CajunKenny's Build Thread

CajunKenny

PULL MY FINGER. PLEASE!
Nov 15, 2007
Washington
thedave925;1587872 said:
That brought a smile out, thanks for the vid!
Where is your base timing at?

Now that I'm getting the hang of how to use it, I'll get more vids up.

My base timing set to stock. 10*BTDC. I'm considering giving it a little. Maybe 12*? What are your thoughts?

toyotanos;1587876 said:
Sweet! You are going to have so much fun with those little monsters!

Yeah, that vid was taken at 12 psi. I hadn't turned the boost up yet; but, acceleration is noticeably smoother with these coils. I'm ready for another dyno session! :)

thedave925

Since 9/16/05
Nov 9, 2005
East Bay, Cali
My timing question came from the ignition break up actually, not a thought towards creating more power.

The PO had my car set at 14*btdc on a shimmed ct26 pushing about 12psi.
It was responsive down low, and my first turbo car ride, so accel coming on at midrange was scary new and wonderful compared to my v8 past.

The car ran fine a few years and then i learned that preignition, however inconspicuous, can hammer the bearings to rodknock.
So its all a balancing act and advancing the timing is that much closer to an edge we work hard to avoid...

I'd say leave it alone.
There is a spot of large timing advance on the ecu before 3k where you probably pull lots more psi with this turbo than the ct26 could do.
The caveat is with the ecu's timing advance, it doesn't add enough fuel even though your seeing positive pressure before that 3k mark.
The larger turbo accentuates the issue.
With an SAFR or similar piggy pack, you can add fuel and force the ecu to back off the timing advance in that rpm range... still a bandaid :/

CajunKenny

PULL MY FINGER. PLEASE!
Nov 15, 2007
Washington
Well, as you know I'm running the Maft Pro. I am monitoring timing; but, haven't hooked up the control part yet. Soon though!

I'll post a log up; but, when the breakup happened, the only sign of it in the log was a dip in rpm.

I'm not one to push the envelope; but, I love to be preventative. I wouldn't try to "cheat" by adjusting base timing; but, would certainly make adjustments to avoid detonation. What I really need is a standalone! ;)

Do you think the breakup is related to timing or were you just checking to see where it was at?

Log will be up shortly...

EDIT: So, is this timing advancement you're referring to right when the switch to open loop occurs?

Last edited:

CajunKenny

PULL MY FINGER. PLEASE!
Nov 15, 2007
Washington
Here are three logs from yesterday. These are all with the new coils. The last one is at the higher boost level and I have AFR Tracking on.

New coils, 15 psi, no AFR Tracking

p1588019_1.png

p1588019_2.png

New coils, 16 psi, AFR Tracking

p1588019_3.png

thedave925

Since 9/16/05
Nov 9, 2005
East Bay, Cali
CajunKenny;1588013 said:
I am monitoring timing; but, haven't hooked up the control part yet. Soon though!

... when the breakup happened, the only sign of it... was a dip in rpm.

I'm not one to push the envelope; but, I love to be preventative. I wouldn't try to "cheat" by adjusting base timing; but, would certainly make adjustments to avoid detonation
p1588020_1.png
. What I really need is a standalone!

Do you think the breakup is related to timing or were you just checking to see where it was at?

LOL kidding kidding...

The ignition break up is more likely fuel related and NOT base timing related.
There was a thread months back of BIC figuring out how to overcome ignition break up at 17psi on the 1jz builds.
http://www.supramania.com/forums/sh...s-and-standalone-EMS-s&highlight=BIC+ignition
After looking at the thread, I see that since you went COP too, there's not many reasons for the ignition break up.
I haven't gone the COP route so i don't have positive answers how the ignition is supposed to work, but my understanding is that fresher coils are the king pin on adding more pressure.

-Dave

EDIT:
I'm definitely not guru enough for this stuff but looking at the charts, if you compare where you let off throttle, you'll see consistent patterns where AF meter perks up before you let off and it leans out accordingly.
Intake temp starts at 60-74*f and jumps to 135*f averaged, is that right?

New coils and consistent chart patterns, i haven't a clue besides guessing your fuel may be the issue.

Lets gets more knowledgeable ppl to chime in!

Last edited:

CajunKenny

PULL MY FINGER. PLEASE!
Nov 15, 2007
Washington
Lol... :)

Cool, thanks for the thread reference!

I've also read in a couple of places where folks have picked up ~2 psi of boost just by switching to the COP's. Definitely interesting stuff...

thedave925

Since 9/16/05
Nov 9, 2005
East Bay, Cali
Yup really cool idea that tookwik had.
I'd be doing the COP move for my build if it wasn't something i could do later, right now i just wanna git'r done!

So you got 550s, walbro, maft-pro, 2.5" hardpipes and intercooler, and more.
why would you have ignition break up with that plug gap at 16 psi...

I'm off to fiddle some more on my rebuild/garage disaster ;)

CajunKenny

PULL MY FINGER. PLEASE!
Nov 15, 2007
Washington
Well, if you look at the last log, you can see the dip in rpm and compared to the other logs it gets jumpy in the same spot everytime. I don't know what else it could be; but, my ears are certainly perked to ideas! ;)

This rpm jitter in that spot doesn't happen so much at 12 psi and under.

One thing I have learned is that even back to back logs/pulls yield different results so it could've been a fluke. I doubt it though... If it continues, I'm going to rebuild one of my spare CPS's and install that.

CajunKenny

PULL MY FINGER. PLEASE!
Nov 15, 2007
Washington
Looking through my logs, it consistently starts around 4800 and stops around 5300. Up to 4800 and after 5300 are very clean.

New plugs, nearly brand new MK4 2JZGE Coils, nearly new NGK plug wires, and plugs are gapped at 23 thou.

CajunKenny

PULL MY FINGER. PLEASE!
Nov 15, 2007
Washington
Not currently. I will within the next week or so.

I'll add a little more timing there and see what happens.

Thanks IJ!

CajunKenny

PULL MY FINGER. PLEASE!
Nov 15, 2007
Washington
Just got back from a little street tuning session. Nothing like running a laptop with one hand and the steering wheel in the other! :D

The only change I made to the car today was up'd the FP up a bit and stabalized the 16 psi setting. She's doing good so far.

Sorry for how dark it is outside. I didn't make it out until 9:40 or so. All pulls were to the top of third. On to the vid...

[video=youtube;ngB0ZSKQWI8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ngB0ZSKQWI8[/video]

tekdeus

Pronounced Tek-DAY-us
Jan 23, 2006
Vancouver Canada
www.bitrontech.com
I wonder why it would be spark blowout? I run bone stock ignition at 22psi all day long with lots of water/meth, and even once up to 28psi it didn't break up. Right around 5000rpm is the torque peak, and with my car on the dyno, it was right in this area that they heard some pinging and had to richen it up there. Any chance pinging could cause breakup via the knock sensors?

Last edited:

CajunKenny

PULL MY FINGER. PLEASE!
Nov 15, 2007
Washington
Thanks for that bit of info there Brad. It is quite easy for me to add a bit of fuel in that particular area. I'll do that and watch that rpm range for improvement. I'm headed back to the dyno in a few weeks so while I'm there, I'll pay closer attention to that spot.

djordan97

Apr 14, 2006
Kennewick WA
hmm i was gonna say run colder plugs but that should be enough and I didn't have any problems with spark break up once I went with the oem plug the one the chiltons recomends

CajunKenny

PULL MY FINGER. PLEASE!
Nov 15, 2007
Washington
Well, I've just been having too much fun with this GoPro...

Today, I chased down a Plymouth Prowler. (you see it at the beginning of the vid) Sadly, he wouldn't run... :(

[video=youtube;jPIH1Y0GO3o]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jPIH1Y0GO3o[/video]

Last edited: