ED & CC: Carbon Fiber Parts

Status
Not open for further replies.

SilverSupraT

7M '78 Toyota Pickup
Oct 3, 2005
Eastern WA
www.geocities.com
Thanks for the actual facts on that Duane. Might actually make me consider buying a CF hood (or making one myself because no one will make the style that I desire lol).

I was going to mention a CF targa also. Seems like the only practical thing really as long as it could maintain structure. I don't have a targa, but if it was lighter I might actually take it off from time to time (had a targa for 2 years and removed the top once).

Cosmetic things will sell, period. The performance oriented people should just leave this thread IMO, it's not going to go your way, I can almost guarantee it.

*leaves thread*

Facime

Leather work expert
Jun 1, 2006
Corvallis OR
figgie;1083606 said:
Speculation as to weight, does not fly here. You and the rest want to speculate on which weighs less and have a circle jerk while guessing... go to the other supra forums.

Here. If I don't call you on it, someone else will. Just that I cut the crap while I call you on it.

Speculation on what something weighs was never asked by the OP but YOU insist on derailing the thread just because you seem to have an axe to grind. I was never part of the "rest" even discussing it and you seem to have missed the point STILL.

The OP asked for suggestions on what people would like to see done in CF because he has a supplier looking for input. Your last comment was the only one on topic. If YOU want to "roll that way" why dont you make your own thread discussing the merits of CF or not to CF.

If you wish to discuss it further Im happy to discuss it in PM. All Im trying to do is help keep this on topic.

dirtbike44

Apr 4, 2008
calgary
I would be very interested in CF hood, targa, doors, and maybe 3 piece wing. But i wouldn't be able to get the money until later this year. I need as much as possible to make this car lighter while still keeping it a good cruising car. Haha but yeah once i have the money id buy them for sure.

RazoE

Boobs/Boost, my favorite
Jun 13, 2006
Los Angeles
www.cafepress.com
Why do I keep reading about the targa being heavy?

I'm all of 115 lbs, and I remove/put on my top for drives as short as 2 minutes...

Even my girlfriend removes and puts her targa back on daily...

A CF targa is defintiely nice, but if you tighten it too much, the top may crack, too loose and if you take a driveway at an angle or something similar, it'll probably rip the bolts out...

I'd love one but I would probably have to silicone it on, and get a cage, no thank you...

dirtbike44

Apr 4, 2008
calgary
Oh yeah i never really thought about how much the targa does structurally. If it was proven to be able to handle it id get it. But the hood and doors i will be getting at some point if not from them.

Guyana00

Droppin that JZ in soon!
Apr 18, 2007
Brampton, ON
Doors are a good idea.

Slightly off-topic, but since they were mentioned, scuff plates made in aluminum would be nice.

Possibly the hood, but I don't like hood pins.

Dec 3, 2003
Canada
Guyana00;1083965 said:
Doors are a good idea.

Slightly off-topic, but since they were mentioned, scuff plates made in aluminum would be nice.

Possibly the hood, but I don't like hood pins.

Hood pins are not needed if the hood is made right. When I made hoods, I had this latch custom made for the Supra and had an aluminum insert placed in the underside skin that this would attach to.

p1083996_1.jpg

Duane

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
speed;1084009 said:
No kidding! I cannot seem to find a good set of them, and that would jsut be neat. Ones that don't crack everytime you install them would be nice

It would be a nice entry level part so we could gauge the quality of work and service before dropping the coin on bigger more expensive parts.

Be damned if I'm even sending a large deposit to an unknown with no history here on SM.

webbs7mgte

Jun 2, 2008
wisconsin
hey idk if anyone suggested it but what about cf fender flares maybe some moldings and like the moldings behind the fenders behind the wheel wells like a white and cf car

Orion ZyGarian

Jeff Lange wannabe
Apr 2, 2005
Sarasota, FLorida
www.suprastore.com
RazoE;1083905 said:
Why do I keep reading about the targa being heavy?

I'm all of 115 lbs, and I remove/put on my top for drives as short as 2 minutes...

Even my girlfriend removes and puts her targa back on daily...

A CF targa is defintiely nice, but if you tighten it too much, the top may crack, too loose and if you take a driveway at an angle or something similar, it'll probably rip the bolts out...

I'd love one but I would probably have to silicone it on, and get a cage, no thank you...

115 lbs? I call shenanigans. I dont know anyone lighter than my 126 lbs.

Anyways I'm a weak fellow too, but I have taken off my hood by myself twice and put my Miata's top up with one hand at 60 mph multiple times so...I dont really want anyone complaining about that sort of thing

whudafux

Formerly dcrusupra
Jan 5, 2006
Cullowhee, NC
www.myspace.com
Definitely door sills. I was trying to figure out what the hell I was going to do with those, because those are gray and the rest of my interior is black now and since it's a high contact spot, I couldn't paint it without the paint coming off in a few places every week.

I would be 100% in for an OEM hood that doesn't require hood pins, headlight covers, and the door sills.

Guyana00

Droppin that JZ in soon!
Apr 18, 2007
Brampton, ON
I know the doors are available, I just think they could be produced for a cheaper base price, and cheaper shipping price because of where they are being produced (and shipped from).

Status
Not open for further replies.