CajunKenny's Build Thread

CajunKenny

PULL MY FINGER. PLEASE!
Nov 15, 2007
Washington
Depending on how much of a discount one could get, I would say $2200-$2800. I don't remember what my buddy paid; but, it was somewhere in that range.

Steve?

toyotanos

What will we break today?
Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 29, 2008
Coon Rapids, MN
Last time I checked it was around 2700 list iirc

seriously considered it before building my engine, too.

crisp

existentialincrementalist
May 25, 2007
Ohio
toyotanos;1594296 said:
Last time I checked it was around 2700 list iirc

seriously considered it before building my engine, too.

Hmmm... I was curious because after 15 years with my car, and MOST of those miles with at least an upgraded hybrid turbo, my stock bottom end is holding up very well. (SO FAR! ...fingers crossed?) That and considering how many struggle with head issues at some point, especially when first getting their project supra, or bottom end knock, etc... I'd think that's a GREAT deal to consider!

At this point, with my mods... both present and planned, I'll definitely be looking at a full motor (bottom) build. (IJ's head should be GOOD TO GO for awhile, I suspect!:))

Heck, If I were picking up another Supra (such as the CHERRY white one w/perfect interior in my area for $1200!!!) I'd consider that block, as it's only issue is a blown head gasket! (Or course, I don't trust the bottom end w/that coolant down there... and unknown history of how long run with the bhg.)

-crisp

toyotanos

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 29, 2008
Coon Rapids, MN
Well think of it this way- Before I bought it, my engine was overheated so badly the block and head were warped enough to be able to blow a composite HG near instantly. It needed .012 machined off of the block to clean up all the warpage and a new head was sourced. After that I had the mains line-bored, the cyls bored .20 over and the whole thing thoroughly cleaned. Add some forged bits and good bearings, and I have a better-than-stock, brand new short block for $1,000 more. Take into account that my engine had 195,000 on it originally (so I didn't want to stress the old parts) and that's a pretty sweet deal. As long as your machinist knows what they're doing, that is...
just my .02

supra girl

supra girl
May 13, 2010
tricity washington
The engine is in and now hookings up hoses and wires. Hooray. And those who have asked how much it cost for a new block and head just over 6 grand with gaskets and other things needed to assemble the engine. In April 2010, we purchased the second to last one in the United States from a local Toyota dealer and last year in April 2009 we bought on from another Toyota parts dealer back east.
Hope we will be able to turn the key before the end of the week. We will keep you posted.

CajunKenny

PULL MY FINGER. PLEASE!
Nov 15, 2007
Washington
So, I just got back from Discount Tire to have my two rear replacements put on. They boogered up the first two rears when they mounted up the tire...

I thought no biggie, just get me a couple new ones and we'll go from there. They did, and again they boogered up the lips...

Argh... So, then they tell me that the XXR 502's have a pressed on lip with no underlying support and they cannot be mounted without denting them. I'm like...HUH...???

All this means that I'm back in the market for a new set of wheels. I'm considering going with a set of Thicker 5 Spoke Gunmetal with a Polished lip. Or a set of Gunmetal Honeycomb type with a Polished lip.

I'm definitely staying away from XXR's though. ;)

This is what I'm thinking...
p1595661_1.jpg

toyotanos

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 29, 2008
Coon Rapids, MN
I'm calling BS... I've mounted tires on all kinds of goofy rims- multi-piece, reverse mount, beadlock, etc. and never ran into a rim that dented unless I bashed it. I would avoid that place like the plague, Ken, they're out to kill your rims ;P . I thought they looked rather nice.

CajunKenny

PULL MY FINGER. PLEASE!
Nov 15, 2007
Washington
I watched them mount them onto their press. They tried not to dent the lips by padding the clamps with rags. I'm not a tire mounting guy; but, it looked to me like they took every care they could have taken. As soon as they tried to press the tire on, you could see the lip cave a little. When they removed it from the press, there were dents. The fronts came out just fine. I don't get it...

After they explained the construction of the lip on those 502's, I lost confidence in the wheel...

djordan97

Apr 14, 2006
Kennewick WA
I would still say that they're screwing with yah kenny cause on my old rims on my supra there weren't any problems like and we put narrower tires on just as wide of rims

CajunKenny

PULL MY FINGER. PLEASE!
Nov 15, 2007
Washington
djordan97;1595882 said:
I would still say that they're screwing with yah kenny cause on my old rims on my supra there weren't any problems like and we put narrower tires on just as wide of rims

Oh well. At least I'll get to find something a little more to my liking...

SupraRon;1595905 said:
Very odd Kenny. If its any consolation, I like the ones above that you are looking into better.

Thanks Ron. Here are other considerations...

Vertini Riviera
p1596009_1.jpg

Volk RE30
p1596009_2.jpg