CajunKenny's Build Thread

toyotanos

What will we break today?
Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 29, 2008
Coon Rapids, MN
That camera looks like so much fun! I was just marveling at the side-mount video in post 754- your paint is so clean and the reflection because of it looks so awesome!

CajunKenny

PULL MY FINGER. PLEASE!
Nov 15, 2007
Washington
Thanks Steve! It's a blast!

I'm going to up the quality of my conversions a bit. It still looks good after I get done processing it; but, when YouTube gets through with it's Flash Conversion, it loses quite a bit of quality.

CajunKenny

PULL MY FINGER. PLEASE!
Nov 15, 2007
Washington
Well, I got a call yesterday that my wheels are here. Yay!!!

I'm going to go have them mounted up after work today. I should have pics up later this evening!

supra girl

supra girl
May 13, 2010
tricity washington
What kind of wheels did you get? Getting new tires too?

I have a disk of pictures for you from our trip to the wet side also.
give Rob a call, come over and show off your new wheels and pickup your cd of pictures.

Did well at the car show on saturday.

CajunKenny

PULL MY FINGER. PLEASE!
Nov 15, 2007
Washington
Yeah, I heard you cleaned up at the show. That's awesome! I wish I could've made it by... :(

The wheels are XXR502's in Chromium Black. No tires since mine still have the little nobbies on them. :) They're getting put on at 1pm today. I'll call you guys around then.

CajunKenny

PULL MY FINGER. PLEASE!
Nov 15, 2007
Washington
Ok. The new wheels are mounted. I don't think I like them; but, that could just be that I'm not used to them. I wish they were lighter. Hopefully, they'll grow on me...

It was a bad time of day to take pics because the sun was directly overhead. The resulting shadow makes them appear darker than they are.

p1589628_1.jpg

p1589628_2.jpg

p1589628_3.jpg

p1589628_4.jpg

p1589628_5.jpg

p1589628_6.jpg

thedave925

Since 9/16/05
Nov 9, 2005
East Bay, Cali
Thats a really pretty good mix of dark and light color coordination.
I like the rounded lip. Of course I'm partial since my car has that feature too ;)
Why i like the rounded lips is:
At dusk, from ~60ft in front of the car, the wheels highlight that bad ass stance the ever so slight dip in the front suspension gives.
Add in the local lights reflecting on the curvy body and the way the hood cuts a hard contrast, what a sweet sight.
The rim lips give perspective.

CajunKenny

PULL MY FINGER. PLEASE!
Nov 15, 2007
Washington
Man...tell me how you REALLY feel Dave... ;)

Thanks for the new perspective. I'll back it out of the garage a little bit later and look at them in a softer light and see what I think. And in a day or so, I'll take that ~60' sunset shot you speak of and post it up. :)

tsupranami

Drain Bamaged
Mar 11, 2006
Eastern WA
Gettin' lippy! I like it! And like Dave said, the gray goes well with the car. They just look RIGHT. Like they were suposed to be on the car originally.

When you know a car looks good, but don't know why, that is when all the parts and styles are working in harmony to make a simply beautiful object. Nothing stands out, but instead, all parts compliment each other and complete the package.

Well done. I can't wait to se them in person.

BTW, do you know how much they weigh? My old ones were 56 lbs. (18x8.5) and 58lbs. (18x9.5), with the tires. Heavy.

Lighter wheels do make the car perform much better. We traded style for performance with the Enkie's. As a result, I don't think our wheels blend as well with the rest of our car like yours do.

CajunKenny

PULL MY FINGER. PLEASE!
Nov 15, 2007
Washington
Thanks everyone!

As far as weight goes, I picked up ~4 lbs per rim. So I only added 8 lbs of rotational mass. My Enkei's were 21.6 and these are 24.? It was definitely something I considered prior to purchasing. And yes. They ride a little smoother than the lighter Enkei's.

Rob: Maybe I can head out to your place on Friday. I'll be getting off work around 12:30 that day.

tsupranami

Drain Bamaged
Mar 11, 2006
Eastern WA
Heavier rides better? That's wierd. My understanding of physics says that reduced unsprung wieght allows for more suspension movement prior to body movement, so I am confused. Our new Enkie's dropped 8 lbs. front and 10 lbs. rear, and the ride improved noticably, especially over bumps and at the autocross. The wheels are able to stay planted to the ground better and the damping improves as the shocks have to control less weight in motion.

Are you just talking about vibrations when you say they are smoother?

Personally, I'll never get another set of wheels just for looks. Every time I have done it that way, the wheels were extremely heavy (compared to stock) and the ride deteriorated considrably.

I'm from the Lotus/Colin Chapman school of thought on performance - "add more lightness!." It's usually easier and cheaper than adding horsepower. Lightness improves the entire performance package, acceleration, cornering, and braking.

HP only improves acceleration.

Of course, 3800lb. MK3 Supras are probably the worst place to start when trying to make a light weight sports car LOL! But every bit helps.

See you Friday, if not before...

CajunKenny

PULL MY FINGER. PLEASE!
Nov 15, 2007
Washington
Yeah, I was referring to smoothness due to less vibration. My take is that the heavier wheel would absorb more of the subtle vibrations. Of course, it didn't help that one of my fronts had a slightly bent lip from the previous owner's elementary driving... ;)

I completely agree with making things lighter. In this case, I added ~20 lbs overall weight! :(

By the way: I weighed my car a few weeks ago (with old wheels) and it came in at 3570 with almost 3/4 tank of gas.

It sounds like your 3800 lb fatty needs to lose some more weight! :biglaugh:

GC89

1J-THIS
Jun 13, 2007
Spokane, WA
Looks good ken, you heading to BC? Thats the same color and width/offset I am planning on getting but was debating if the gunmetal or the silver would look better on red. Im looking forward to checking them out in person with the right offset. I saw an srt with them the other day but they were 17s in fwd offset and 8'' and they discouraged me a bit. Sadly Delilah wont be making the voyage to Pac NW with me but Ill still be there to live vicariously through others.

CajunKenny

PULL MY FINGER. PLEASE!
Nov 15, 2007
Washington
Thanks Ryan. We'll have to make other arrangements for you to see them because I can't make it to PACNW because of work. :( The earliest I could leave would be noon on Friday which wouldn't put me there until late which only leaves Saturday to enjoy. Doesn't seem worth it...

Plus, my car isn't ready to be seen by that many eyes. ;)

GC89

1J-THIS
Jun 13, 2007
Spokane, WA
We will definitely have to set up that meet we have been BSing about forever. Im hoping to have my car pretty close to ready for the booth by the time I head to bc so hopefully it will go back together somewhat quick once I get back.