Emilio's NewRedSupra

emiliorescigno

Supramania Contributor
Sep 17, 2006
Woodbury, MN
Quick Update:
I got a few new odds & ends installed, hatch weatherstripping, hood weatherstripping, and cleaned/shampoo'd the carpet. I was having a slight miss under idle and light acceleration, which I traced back to bad wiring for the IS300 coils. New connectors are ordered and should hopefully arrive soon!

Also, listed the blue Supra for sale, take a look if you want a clean/original car....

http://www.supramania.com/forums/sh...l-clean-and-unmolested.&p=1946329#post1946329

emiliorescigno

Supramania Contributor
Sep 17, 2006
Woodbury, MN
Took the car on a trip to Canada over 4th of July weekend (haha, right?!). Drove the loop around Lake Superior, about 1,600 miles in total. Car worked great, no hiccups. The Canada side of the lake was absolutely beautiful too!

Other progress:
-Installed AEM Analog Gauges (Wideband and Boost).
-Bought/installed a built transmission from Steve (toyotanos). The new transmission feels great to drive, which I'm sure also has something to do with all the missing bolts and various signs of improper workmanship on the old transmission.

Also building up a little "to do" list to get everything on the car nice and solid:
-Find a Voltmeter to replace the stock boost gauge
-Find new steering column plastics since mine are broken
-Clean up CPS wiring
-Fix A/C
-Recover seats (mine are torn)
-Get a nice exhaust, and fix the rear bumper

Hopefully I'll be chipping away at my list quite a bit here!

T3rril79

Dec 10, 2010
Huntsville Alabama
emiliorescigno;1951386 said:
Funny you should mention it! I have a fuelly page that I track my mileage on:

http://www.fuelly.com/driver/emiliorescigno/supra-3

(I averaged 25 on this last trip)

HAHA by the data, your foot was heavier in June!! I kid, I kid. Seriously, those are some impressive mpg numbers. I was shocked to see that 93 octane was $5/gal over there. If that happened here in Alabama, I would die.

emiliorescigno

Supramania Contributor
Sep 17, 2006
Woodbury, MN
T3rril79;1951442 said:
HAHA by the data, your foot was heavier in June!! I kid, I kid. Seriously, those are some impressive mpg numbers. I was shocked to see that 93 octane was $5/gal over there. If that happened here in Alabama, I would die.

City vs. Highway is the biggest difference. There are two roadtrips in my data - in late April Early May and then also this one in July. The trans-Canada highway also has a speed limit of 90 kph, which translates to roughly 55mph. I didn't want to speed, since speeding fines are stiff, ($10k for 50kph over the limit!!!!), and having to make a court appearance in another country is not my idea of a great vacation.

The rest of it is driving around town, to work, etc. I'm more comfortable flogging the car when I'm not too far from home vs. driving out on the Canadian shield too :)

Gas in Canada is expensive compared to the US. I think I did my conversion pretty accurately, but gas there was $1.509 CDN for 1 Liter. There are $0.95 USD in $1 CDN, and there are ~3.8 liters in 1 gallon. Back when the Canadian dollar was stronger than the US Dollar, things were extra painful! Around where I live in MN is very close if not a little below the national average.

Supra28

Supramanian
Aug 17, 2006
Columbus, OH/Kansas
How far you traveled just to get the car and continue to take it on road trips is inspiring. Most build threads are literally "build up" of the car where as yours' driving the car lol. Good Stuff!

emiliorescigno

Supramania Contributor
Sep 17, 2006
Woodbury, MN
Supra28;1951471 said:
How far you traveled just to get the car and continue to take it on road trips is inspiring. Most build threads are literally "build up" of the car where as yours' driving the car lol. Good Stuff!

Thanks! I'm enjoying the car too much right now to worry about these "upgrades", lol. I think bigger changes will be happening in winter when I don't have the urge to drive the car all the time :)

emiliorescigno

Supramania Contributor
Sep 17, 2006
Woodbury, MN
Well, this thread is going to take a little bit of a turn...

Following along the "just drive it" theme, I attended the "Powercruise" at Brainerd International Raceway this weekend. Event Website: http://www.powercruise.com/?country=us&site=brainerd&page=main

I had a ball driving around the track on Day #1, got maybe 10-15 laps in, and since it's the powercruise you don't need helmets and you can have as many passengers as you want. Good idea if you ask me :D

At the end of the day, I went to turn my car on...and knock knock, who's there? Pulling injectors seems to indicated a bad rod bearing on cylinder #6, so I think this thread is going to change from a "drive" to a real "build" thread.

As of now, the car is at my buddy's place in Brainerd, and I'm trying to work out some arrangements to trailer it back here this week. Engine will be coming out shortly for inspection, and then the great debate starts. Rebuild the 7M or swap it for a JZ? I'm not ready to flush ALL my money down the toilet, so step 1 might be an increased effort put on selling spare parts I have around (including my Blue car...) to raise some funds for the build/swap/rebuild/whatever. Stay tuned for some new FS threads!

emiliorescigno

Supramania Contributor
Sep 17, 2006
Woodbury, MN
grsupra87;1952298 said:
Gotta say, I am enjoying your thread, and I really like your car!.

Thanks! I've really liked this car so far. It's rust free, looks good, and has had a nice "solid" feel to it. I've put 7,000 miles on it since May!

T3rril79;1952419 said:
Crap, well good luck.

leecheater;1952679 said:
Emilio, these cars can cause pain. Believe me, been there, and done that on many occasions. Hope it's not too bad.

I'm bummed about the rodknock, but getting down about what happened isn't going to fix the engine. With the consult of Steve, I suspect two possible causes:
1. Too thin of motor oil (5W-30) lead to damage while driving it hard on the track.
2. Previous bearing damage from a (potential) BHG showed up because of hard track driving.

There's no way to know for sure, though option #2 certainly makes me feel like less of a fool. I am without question running thicker oil next time, that's for sure.

Last night I got the car from Brainerd to Steve's place in Coon Rapids. Unplugged injector #6, didn't rev over 2k, and drove VERY carefully. It still isn't all the way home, but we're getting closer. An engine pull and teardown I am going to try to make happen sooner rather than later. Results of the teardown (and if it makes it home to Bloomington) will determine my course of action.

I have three "rebuild" options in my mind:
1. Rebuild the 7M mostly stock, just fix the damage.
2. Rebuild the 7M with stronger internals etc.
3. Do a JZ swap (1J? 2J? VVTi?) the VVTi 1JZ seems really interesting to me, but I'm worried about a lack of information.

I promise pics will happen too once she's back home. :)

KevinM

Knowledge driven
Mar 30, 2005
Seattle, WA
www.cardomain.com
emiliorescigno;1952785 said:
3 the VVTi 1JZ seems really interesting to me, but I'm worried about a lack of information.

Do this one! It may not seem like it, but there's info out there and a number of us have completed it. I'd be willing to send info your way. Pretty good aftermarket support (enough to have a really fun car). Newer (by year) engine. Really great powerband.

PM me if you want some more info!

(-btw pics of 1.5jz in my sig are old, need to update engine bay pic..)

yhatzee89

Joe Yantz
Aug 31, 2012
San Antonio, TX
Agree, reading your build his quite enjoyable. Sucks about the rod knock :/

KevinM;1952912 said:
Do this one! It may not seem like it, but there's info out there and a number of us have completed it. I'd be willing to send info your way. Pretty good aftermarket support (enough to have a really fun car). Newer (by year) engine. Really great powerband.

PM me if you want some more info

Don't just PM it, post that shit up for all of us to drool over!!!
Needs to be a sticky for that kinda stuff anyways

emiliorescigno

Supramania Contributor
Sep 17, 2006
Woodbury, MN
KevinM;1952912 said:

PM me if you want some more info!

(-btw pics of 1.5jz in my sig are old, need to update engine bay pic..)

What can you tell me about this swap? My initial research is pointing me to quite a list of questions:
1. Is there a downpipe I can use? I don't have access to a welder, so it would be $$$ to get one made for me by a shop, though this isn't a killer.
2. Did some of these engines have drive-by-wire throttle? Can it be converted to regular? Does this mess with the stock ECU?
3. Did some of these ECUs have ignition immobilizers? How can that be bypassed?
4. Is there a way to bypass the 112mph speed limiters on stock ECUs?
5. What intercooler kits are out there? Can I use the same ones that non-VVTi 1JZs use?
6. Is it well documented on how to make sure all my "luxuries" work? I'm a pretty major stickler and I want everything in my car to work, including A/C, Cruise, Power Steering, etc.

The idea of doing a BPU 1JZ VVTi would be awesome. Maybe a bolt-on turbo upgrade and/or cams, but nothing crazy. If I got a dyno sheet for 400hp or over, I would have no problem calling my engine "done".

KevinM

Knowledge driven
Mar 30, 2005
Seattle, WA
www.cardomain.com
emiliorescigno;1953048 said:
What can you tell me about this swap? My initial research is pointing me to quite a list of questions:
1. Is there a downpipe I can use? I don't have access to a welder, so it would be $$$ to get one made for me by a shop, though this isn't a killer.
2. Did some of these engines have drive-by-wire throttle? Can it be converted to regular? Does this mess with the stock ECU?
3. Did some of these ECUs have ignition immobilizers? How can that be bypassed?
4. Is there a way to bypass the 112mph speed limiters on stock ECUs?
5. What intercooler kits are out there? Can I use the same ones that non-VVTi 1JZs use?
6. Is it well documented on how to make sure all my "luxuries" work? I'm a pretty major stickler and I want everything in my car to work, including A/C, Cruise, Power Steering, etc.

The idea of doing a BPU 1JZ VVTi would be awesome. Maybe a bolt-on turbo upgrade and/or cams, but nothing crazy. If I got a dyno sheet for 400hp or over, I would have no problem calling my engine "done".

I'll put some info together and should be able to answer most of your questions. It'll just take me a few days or whatnot to get it written down.

-That's prob a good point though that more of the info should be documented for the community to see. I'll see what I can put together.