248011_4465327276058348039_n.jpg

10491117_10100998960248011_4465327276058348039_n.jpg

emiliorescigno

Supramania Contributor
Sep 17, 2006
Woodbury, MN
I think I'm going to create a new thread for the car, post swap.

So a quick rundown on the swap...

I used a 1JZ-GTE VVTi from a Toyota Chaser, 1997-2001, chassis code "JZX100".

The 1JZ-GTE VVTi was found in several vehicles, but namely late Toyota Soarers (98-00), and a large number of "X" Chassis Vehicles (Chaser, Cresta, Mark II, Verossa, etc. etc.)

A couple details about the 1JZ-GTE VVTi:
1. Two revisions of the engine were made - '97 - '01 (JZX100 Chassis Cars), and '02 - '07 (JZX110 Chassis Cars).
2. JZX110 engines have drive by wire (similar to an IS300, Aristo, etc.) They might have other differences, but I'm not particularly familiar.
3. The JZX100 engine I have does NOT have OBD2 - it came with an "diagnostic" port very similar to our Supras.
4. The bottom end is the same as early twin-turbo 1JZs. None of that weak 2JZ-GE VVTi crap.
5. The ignition system is extraordinarily similar to 2JZ-GE VVTi engines. VVTi 1JZ-GTEs have wasted spark with coils just like IS300s and AFMs. No MAP sensor.
6. 1JZ-GTE VVTi engines have a single turbo from the factory, a "CT15b". The turbo is journal-bearing, and has a ceramic exhaust wheel, just like other JDM JZ engines. They are known to fail at similar rates to twin-turbo 1JZs.
7. I've read anecdotally that 1JZ-GTE VVTi ECUs have similar cap problems to early 1JZs.

The car is running well (for the most part), and I've probably put about 400 miles on the car since the swap. Right now the engine is stock except for a Tomei turbo elbow + 3" exhaust, external oil cooler (still giving me grief with leaks), and a Blitz Dual Drive BOV.

I promise I'll try to get pictures soon, but I'm at work and the car is at home. I really like the engine; it's strong and smooth, and sounds fantastic. The BOV I'm less happy with, it sounds strange and still seems to flutter and surge at low RPMS/low boost. I'm re-learning the world of R154s - after driving a Honda Del Sol as my "fun car" for the last few months, I HATE shifting the R154; the Honda is so slick and smooth in comparison.

I still have a laundry list of things to finish and clean up:
Cruise Control isn't hooked up. I need to find a way to attach my CC actuator to the JZ throttle body. I want to extent the cable and switch the end; it seems simple enough, but I haven't found a good way to do it yet.
AC needs to be charged. The AC system is complete and SHOULD work, but it needs a charge. It's lower on the priority list than other tasks.
The external oil cooler lines are still leaking. I'm 99% sure it's my improperly done AN fittings that are leaking, but it's more money and more time to finish it up, and these things have given me trouble since day 1.
The turbo burns oil. Yup, intercooler pipes are coated with oil and it'll burn puffs of oil occasionally. I want to decide what replacement turbo to go with. More on that later.
The hotside intercooler pipe has...questionable...routing. It works, but it's alarmingly close to the front sway bar and fan. I will probably be switching to an aftermarket IC and doing custom piping at some point soon.
I need to install my Aeromotive fuel pump. I need to install the pump and do the rewire...more stuff on the list!
I have no solution for the Charcoal Canister installed. Right now I just leave the gas cap loose to prevent pressure buildup. I really want to come up with a more permanent solution.
Oil temperature monitoring. I want to at some point get an oil temperature gauge so I have a better grasp on what's going on.
Transmission leak. It seems like transmission fluid is leaking out of the back of the transmission, even though it's rebuilt. I'm sure the fact that the rear seal was non-OEM has something to do with it.

Any questions anyone has on the swap? I'll post some pics tonight.

IchibanEye

Supramania Contributor
Oct 23, 2013
The Honeycomb Hideout
92nsx;1953809 said:
Just swap in a small bock chevy, like a LS6, LS2, with a T-56 tranny and never have to worry about the engine again.. If you want I can sell You my V and you have a compleat car to take all the parts off in the world ;-)

No way.......booooooo! :)

AbsoluteSpeed;1953830 said:
If you don't do the 1j VVTi I'd go with option 2. Build it now so you're not tempted to redo it in the future.

Lately I've been thinking a 1.5jz VVTi swap would be amazing. So please share what info you have.

Agreed, option 2, build her up and keep it a Supra if you know what I mean. Great thread.

Well, I just finished reading and it is great to know she is back up and running, thanks for the information.

emiliorescigno

Supramania Contributor
Sep 17, 2006
Woodbury, MN
Well, I don't have any pictures, and I don't really update this thread regularly enough, but a few of my friends follow this, so what the hell!

Between now and the last post, I spent at least a solid month of fighting my external oil cooler setup to get it to a state where it won't leak. I ended up having to completely replace all of my lines and fittings with Aeroquip socketless fittings, and it's finally reliably leak-free. The oil cooler is beefy, and the "grab the hose and feel how hot it is" test passes with flying colors. An oil temperature gauge may be in order, but isn't at the tippy-top of my priority list, though it may be nice before the car hits the track next summer. Also, the fuel pump decided to give up the ghost, so it fast-tracked the installation of the Aeromotive 340 I had already purchased. The pump I removed was a generic Chinese replacement. What a surprise. Big shout-out to Steve (toyotanos) for helping install the new pump!

The charcoal canister solution was done - in European Supras, in place of a charcoal canister, they just have a vent off the tank with a valve that allows for just the right amount of pressure to be vented off. I purchased one of those valves, and problem solved!

Transmission leak was fixed. The rear seal included in the DM rebuild kit was awful, and I also replaced the gasket around the top of the shifter housing with an OEM Toyota unit. If I were to do it again, I would purchase all of the bearings and seals from Toyota instead of the bag of cheap Chinese parts the DM kit includes. Live and learn.

My AEM analog gauges (boost and wideband O2) are junk. They're slow to update, and take just long enough to "boot up" when first starting the car to drive me a bit crazy. Having a laggy wideband O2 gauge is really bad; not knowing your exact AFRs in an instant is never a good thing, so I'm looking into new gauge options. Finding some way to roll wideband, boost, and oil temp into my two gauge spots would be ideal, so I'm researching and weighing my options.

Just before storage (the first weekend in October), I took the car to a local Autocross event. It was cold, around 40-45 degrees, and driving was "dicey" to say the least. The tires (Kumho Ecsta LE Sports) felt like hockey pucks, and were totally overwhelmed by the power of the car. I placed horribly, but had a good time driving the car sideways and finally getting to use it again after such a long wait.

The car is now (and has been) in winter storage since October. I brought it somewhere to get it detailed, measured the paint, and found that the paint on the front fenders, hood, and bumper is all so thin that it can't be buffed. It still looks pretty good, but I'm not sure if the perfectionist in me will want to have the front clip repainted and made to nicely match the rest of the car. The driver's front fender is aftermarket as well, which drives me nuts. We'll see how much it bugs me this coming summer.

So now comes plans for the next summer/this winter. It's sort of a revised list of what I posted earlier, and they're my "top 5 concerns".

1. If you notice the threads I've been starting recently, I'm looking into new suspension. The Tokico/Eibach combo is definitely not my cup of tea. The Tokicos feel dramatically "underdamped" in the front, and the car just feels too poorly planted. When autocrossing, it felt like there was a lot of body movement dancing around on top of the suspension. I'm going to get a set of coilovers, but which ones is still subject to debate. Reasonable candidates are Zeal Function Xs, Tein Flex, Ground Control sleeves + Koni struts, and HKS Hipermax II. There's currently a frontrunner, but more on that later.

2. Cruise control still isn't working. It's relatively straightforward, but my personality doesn't work well with custom solutions. Hopefully something can happen in that department.

3. A/C still needs to be recharged. The system should be ready to accept refrigerant, but I don't have the tools or skills to do it myself.

4. The turbo burns oil. I keep waffling between various options, and I'm not sure what route to take. Even though I may eventually go for more power and bigger things, I really don't want to have to dive in right away with a bigger turbo/injectors/standalone/etc. all at once. A stock rebuild would be ideal, but I don't want to get another ceramic exhaust wheel. More research is required.

5. The IC piping is pretty crummy. Ideally, I'd like to get a full IC & piping setup made, and I don't want to make/fab something myself. I'll just open up my wallet to get something done for me when the time is right!

Atlas

You call this a sandwich?
Aug 22, 2012
Clovis CA
Labor of love! I echo your feelings on the eibach/tokico combo. I switched over to BC coilovers and it was dramatic difference. Good luck with the next phase of your build!

emiliorescigno

Supramania Contributor
Sep 17, 2006
Woodbury, MN
Atlas;2032928 said:
Labor of love! I echo your feelings on the eibach/tokico combo. I switched over to BC coilovers and it was dramatic difference. Good luck with the next phase of your build!

Yup, they drive me nuts. My first Supra (a 1990 NA without TEMS) felt like it rode and handled better than my last two with Tokico/Eibachs did, it may be the lens of time that did it, but I'm unsatisfied with my current arrangement either way. I'm all aboard the idea of a set of coilovers, just a little nervous about what I'm going to lose in ride quality.

It's awesome to see another autocrosser on the forums! Most of last AutoX season was done with my '97 Honda Del Sol in HS, not the greatest car in the world, but fun enough to throw around and I was decently competitive with the others in HS locally. With the arrival of the Fiesta ST (and many others) in HS, I'm totally screwed, so I might as well focus on my Supra. I did the engine swap and the works to the car before I got into AutoX for real, so now I'm hopelessly outclassed sitting in SM. My short-term goals are to simply address the Supra's worst weaknesses, and make it a point to trophy out of Novice class (in the local club, once you trophy in Novice, they force you into your "real" class).

emiliorescigno

Supramania Contributor
Sep 17, 2006
Woodbury, MN
Well, I haven't updated this in quite some time.

To update my "top 5" concerns, here's where I'm at.

1. Suspension.
I ended up getting a set of Ground Control Coilovers. They aren't listed for sale on GC's site, but I called them up, and they said they could make a kit to match the Koni struts that are available for MKIIIs. I got them, and boom!

acac3d2769206ee7560b418c133d2954.jpg

I'm really happy with them. Ride quality is mostly preserved and not jittery, and the handling is vastly improved.

There are a few downsides. The rears don't go very low, so I'd need to get a new set of springs to lower it more. Also, it's a huge PITA to adjust the struts, which is really a Koni problem.

More to come!

emiliorescigno

Supramania Contributor
Sep 17, 2006
Woodbury, MN
Task 2: Cruise Control.

A huge thanks to Steve (toyotanos) for this one. He built a simple but very effective bracket for the throttle and cruise control cables. The steps were as follows:
1. Cut the ball off of an extra 7M throttle bracket and weld it to the cruise control bellcrank on the JZ.
2. Reposition throttle and cruise cables using super awesome bracket.
3. Attach 7M actuator to the modified bellcrank. And cruise away!

c9f520c0c0d202ed8e6e0e49cc000c2c.jpg

f39f19b9125bbef78de57195de94ae6c.jpg

Task 3: Air Conditioning.

Again, big thanks to Steve for this one. I had installed the full AC system into the car while doing the swap, including a new "remanufactured" compressor from Driftmotion.

I brought it to Steve, who attempted to charge the system, and found that the compressor was grinding and on its way out. Ugh.

I hopped on Amazon, and got a new Denso AC compressor for a 2JZ, installed it, and brought it back.

This time, success! AC is ice cold and works great. 1JZ-GTE VVTi with AC and cruise? Now this is a sweet car!

As for task 4 and 5, those are next to be done.

Last edited:

GC89

1J-THIS
Jun 13, 2007
Spokane, WA
What are the spring lengths they set you up with on the front and back and do you have any idea what the spring rates are?

I am really wanting to put together a set like this with either the Koni's or Bilsteins.

The Koni's are adjustable which is nice (PITA though as you mentioned) but I have heard they are a little harsher ride than the bilsteins but handle stiffer springs well. My car is street primarily and I really want to keep it as a nice riding touring car so I am planning to go with stiff sways and soft-ish springs and attempt to increase handling a bit while keeping ride comfort as close to stock as possible.

Can you elaborate on how you have noticed the ride has changed?

emiliorescigno

Supramania Contributor
Sep 17, 2006
Woodbury, MN
GC89;2053225 said:
What are the spring lengths they set you up with on the front and back and do you have any idea what the spring rates are?

I am really wanting to put together a set like this with either the Koni's or Bilsteins.

The Koni's are adjustable which is nice (PITA though as you mentioned) but I have heard they are a little harsher ride than the bilsteins but handle stiffer springs well. My car is street primarily and I really want to keep it as a nice riding touring car so I am planning to go with stiff sways and soft-ish springs and attempt to increase handling a bit while keeping ride comfort as close to stock as possible.

Can you elaborate on how you have noticed the ride has changed?

I wouldn't hesitate at all if I were you. There are basically no quality coilover setups for MKIIIs out there anymore, and getting GC more business selling these kits would be absolutely fantastic.

The ride is firmer than stock, for sure, but it doesn't "crash" over bumps like most coilover setups do. I've actually received compliments from non-car people about "how well it rides for a sports car". The Tokico/Eibach combo I had before doesn't hold a candle to these. The ride is roughly the same in quality, and the handling is much more predictable. Having linear vs. progressive rate springs adds a small amount of initial firmness, but the car reacts in a much more predictable manner when cornering.

I rode in my car back to back with an '04 WRX STi (with Eibach springs), and the Supra rides much much much better. These are the best coilovers available when it comes to ride quality imho.

A note on the actual specs, these are from memory, but I'm 90% sure I'm correct:
Fronts: 6" Spring, 2.5" ID, 800 lb/in
Rears: 7" Spring, 2.5" ID, 500 lb/in

I just sent GC an email and asked for a set of coilovers for a Supra and this is what they shipped; I didn't make any special requests or even ask many questions. I left the Konis at whatever they were set to when they were shipped to me. The biggest advantage of these versus a strut/spring combo is the ability to change springs if needed. You can get replacement springs in whatever rate you want if it feels either too soft or too hard.

Hopefully this helps, and let me know if you have any other questions, I'll try my best to help. :)

jugodegolf;2053229 said:
Wonder if the cruise setup will work on the 2jz's

Nice progress and looks like fun at track.

I'm certain that this setup would work. I actually poached an extra 2JZ TB to provide extra parts for this little project. I'll post pics when I get the chance - does your car not have Cruise?

Heck, stop on your way back to AZ, throw some money at Steve, and cruise home. :D

Last edited:

GC89

1J-THIS
Jun 13, 2007
Spokane, WA
Thats what sold me on this setup, unlimited LINEAR spring options that are pretty affordable so they can be played with until perfect. I just keep going back and forth between Konis, or ordering bilsteins valved for the spring rates I provide.

emiliorescigno

Supramania Contributor
Sep 17, 2006
Woodbury, MN
I added some pictures to the previous post of the cruise control setup.

suprafreak123;2053250 said:
What did you do for the wiring?do you have a couple pictures of the engine bay?Good job!!! It's super clean.

I snapped some engine bay pics quick - I used a harness from Tweak'd performance. It's really fantastic quality, and was super easy to install.

b2a38b7be122de917d12b22fa5c0f2f4.jpg

ee46b23c16f3b5840fe3a761a11c0263.jpg

emiliorescigno

Supramania Contributor
Sep 17, 2006
Woodbury, MN
Ken - you really should!

I suppose since I've been bumped, let's do a quick update.

In early August I went to an event at Brainerd International Raceway, called "Powercruise". Here are some pics and a highlight reel :)

f68eec669f461ed9d2551dc73c044f73.jpg

1688ce57878a1068590f63967def5cd3.jpg

102a0e9453253658f2778b0e336e7972.jpg

[video=youtube_share;lEPjwnuBayo]http://youtu.be/lEPjwnuBayo[/video]

Unfortunately, just the other day, the car died on me, thanks to some faulty fuel pump wiring. So right now it's just sitting in the garage, and I'm debating if I want to make the effort to fix it and he couple other minor problems now, or just call the rest of the summer good, and finish everything over the winter.

Last edited: