Emilio's NewRedSupra

emiliorescigno

Supramania Contributor
Sep 17, 2006
Woodbury, MN
Maybe it’s time I made a build/progress thread for my new(est) Supra that’s come into my possession. I’ve been into Supras for quite some time, but I don’t think I’m particularly well known around the forums.

A little background about myself to start: I bought my first Supra in April of 2006 (in Highschool). It was a 1990 Hardtop (originally NA/Auto) that had been swapped by a previous owner with the majority of the running components from an 88 Turbo/5-Speed donor car. The car got pretty rusty, and was something of a mechanical mess. I learned pretty much everything I know now on that car. I ended up selling the car (in better condition than I got it in, though that’s not saying much) in November of 2011.

I also purchased a 1988 Turbo/Hardtop/Auto in July of 2010. The car had quite a few problems and some neglect from previous owners, but was generally much nicer. Being a Texas car, it had almost no rust, a rarity here in Minnesota. I’ve been doing lots of maintenance (and putting lots of miles) on the car, including a roadtrip to AZ and back. It still treats me well to this day. (Those gold wheels came with the Red car)

My old “build” thread pretty well details my goings-on with both cars, it’s just grown quite long and uninteresting, so it’s time to start fresh!

Old Build Thread: http://www.supramania.com/forums/showthread.php?36586-Emilio-s-Rebuild-amp-Improvement-Build-Thread

Speaking of starting fresh, this thread is about my most recent purchase, my 4th Supra. (The third one was a parts car of sorts, had it only for a few months, nothing special.)

It’s a 1991 Turbo/Targa/5-Speed, purchased with approximately 110k on it, in San Diego California. In January, put down a deposit on the car (having not even seen it!) flew out to California, got picked up by the owner at the airport in the Supra, and bought it on the spot. It was a gutsy move, but when you see “the” car, you better jump on it!

I then drove the car that night and the following day from San Diego to San Francisco, to my dad’s house (a place he was renting while temporarily employed). It was a great chance to drive on the pacific coast highway, a real treat for a Minnesotan in the middle of January!

Fast forward 4 months, and it’s finally time to collect the car from California. I flew out, and started the journey across the country back to MN (with a stop to visit friends in Colorado)

The trip went quite well, with only a few small incidents. Around the Nevada/Utah border, the car’s temperature “spiked” quickly, and I jumped off the interstate. Coolant was being pushed out of the coolant reservoir, making me start to worry about a BHG. I drove the car gingerly to Utah, where a hotel was booked for the night. The next morning, I stopped by an AutoZone in Utah, got a jug of coolant and a new radiator cap. Then I was off for Boulder CO

On the trip from Utah to Colorado, I got the best gas mileage I’ve EVER gotten in a Supra. 28.5 MPG! I was driving at a steady 65-70mph (as gently as possible, still fearing a possible BHG), with a 55mph tailwind. Once in Colorado, I got to look over the car a little closer. The car had stopped pushing coolant out of the reservoir, and was seeming solid. Coolant was very nasty though.

I left on the final leg of my trip in the morning after spending a day snowed in (On May 1st!) in Colorado. I left early in the morning and was planning on arriving at home in Minnesota at around 1AM.

Fast forward 17 hours, to Northfield, MN (about 25 miles from my home), and the car splutters to a halt on the side of the interstate. After 2,600 miles of trouble-free road tripping, the car was stalled on the side of the road. I took off the front lip in preparation for the tow truck, and in 3 hours and $175 later, I was home with my car….not starting.

I'll be updating this thread more with the car's progress!

Last edited:

emiliorescigno

Supramania Contributor
Sep 17, 2006
Woodbury, MN
The cause of my breakdown was a poorly installed turbo timer - a loose ground wire finally dropped off causing the car to turn off. Off with you turbo timer!

Once the car was home and work, fixing and maintenance began! I swapped the wheels between the two cars, and made a healthy OEM Toyota parts order.

Small list of things fixed and parts installed:
Taillight Seals
New Floor Mats
New TEMS switch
Accordion Hose
Battery Tie Down
IS300 Coils
AEM Wideband
AEM Tru-Boost
OEM Keys
Radiator Pipe
Coolant Flush
Oil Change
Pioneer GPS/Stereo
TurboSmart Bypass Valve
SupraSport/Lipp Turbo Elbow
Random Technology Downpipe
3" Test Pipe

I'll try to get pics of what was done soon!

Parked with Steve (Toyotanos) at Jake/SupraSport/scubajtw's house:

Also, a picture of the parking lot at work, good taste in color!

Last edited:

emiliorescigno

Supramania Contributor
Sep 17, 2006
Woodbury, MN
RPSil13;1944608 said:
whats the size/offset on those 5zigens?

They're 17x8 +29mm Front, 17x9 +35mm Rear

PERFECT fit if you ask me. The fronts don't poke and also aren't sunken in.

edit: also haven't rubbed at all yet

Last edited:

Beals

JZA70 TT-R
Feb 3, 2009
Alberta, Canada
nice, looks like you got a good start. How was auto-x good learning experience? planning to upgrade the suspension more now? I'm looking at doing this next year when the new track is built.

emiliorescigno

Supramania Contributor
Sep 17, 2006
Woodbury, MN
Beals;1944660 said:
nice, looks like you got a good start. How was auto-x good learning experience? planning to upgrade the suspension more now? I'm looking at doing this next year when the new track is built.

Auto-X was a blast, I learned a lot about car control, and would love to do it again. The car already has Eibach Springs, Tokico Illumina II struts, and Suspension Techniques Sway Bars. I don't have any plans to do too many more suspension mods. I don't want to make the car ride much worse, and Supra's aren't competitive at Auto-X by any measure. (I'd be stuck in ESP class, which is a bunch of 500hp HardCorvettes and the like, no chance with my fatcar)

I'm thinking I may participate in more events until I podium in the Novice class, in which case they kick you out and you have to drive in your "actual" class...

Last edited:

Beals

JZA70 TT-R
Feb 3, 2009
Alberta, Canada
really? you can't get into a lower class with a weight-->power ratio? I seen some supras doing good but they had modified knuckles and new steering racks. Idk if I would want to put a mustang steering rack into my car ever but I would try the modified knuckles if someone started producing them. I figured with sway bars and my Tein SS's I shouldn't do too bad but the balance of the car is definately not compareable to that of a FD or 240 which seems to fairly common.

emiliorescigno

Supramania Contributor
Sep 17, 2006
Woodbury, MN
Beals;1944701 said:
really? you can't get into a lower class with a weight-->power ratio? I seen some supras doing good but they had modified knuckles and new steering racks. Idk if I would want to put a mustang steering rack into my car ever but I would try the modified knuckles if someone started producing them. I figured with sway bars and my Tein SS's I shouldn't do too bad but the balance of the car is definitely not comparable to that of a FD or 240 which seems to fairly common.

I think the biggest problem with classing is the exhaust. Removing your stock cat(s) moves you way up in classes. Regardless, I don't plan on going too crazy with it. If I want to get super serious about Auto-X, I might pick up an AW11 in a couple years and play with that. For now the car's weakest component is the driver, so I plan on upgrading that first.

bcg04

The Don
Mar 31, 2005
Med-City, USA (Rochester, MN)
Good to see you're still in the game Emilio, nice ride you picked up there!

So what turned out to be the issue with the overheating? Maybe it was just a poorly burped cooling system or a bad radiator cap? You said the coolant looked weird, I was thinking bad thoughts....

Oh and I still have some parts/mods from my old '91 I should shoot you a PM with what I got left.

emiliorescigno

Supramania Contributor
Sep 17, 2006
Woodbury, MN
bcg04;1944887 said:
Good to see you're still in the game Emilio, nice ride you picked up there!

So what turned out to be the issue with the overheating? Maybe it was just a poorly burped cooling system or a bad radiator cap? You said the coolant looked weird, I was thinking bad thoughts....

Oh and I still have some parts/mods from my old '91 I should shoot you a PM with what I got left.

I'm 95% sure the radiator cap was to blame. I stopped losing coolant after about Colorado, and temps haven't spiked again. Once home in MN, I got a *real* Toyota Radiator cap, and drained out all the nasty green coolant. I ran it for about a week with just water, then did a radiator flush with a bottle of the "radiator flush" stuff you get at the parts store. All the water I drained out was very brown and sediment-y, but not the "sludgy" oil-mixed variety.

The car now has Toyota Red coolant in it, and things have seemed rock solid. It did handle a full day of auto-x without missing a beat, so it can't be that bad.

You should def. send me a list of what you have left! I might be interested in bits and pieces. Do you have a MKIV again? Or are you done with Supras by now?

bcg04

The Don
Mar 31, 2005
Med-City, USA (Rochester, MN)
emiliorescigno;1944894 said:
I'm 95% sure the radiator cap was to blame. I stopped losing coolant after about Colorado, and temps haven't spiked again. Once home in MN, I got a *real* Toyota Radiator cap, and drained out all the nasty green coolant. I ran it for about a week with just water, then did a radiator flush with a bottle of the "radiator flush" stuff you get at the parts store. All the water I drained out was very brown and sediment-y, but not the "sludgy" oil-mixed variety.

The car now has Toyota Red coolant in it, and things have seemed rock solid. It did handle a full day of auto-x without missing a beat, so it can't be that bad.

You should def. send me a list of what you have left! I might be interested in bits and pieces. Do you have a MKIV again? Or are you done with Supras by now?

Good deal, amazing what a good (or bad) rad cap can do. I'll try to PM you sure. Yeah I've had a MKIV for a few years now after selling all the MK3's, but been shopping lately another MK3 roller for a SBC swap project I want to do :)

emiliorescigno

Supramania Contributor
Sep 17, 2006
Woodbury, MN
A little update - I installed a new TTR lip, through the grapevine from Rob (92nsx)'s old car. It looks pretty spiffy if you ask me, though I haven't gotten to installing the brake ducts on it yet.

After racing off with all this progress after getting the car, I really need to take a minute let my bank account recover a little, get the Blue car ready for (a possible) sale, sell some extra parts I have around, and start gathering new parts for the next round of changes...