confusing overheating issue!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

mkIIIman089

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Ohio
Absolutely, you massively overheated it over, and over again. I'd bet you damaged more than you can even imagine.

syty1

Jan 26, 2009
los gatos, ca
When u use a MHG w/o a mirror-finish (no, u can't do this at home), they always leak - slowly at 1st. It's been leaking for 3999 mi...that's why the 'waterfall' sound from the heater, and the slow loss of coolant w/o any visible leak.
Definitely research here under BHG & MHG & you'll learn a LOT about how to do it right - & not have to do it again.
Just be meticulous, measure everything - bearing clearance, ring end-gap, etc & might as well do the valve-seals since you have to at a minimum pull the cams to have the head machined. You can do all this, and there's a TON of knowledge on SM to help you.
HTH
David

jdmfreak

PACNW
Oct 8, 2010
north clark co. WA.
Well thanks for saving me from another headache:) looks like I am gonna have to buy a clutch for my dd cause the supra will be down a while longer :/ oh well gotta do it right ..... hey do you guys know of any good supra machine shops in vancouver or portland???

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

jdmfreak

PACNW
Oct 8, 2010
north clark co. WA.
ok ..... i might be dragging this out wayyy too far but here is my new thoughts

my buddy didnt think i did the bhg test right the last time ... he said that if you put the test tube on the radiator and pump the bulb for 2 min before the fluid even starts to turn yellow. then its steam or fluid getting sucked up into the tester and if my hg was blown the fluid would turn yellow within 5-20 pumps................said i must have a leak and my electric fans were not efficient

so i started searching hard for any leaks and found that my new water pump (came off a friends supra) has a slight leak out the bottom weep hole that i never caught before.

i replaced my water pump again and ordered the set of flexalite fans that are supposed to fit perfectly on our cars

......am i just dragging replacing my hg out or is there any chance that it is still good .... what do you guys think????

also at idle i am only at 11-12v do i need a new alternator to run those new fans?????

Van

87t Hardtop
Mar 26, 2006
Oak Grove, OR 97267
jdmfreak;1729450 said:
Well thanks for saving me from another headache:) looks like I am gonna have to buy a clutch for my dd cause the supra will be down a while longer :/ oh well gotta do it right ..... hey do you guys know of any good supra machine shops in vancouver or portland???

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
If you take it in to M&B Cylinder Heads, on Vancouver Way in North Portland, just off the I-5 freeway, you can use my torque plate, for no charge, (I usually charge $200 security deposit), and have Brian at M&B torque plate your block and bore six perfect cylinders. They build wicked Supra motors. Give Brian a call: 503-286-1725. Check out their web page: M&B Cylinder Heads
Van

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
syty1;1728288 said:
Nobody has mentioned mirror-finish on the block and head for a MHG. If it's not mirror finish....it Will leak - garoonnnteeed

And flat. Flat first, because it applies to all head gaskets, composite or metal. If it isn't flat, it will fail in time. I am not sure how the metal one would do. It can leak and not fail I suppose.

jdmfreak

PACNW
Oct 8, 2010
north clark co. WA.
aeffbc98-4162-46a3.jpg

Found out y she had been smoking.........this is cylinder 1

Sent from my C771

nrdriver

Mar 2, 2012
salem oregon
just puttin in my two cents. in my experience. no heater and overheating because of a blockage is caused be a clogged heater core. the core doesnt get hot so you have no hot air for the heater. with the heater core being blocked your coolant isnt circulating.
only been a mechanic for ten years lol

mkiiichip

Sep 10, 2007
WI
^Then why is there a valve, to shut off coolant flow to the heater core, when its not needed? Just sayin.....

onemancrew

Feb 7, 2012
Sydney
mkiiichip;1813714 said:
^Then why is there a valve, to shut off coolant flow to the heater core, when its not needed? Just sayin.....

I have always wondered this down to the point of turning my heater on 5 mins before I turn it off, just to circulate the coolant and get any extra heat out of #6 cylinder.

jdmfreak

PACNW
Oct 8, 2010
north clark co. WA.
nrdriver;1813685 said:
just puttin in my two cents. in my experience. no heater and overheating because of a blockage is caused be a clogged heater core. the core doesnt get hot so you have no hot air for the heater. with the heater core being blocked your coolant isnt circulating.
only been a mechanic for ten years lol

Except it wasn't consistent .... the heater worked great (burn your face off Toyota heater heat) then nothing one day .... then heat randomly again .... it acted like a bubble

Sent from my C771

Status
Not open for further replies.