confusing overheating issue!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

jdmfreak

PACNW
Oct 8, 2010
north clark co. WA.
So I pulled my clutch fan off the shelf and look what I found:/ will this matter much?? Should I run it??

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1302536836929.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1302536836929.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 80

gottadiesel

Flyin Low
Feb 16, 2009
Vancouver, Washington
Poodles;1698036 said:
You have another thread about getting the MAFT Pro tuned, that could be your entire issue...

Outside of that, coolant leak.

Hey poodles, as you saw, I have been assisting Shawn with the MaftPro - not being a great mind reader :icon_bigg I am missing your thoughts on what you think the entire issue could be... I will be the first to admit that I am not an expert, did you see something in that thread that I missed that concerns you?

I respect your opinion (most of the time :naughty:) so would love to hear any insight that you may have also...

jdmfreak

PACNW
Oct 8, 2010
north clark co. WA.
OK here is the conclusion.......so far.........

just because you maxed out stock temp gauge
and your car looked like this ::bhg::
doesnt always mean BHG :)

MHG FTW!!!!!

so we hooked it up to a pressure gauge and at 170 deg it was at 13 psi
at 185 it was at 15 psi at 195 deg it was at 17 psi

my stock radiator cap is 13psi... i was blowing water out the overflow before my thermostat opened

turned on electric fans pressure dropped to 10 psi and temp came to rest around 150 deg at idle

i got a 20 psi cap didnt overheat all the way home driving pretty hard and letting it idle a couple times :)

fingers crossed it wont overheat again :D

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
gottadiesel;1698166 said:
Hey poodles, as you saw, I have been assisting Shawn with the MaftPro - not being a great mind reader :icon_bigg I am missing your thoughts on what you think the entire issue could be... I will be the first to admit that I am not an expert, did you see something in that thread that I missed that concerns you?

I respect your opinion (most of the time :naughty:) so would love to hear any insight that you may have also...

Namely timing (even without timing control used, piggybacks mess with timing curves anything they're tuned)

jdmfreak;1698235 said:
OK here is the conclusion.......so far.........

just because you maxed out stock temp gauge
and your car looked like this ::bhg::
doesnt always mean BHG :)

MHG FTW!!!!!

so we hooked it up to a pressure gauge and at 170 deg it was at 13 psi
at 185 it was at 15 psi at 195 deg it was at 17 psi

my stock radiator cap is 13psi... i was blowing water out the overflow before my thermostat opened

turned on electric fans pressure dropped to 10 psi and temp came to rest around 150 deg at idle

i got a 20 psi cap didnt overheat all the way home driving pretty hard and letting it idle a couple times :)

fingers crossed it wont overheat again :D

Honestly, you have other issues if you're getting that much pressure. The higher pressure cap is a band aid at this point...

jdmfreak

PACNW
Oct 8, 2010
north clark co. WA.
Poodles;1698284 said:
Namely timing (even without timing control used, piggybacks mess with timing curves anything they're tuned)

Honestly, you have other issues if you're getting that much pressure. The higher pressure cap is a band aid at this point...

so are suggesting that timing may be causing higher pressures?? should i hook up the timing monitor so i can keep an eye on it???

---------- Post added at 03:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:35 PM ----------

even before we hooked it up to the pressure tester a guy at the shop said he thought that the cap pressure was too low and it was the problem because with big turbos he commonly sees pressure at 190 deg at 14-20 psi........was he speaking generally and our cars always run lower pressures???

so is the apexi 1.3 from driftmotion a bad thing to put on since it hides other issues???

just wondering because i was gonna order one

gottadiesel

Flyin Low
Feb 16, 2009
Vancouver, Washington
Poodles;1698284 said:

Poodles - Yeah I gotcha there, I did suggest that he get the timing monitor connected so that I could watch it in the log... Mine is connected for that reason...

jdmfreak - I would have to agree with Poodles on that one... I am running a stock cap (IIRC 13psi) I am at 17psi of boost and never see it get remotely over temp...

My usefulness is wearing out, so hopefully others will continue to chime in with their guidance...

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
jdmfreak;1698297 said:
so are suggesting that timing may be causing higher pressures?? should i hook up the timing monitor so i can keep an eye on it???

---------- Post added at 03:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:35 PM ----------

even before we hooked it up to the pressure tester a guy at the shop said he thought that the cap pressure was too low and it was the problem because with big turbos he commonly sees pressure at 190 deg at 14-20 psi........was he speaking generally and our cars always run lower pressures???

so is the apexi 1.3 from driftmotion a bad thing to put on since it hides other issues???

just wondering because i was gonna order one

The ONLY way a larger turbo is going to increase pressures in the cooling system is if it's lifting the head (i.e. BHG). Excessive pressure in the cooling system is classic signs of a leak. It's either BHG which pushes combustion gasses into the cooling system, or it's a pinhole leak that causes the cooling system to lose pressure, causing localized boiling and rapid expansion and overheating.

jdmfreak

PACNW
Oct 8, 2010
north clark co. WA.
see now that makes sense ..thanks for the clarification.... i pulled up and told him(my friends boss) that i thought i had a small leak somewhere and asked if he could test for hydrocarbons to rule out bhg and he told me he could test for it and if he thought that that might be BHG he would

we bled the system then he watched the coolent for a while with the engine running cap off told me that he didnt think it was hg related, thought i had a plugged radiator..... checked it with a laser thermometer no cold spots, and at idling top hose stayed about 50 deg warmer than the lower

i will take my water pump off again tomorrow and double check the seal is good, its got rtv on there now, there is some coolent around it (i know most of it came from the overflow through my fan and all over everything but its hard to tell if anything else is leaking there)

is there a cheap way to test for hydrocarbon???

---------- Post added at 07:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:30 PM ----------

the other odd thing is that with one of those bleeder funnel things on it got up to operating temp but my heater never got warm water level kept going up and down heater hoses in the back of the engine bay were warm def not hot and i have the heater valve to straight vac.... pulled off the line and blew through it. it was definately open. turned off electric fans started boiling in the funnel out the radiator turned fans back on stopped boiling cooled right back down

jdmfreak

PACNW
Oct 8, 2010
north clark co. WA.
ok let me think out loud here........

heater works randomly

bubble????

Overheating after losing too much water

why does it lose water???

overpressureising

thermostat opens at 180 deg

fans on at idle 150 deg 10 psi

bubble????

i bled it

i must be leaking
i dont have enough money to have a hydrocarbon test done right now but is there a cheap way to test for that myself or do i need to take it to a shop???

Status
Not open for further replies.