Chunks' Build

TurboStreetCar

Formerly Nosechunks
Feb 25, 2006
Long Island, Ny
Well just under two years later struggling with a transmission vibration that FINALLY got fixed, in the process the oil line from the oil pump to the block came apart and torched a maing bearing causeing it to spin in the block.

p1929537_1.jpg

Block is a paperweight now. :cry:

In other news im going 2jz :evil2:.......Stand by for 7M Partout. :(

TurboStreetCar

Formerly Nosechunks
Feb 25, 2006
Long Island, Ny
Yea it does suck, but as much as it sucks, i have been thinking about going 2j for a while. I never really had an excuse untill now. Its just not worth it to dump a couple thousand in machine work into that motor when i can use a stock 2j and make the same power.

The spun main bearing was kind of like a calling. It was my car saying, "Its time, Go 2jz".

The 7M has been great and i will miss it though.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
Nosechunks;1929537 said:
Well just under two years later struggling with a transmission vibration that FINALLY got fixed, in the process the oil line from the oil pump to the block came apart and torched a maing bearing causeing it to spin in the block.

p1959032_1.jpg

Damn....

I said way back when people started doing this, the hose is not meant to be submersed... there's proof..

I always ran a stock hardline and Banjo and never had an issue, I doubt there are too many 7M's that saw the sustained high RPM my engine did.

CyFi6

Aliens.
Oct 11, 2007
Phoenix
www.google.com
Nosechunks;1929537 said:

p1959034_1.jpg

Ouch, I was way too afraid to use that line when I did my build. Something about using rubber inside the motor where you cant get to it made me feel uneasy lol. Sucks that something that simple killed your motor, but your mock up looks promising!

TurboStreetCar

Formerly Nosechunks
Feb 25, 2006
Long Island, Ny
IJ: Yea i felt better with the larger -8an line but i think it would a combination of being submersed and the insane vibration i was trying to cure that did it in, it was in there for a long time before it failed.

Cyfi6: Yea i was pretty upset when i found out the motor was done. But i have sold all the main parts and recouped some of the cost of getting the 2j so its not that bad. Its everything else that sucks, Like buying new turbo manifold, motor mounts and a entire new ATI Gm trans kit to get everything to hook up to the 2jz.

The other general benefit is that this has forced me to redo alot of things i wasnt happy with or rushed together before. I repositioned my oil and trans coolers, added a PS cooler, ran all new oil lines and tapped the trans and oil pan for temp senders.

When i finally get it going the seemingly endless project will actually be complete.

TurboStreetCar

Formerly Nosechunks
Feb 25, 2006
Long Island, Ny
More pictures of the custom FFIM i made.

Stock 2jz-ge lower runners. 3/16 plate for plenum floor drilled and welded to the runners. Put a radius on the entry to the runners, and smoothed it with a scotch brite disc. The part of the weld you can see sticking up is only sticking up like .005". I didnt want to grind it down too low and risk having the weld be too thin. I also welded the plate to the runners on the back side of the plate to give extra strength.

p1959279_1.jpg

p1959279_2.jpg

p1959279_3.jpg

p1959279_4.jpg

Used 3.5" Tubing to make the main parts of the plenum. Ive estimated the volume of the plenum to be approximately 3.25 liters. Should flow plenty of air for my needs.

p1959279_5.jpg

p1959279_6.jpg

p1959279_7.jpg

p1959279_8.jpg

p1959279_9.jpg

p1959279_10.jpg

3/4" Thick plate drilled and bored to a hair larger then the 75mm throttle body bore. Then drilled and tapped 6mm for the throttle body bolts.

p1959279_11.jpg

p1959279_12.jpg

Mounted for mockup

p1959279_13.jpg

Like a glove! ::w00t::

Mar 30, 2005
Florida
just saw the picture of the braided line coming apart. I'm surprised that line came apart like that. There must have been a huge pressure spike. That normally happens during cold startup...is this when it happened? That's why I am going with the full flow hard line that arizona performance makes.
CIMG5154_resize.JPG

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
NegativeGeForce;1977606 said:
just saw the picture of the braided line coming apart. I'm surprised that line came apart like that. There must have been a huge pressure spike. That normally happens during cold startup...is this when it happened? That's why I am going with the full flow hard line that arizona performance makes.
CIMG5154_resize.JPG
Came apart because it's NOT submersible Hose..... NOTHING wrong with the stock hardline and banjos many high HP cars have used it over the years without failure or issue..

TurboStreetCar

Formerly Nosechunks
Feb 25, 2006
Long Island, Ny
Yea sucks about the 7m but I'm happy to now have a 2jz in there.

I'm not sure when the hose came apart my oil pressure gauge wasn't working at the time.

I have so many pics to put up.

Mar 30, 2005
Florida
IJ.;1977700 said:
Came apart because it's NOT submersible Hose..... NOTHING wrong with the stock hardline and banjos many high HP cars have used it over the years without failure or issue..

I don't think its the hose itself. Its those AN hose fittings...they clamp on that hose and when submersed under oil it has a chance of slipping the hose under high pressure. I bet a 200psi spike probably happened on cold startup and did it in.

Banjo bolt is fine but I think it would be silly to skip a $130 upgraded oil hard line for a $9000 dollar engine. Same with those restrictive and oil robbing stock oil filter/oil cooler housing...ditch that junk.

Lesson learned: Always have a working oil pressure gauge :)

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
NegativeGeForce;1977756 said:
I don't think its the hose itself. Its those AN hose fittings...they clamp on that hose and when submersed under oil it has a chance of slipping the hose under high pressure. I bet a 200psi spike probably happened on cold startup and did it in.

Banjo bolt is fine but I think it would be silly to skip a $130 upgraded oil hard line for a $9000 dollar engine. Same with those restrictive and oil robbing stock oil filter/oil cooler housing...ditch that junk.

Lesson learned: Always have a working oil pressure gauge :)
Wrong hose in the wrong place, the fittings would be fine to 1000psi... IF the hose hadn't gone soft and failed where the fitting screws on to hold it....

Piece of Teflon hose in there would have been fine but as I said earlier there is no logical reason to do anything with the stock hardline as there's no sign of it ever restricting flow and damaging engines...