Chunks' Build

Silver MK3

Jan 24, 2011
Madison, AL
Nosechunks;2030598 said:
Thanks! Yea im thinking of going in the beginning of next year. Maybe around April. I gotta finish the tune. Its only tuned on 20psi and i want to dial in the timing at 25 psi. Might go a little bit higher. Id love to get a 9.999999999 time slip. :biglaugh:

Thanks! Yea the whole hood is CF. I was originally going to paint the whole thing. When i was making the two repairs and sanding it for paint, i wet it down with the hose. It looked so sick wet i decided i had to leave a portion of it CF. Both repairs i had to make were on the side portions, and i always thought just having the middle CF looked good. So thats how it ended up. I wish i knew the brand of the hood. I got it used and have no idea what brand it is.

Ah, that's what I thought, that the center part was the only exposed carbon fiber part, but I wasn't sure if the pictures were deceiving me or not. The car looks great like that, it definitely adds a different touch too, I don't think I've ever seen another car done like that, let alone a MK3.

TurboStreetCar

Formerly Nosechunks
Feb 25, 2006
Long Island, Ny
Figured it was time for another video. So hard to launch it with minimal wheel spin. The converter is a little loose. This is me leaving with zero boost.

I also finally got around to getting my monitor for the CarPC installed into the dash.

p2033997_1.jpg

Last edited:

emiliorescigno

Supramania Contributor
Sep 17, 2006
Woodbury, MN
How have I missed this build for so long? Your car looks awesome, and your fabrication skills are excellent.

Builds like this are what SM is all about, we'll leave the janky stuff for the facebook groups. :D

TurboStreetCar

Formerly Nosechunks
Feb 25, 2006
Long Island, Ny
ProEFI IS IN! Went to dyno yesterday and made 550HP at 23Psi with 63% ethanol in the tank! Pretty pumped nothing broke this time. I was hoping for a little more power but my converter just wasnt having it. Its pretty loose.

Video and Dynocharts to come.

Gotta say this ProEFI works amazing. I made ONE fuel correction after the second pull and never had to touch the fuel again. The AFR was ROCK SOLID. Im SUPER pumped how well it worked. Very happy.

TurboStreetCar

Formerly Nosechunks
Feb 25, 2006
Long Island, Ny
Little video from the dyno. I didnt get all the pulls. Had a little bit of camera difficulties.

[video=youtube;gp-rwyCPAB8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gp-rwyCPAB8[/video]

p2046777_1.jpg

Silver MK3

Jan 24, 2011
Madison, AL
Very Nice! The car actually sounds kinda quiet, I wasn't expecting that, I like the tone though. Sounds good, and makes a lot of power too!

TurboStreetCar

Formerly Nosechunks
Feb 25, 2006
Long Island, Ny
Thanks! Yes i try to keep it as quiet as possible. Its got 2 4" mufflers and the wastegate is recirculated back into the downpipe. Its very unsuspecting.

Unfortunately the motor got a knock. So im going to be pullin the motor for a rebuild.

I bought a donor motor because im assuming there is going to be a spun bearing in my motor and i dont want to chance a rebuild with a damaged crank or block im using the block and crank from the donor motor that has no issues to start with.

Was bored so i made a time lapse of the tear down. I prolly should have put some music to it or something but here it is for anyone interested. And yes, i do need a bigger garage. I also realize now i should have had the front of the motor facing the camera.

Last edited:

TurboStreetCar

Formerly Nosechunks
Feb 25, 2006
Long Island, Ny
Finally got my motor torn down to see what happened to make it start knocking.

Check out what i found.

p2047558_1.jpg

p2047558_2.jpg

p2047558_3.jpg

p2047558_4.jpg

One doesnt look like the other two!

And a time lapse of the teardown

Last edited:

TurboStreetCar

Formerly Nosechunks
Feb 25, 2006
Long Island, Ny
Rollus;2047629 said:

I dont believe so, the Wiped bearing has the appearance that its been smooshed across its surface. The rod bearing in the bent rod is still extremely smooth. Its got a polished like surface with (as you can see) relatively even wear across it. I believe its just what 700Ish HP does to a bearing spinning up to 7500 at stock clearance.

None of the 25 examples are a good representation of that bearing. It still fits snuggly in the cap and end of the rod. Its not crushed or deformed at all. Its just been polished.

Page 6 HERE shows the "normal" wear of the bearing. while its not a nice color photo, it does match up with the wear seen on the bearing on the bent rod.

schmuckingham;2047633 said:
Go home rod, your drunk.

Haha the only place that rod is going is on my wall!

Rollus

Jun 2, 2011
Paris, France
OK Chunk.

My eyes arn't well trained to this yet. From your Clevite 77 document, I'd say more page 19 (pdf 24) than 1 (pdf 6), as I can see (maybe polished) strips on your pic.

Maybe 700ish HP make at stock clearance make it tight. Also, Clevite spec are more betwen high and limit Toy spec.

TurboStreetCar

Formerly Nosechunks
Feb 25, 2006
Long Island, Ny
Mine really arent either. This is the first instance of trying to diagnose a bearing to predict a potential issue that i have encountered. The 7M Bearings were spun/wiped, and otherwise destroyed so it was easy to determine (along with knowing the oil line wasnt connected anymore) that it was starvation of oil.

Accelerated wear is possible but i feel that in the illustration on page 24 it shows nearly the entire surface of the bearing is worn. It is possible that ive had some accelerated wear. That crank wasnt polished or touched other then to have it cleaned as the motor came apart in running condition. It was also built to stock specs. I have read that good clearances for a performance engine below 1khp is .0025" for the rods and .002" for the mains witch is outside of the stsandard spec for a 2J but is within the "maximum" limits.

Im thinking that at my power level maybe things are starting to flex and move around in the thousands of a inch level that maybe more breathing room in the bearings may benefit.

Im going to my machine shop today and im going to discuss bearing clearances with him further.

Heres a picture of the ProEFI log from the run that bent the rod.

The lines from highest to lowest are as follows. Blue = TPS, Green= MAP, Pink = Fuel Pressure (variance is below 2PSI), Purple = RPM, White = Ignition timing.

p2047712_1.jpg

You can see that boost spiked from 25 up to just over 27psi here

p2047712_2.jpg

I removed the O2 multiplier and AFR feedback so you can see the other parameters clearly. O2 multiplier is the correction from the O2 feedback. It was always within 5 percent and actualy was more stable at the higher boost with only a smaller 2-3 percent correction. There was no signs of detonation in the log or on the piston/combustion chamber.

I think my plan moving forward with the new motor is to pull 1 degree of timing above 20psi to be on the safe side and later in the year go back to tune it up to around 30psi.

At that point i think ill blow up my TH350 and be down again.