confusing overheating issue!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

jdmfreak

PACNW
Oct 8, 2010
north clark co. WA.
ok here is my issue it started a while back and has slowly gotten worse......

:1zhelp:after i drive for about 10 min (i can idle forever without overheating) all my coolent starts dumping out of my overflow then after i lose enough it starts overheating a little at stops and if i keep driving it happens then too and gets worse and hotter as i lose more water. Then if i idle after it starts overheating it gets hotter :1zhelp:

first of all there is NO trace of water in my oil or oil in my water:aigo:!!!!

i switched to an electric fan on a toggle switch due to my fan shroud exploding when it hit my fan about 3 months before it started overheating
and everything was fine

i recently upgraded turbo, ic pipeing and went to speed density maft pro

i have replaced water pump, radiator, thermostat( i tested the new one before it went in) and tried 3 different caps (one off buddys 4-runner known to work)

what else is there to check:cry:??

is it possible that my new turbo is heating my oil up more than my old one and now my electric fan cant keep up???

EDIT: i am using stock water temp gauge but its dumping out overflow:/

also when my temp gauge is rising my heater stops blowing hot air but sometimes if i give it throttle my temp gauge drops and heater starts working

i flushed the system hooked heater valve up to constent vacuum and burped the system

Edit#2 it has about 3500miles on the rebuild mhg torqued to 102 ftlbs

Last edited:

gottadiesel

Flyin Low
Feb 16, 2009
Vancouver, Washington
Did you already tell me that you connected 2nd fan (stock A/C) up to switch, but made no difference?

Also I assume you had not overheating the whole way home on Friday - right? So it is only stop n go and idle?

For others reading - keep in mind it is still only in the 40s or 50s, so still pretty cool out, I am not thinking it is a simple issue of cfm, but then again I have not done an E-Fan setup for a 7M before...

jdmfreak

PACNW
Oct 8, 2010
north clark co. WA.
yes i have connected both stock electric fans up to my switch

and no i had to pull over in kelso and let it cool down because it started getting hot while crusing but it made it all the way up there with no problems... :/

for others reading its an hour and a half drive to go up to gottadiesel's place

Van

87t Hardtop
Mar 26, 2006
Oak Grove, OR 97267
jdmfreak;1697740 said:
ok here is my issue it started a while back and has slowly gotten worse......

:1zhelp:after i drive for about 10 min (i can idle forever without overheating) all my coolent starts dumping out of my overflow then after i lose enough it starts overheating a little at stops and if i keep driving it happens then too and gets worse and hotter as i lose more water. Then if i idle after it starts overheating it gets hotter :1zhelp:

first of all there is NO trace of water in my oil or oil in my water:aigo:!!!!

i switched to an electric fan on a toggle switch due to my fan shroud exploding when it hit my fan about 3 months before it started overheating
and everything was fine

i recently upgraded turbo, ic pipeing and went to speed density maft pro

i have replaced water pump, radiator, thermostat( i tested the new one before it went in) and tried 3 different caps (one off buddys 4-runner known to work)

what else is there to check:cry:??

is it possible that my new turbo is heating my oil up more than my old one and now my electric fan cant keep up???

EDIT: i am using stock water temp gauge but its dumping out overflow:/

also when my temp gauge is rising my heater stops blowing hot air but sometimes if i give it throttle my temp gauge drops and heater starts working

i flushed the system hooked heater valve up to constent vacuum and burped the system

Edit#2 it has about 3500miles on the rebuild mhg torqued to 102 ftlbs
I would test your coolant for hydrocarbons... to rule-out another BHG! Van

---------- Post added at 11:55 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:51 AM ----------

gottadiesel;1697746 said:
Did you already tell me that you connected 2nd fan (stock A/C) up to switch, but made no difference?

Also I assume you had not overheating the whole way home on Friday - right? So it is only stop n go and idle?

For others reading - keep in mind it is still only in the 40s or 50s, so still pretty cool out, I am not thinking it is a simple issue of cfm, but then again I have not done an E-Fan setup for a 7M before...

I have had two electric fans on the 7M one 1800 CFM and it was not capable until I had a aluminum shroud fabbed up for the Koyo Alum Rad.
Now my race radiator, has a 3000CFM fan and shroud, and I never see it running for more than a few minutes during the summer months, in town.
My point is get an E-fan and shroud that will pull all the air you can get through the rad. Van

Zirgo has some E-fans at a good value that run up to 3000CFM.

jdmfreak

PACNW
Oct 8, 2010
north clark co. WA.
my engine stayed plenty cool until i did all my upgrades
would they cause enough extra heat to make that much difference???

---------- Post added at 12:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:27 PM ----------

Van;1697753 said:
I would test your coolant for hydrocarbons... to rule-out another BHG! Van

SHHHHHHHHHH!!!!! she might hear you

jdmfreak

PACNW
Oct 8, 2010
north clark co. WA.
ok thought i may not have bled the system proporly after replacing radiator last night so i flushed the system and bled it good...also i had forgot to plug in the stock electric fan i added back in last night(the one between the radiator and inter cooler)

took it for a test drive and it seems to be ok resovore only filled up to full line and no over heating :eek3dance fingers crossed

....but now my heater only blows cold air...something i can deal with as long as i never overheat..... could i have something in there thats moving through the system???? gremlins maybe lol... any way back out to test drive some more

oh and with all 3 fans running my alternator is having a rough time trying to keep up......

mkiiichip

Sep 10, 2007
WI
You may be on to something with your last statement.
I would go back to a stock setup with a new clutch and fan shroud. Any clue why the old ones ate themselves up? Bad motor mount?

max-89supra(t)

Dec 12, 2008
vancouver, wa
I forgot to tell you yesterday that you should probably do a hydrocarbon test just to be sure. If I were you I would just buy a shroud and put on a good stock fan and clutch, just my .02. A fan shroud allows the fan to suck air through the WHOLE radiator, the way your e fan is set up it only cover about half of the surface area on the radiator, and I doubt it pulls as much as the stock fan.

jdmfreak

PACNW
Oct 8, 2010
north clark co. WA.
mkiiichip;1697809 said:
You may be on to something with your last statement.
I would go back to a stock setup with a new clutch and fan shroud. Any clue why the old ones ate themselves up? Bad motor mount?

Zip tie holding fanshroud on broke sending shroud into fan:)

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

gottadiesel

Flyin Low
Feb 16, 2009
Vancouver, Washington
I am not disagreeing with several statements made on here in regards to shrouds, under-trays etc... as I think it is best to have all of them...

All I would say, is that I do not think that in itself would cause the drastic over-heating that I witnessed while sitting in this car... mine running the same day, is using a stock fan/clutch, but I have no shroud and no under-tray, have run in 95 degree weather and on a dyno at 80 degrees and have never come over 200-210 degrees...

So again I am in NO WAY suggesting it is a good idea to run without either one of them and I have been watching for both of them for a reasonable cost...

But what I saw sitting in this car was one minute sitting in the normal range (stock gauge 1/8" under middle) then go almost all the way to RED in less than a minute or two... My first thoughts were air in the system, but as he posted said he followed process to burp system...

I would at this point do one of 3 things - not necessarily in this order... put stock fan/clutch back in perhaps and see if that helps, along with double or triple checking for air in the system and/or the horrible BHG possibility... I was whispering when I typed :)

If it were mine those would be my next steps anyway...

D.J.T.

Aug 25, 2010
Arkansas, United States
I have the similar problem. The coolant leaks through the overflow. If i drive it hard it gets EXTREMELY Hot inside the car, but the gauge never goes above 2-3 notches above the C. When Engines start overheating the radiator hoses tend to get puffy so i checked for that & they were fine. Its just the heat that gets inside the car & the A/C fan never kicks on while the car is running. If i shut down the car & a couple mins later i turn the key to the ON position it kicks on & since two blades are broken the car vibrates. lol

jdmfreak

PACNW
Oct 8, 2010
north clark co. WA.
Well its getting more infrequent as I have been fixing stuff gonna take it to the shop where my buddy works tomorrow and throw a pressure tester on the radiator and bleed it with one of those funnel things:)

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
You have another thread about getting the MAFT Pro tuned, that could be your entire issue...

Outside of that, coolant leak.

jdmfreak

PACNW
Oct 8, 2010
north clark co. WA.
Thanks I am now running a metal top radiator out of an automatic... no cold spots and itdefinately helped but didn't fix it entirely

D.J.T.

Aug 25, 2010
Arkansas, United States
jdmfreak;1698093 said:
Thanks I am now running a metal top radiator out of an automatic... no cold spots and itdefinately helped but didn't fix it entirely

Have you changed the fan clutch?

EDIT! Totally forgot you were running E fans. lol, only thing i can imagine is that the E Fan sensor failing & that is causing the E-Fan or Fans to not kick on when they are needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.