confusing overheating issue!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

jdmfreak

PACNW
Oct 8, 2010
north clark co. WA.
Yeah I did the test quite a few times too just to be sure ... but now I am really confuzed

What's going on? ???

If it had been positive then at least I would have found my issue

wiseco7mgt

dirty mechanic
Aug 12, 2007
queensland
Okay i'll have a go. Take the guts out of a old thermostat and just leave the outer to control the water flow, if it idles all day long and won't get hot that often means it's not opening properly.
Check the fan rotation and make sure its pulling not pushing, otherwise it will show the same symptoms your experiencing now.
A basic test of the radiator you could do is remove both upper and lower hoses and put a garden hose in the top pipe and turn the hose on full blast, if the water backs up you have a problem there with sediment in the core.
After all this it may be a simple air bubble that's being a real bitch as your heater should be working, you have checked your heater controls are opening and closing right?

jdmfreak

PACNW
Oct 8, 2010
north clark co. WA.
Fan rotation is good and heater valve is open and randomly it does work but only for about a minut or so ... I am still kinda thinking air bubble but I even took it to a shop to have them bleed it and no go...any way I will try those other things tomorrow thanks

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

jdmfreak

PACNW
Oct 8, 2010
north clark co. WA.
Ok so I cu the center out of thermostat and I flushed the radiator with a hose everything seemed fine ... still overheating then on my way home from work I started smokingso I pulledover and guess what my valve cover screws on the exhaust side were like finger tight and I was leaking oil all over my exhaust manifold..... weird anyway ..... so I got to thinking and drove to my buddies house to check the head .... the head bolts were loose and all torqued different it seemed . Some were like a quarter turn before the torque wrench clicked and only one clicked without turning.... I retorqued my head but haven't driven anywhere ... do you guys think I hurt anything by driving so long with it loose?? I will be headed to work in a bit to test it out

gottadiesel

Flyin Low
Feb 16, 2009
Vancouver, Washington
Sounds like the re-torque after 5 heat cycles perhaps did not happen after engine build? I know you bought the motor, but not sure if it was run before you bought it or not...

Hopefully someone else will chime in, you may or may not have done some damage... but it sounds like your torque settings to begin with may not have been accurate... so you may be to the point of pulling the head, checking everything out and re-install with proper torque settings for the lube being used etc...

Guess we'll see what happens in the short term on your drive to work...

wiseco7mgt

dirty mechanic
Aug 12, 2007
queensland
Wow that sucks, after the car overheating like it has, have the head tested to see if the alloy is annealed or you may find yourself doing the whole job again and again.
Great excuse to change out valve stem seals and check the seating of the valves.
The Metal head gaskets are cheap to buy now so the whole process is fairly painless and piece of mind.
Enjoy..

mkiiichip

Sep 10, 2007
WI
Well at least you found the issue.
IMO step #3 to owning a mkiii, is getting a dd. That way decisions are made with the car in mind, not transportation. The 7m needs lots of lovin, and "quick, get it back on the road" methods dont work here.
Sucks to hear another supra is down for a while, but refreshing to hear youll do it right.

First BHG?

gottadiesel

Flyin Low
Feb 16, 2009
Vancouver, Washington
jdmfreak;1701512 said:
Yup I think this time I will get a dd so I can do it right

AMEN to that... That is why we have 3 cars... they are all paid for and the newest is a '97... They are all reasonable to fix and if one breaks... you have two others to drive while you take the time to pull the broken one in the shop and FIX it RIGHT... The demands of needing it for a daily driver with no back up, can easily lead to temptations of short cuts...

Let me know if you run into any big issues, if the timing is right I may be able to help if needed...

Good Luck!

jdmfreak

PACNW
Oct 8, 2010
north clark co. WA.
gottadiesel;1701651 said:
AMEN to that... That is why we have 3 cars... they are all paid for and the newest is a '97... They are all reasonable to fix and if one breaks... you have two others to drive while you take the time to pull the broken one in the shop and FIX it RIGHT... The demands of needing it for a daily driver with no back up, can easily lead to temptations of short cuts...

Let me know if you run into any big issues, if the timing is right I may be able to help if needed...

Good Luck!

Thanks a bunch I hope to have it back on the road in time for the m&g but that's paycheck depending :) oh well now I have a 94 eclipse to get me to work

jdmfreak

PACNW
Oct 8, 2010
north clark co. WA.
Ok so don't have my hg fixed yet but I got the timing monitor hooked up:) so if that was the origional issue I can watch .....now as far as timing control goes fullthrottle didn't seem to work for me today so I couldn't hook it up... is that something I should do???? And if so would one of you guys happen to have a wiring diagram???

syty1

Jan 26, 2009
los gatos, ca
Nobody has mentioned mirror-finish on the block and head for a MHG. If it's not mirror finish....it Will leak - garoonnnteeed

jdmfreak

PACNW
Oct 8, 2010
north clark co. WA.
Is a mirror finish something I can do myself?? Because I was gonna make sure nothing was warped and every thin was in spec then just slap a new hg in otherwise get it decked and resurfaced

Devin LeBlanc

Banned
Apr 7, 2010
Las Vegas NV.
I would recommend getting the head decked no matter what, The block I would check for warpage and make sure its not warped. I would personally not recommend going with a MHG unless the block is decked. Here is one we did recently and it shows how much the block surface varies. You can see after the first few passes it is all kinds of warped and pitted. Also shows why you have to unassembled the whole block including freeze plugs and oil galley's when you surface and bore/hone a block, metal shavings get everywhere!

p1728363_1.jpg

p1728363_2.jpg

Finished product "mirror Finish"

p1728363_3.jpg

SupraCorwin

Shadow
Oct 14, 2008
Washington
By mirror finish he means that the roughness index (RA) is so low flat/smooth that it looks like a mirror, which is done by taking material off the block and head at a shop. Remember to have them do it with the timing cover on, and then buy a MHG the right size to make up for the difference of lost material. :)

Like he said ^^

Status
Not open for further replies.