Automatic or Manual?

Turbo Habanero

Apr 28, 2009
Tucson,AZ
nick88;1406735 said:
A turbo car is faster with an automatic trans, becuase it will keep the turbo spooled up in between shifts. When it takes longer to shift it manually, but a 5spd is more fun to drive than a auto.

He might of meant stock for stock i would put money on the stick taking the Auto. and would also do it anywhere until they get into the 450+ range but thats just me.

I love my stick i got really bord with my autp always felt like i didnt have control or that i was missing something.

On the other hand Auto's are

* Easier to drive
* Don't have to worry about missing a gear
* Just press the gas and go
* Road head takes less work
* Drunk driving is more possible
* When you let someone drive you car they can't burn up the clutch (Dude yea i know how to drive a stick i swear)

Davismj711

PA Mountain Supra
I did the swap last year, Auto out R154 in. I am content with the swap but as I am Ians elder by 7 years I also miss my auto at times.

I live in a twisty turnny area in the mountains or foot hills of Central PA. That is where I like the stick.

If I am in stop and go traffic I miss the auto. As another member mentioned I tend to agree that the Supra seemed more refined and smoother with the Auto also.

It truly is a mixed bag. Had my auto not been on its way out I may have never done the swap.

Koenigturbo

Oct 4, 2006
Oxnard CA
:naughty:
IJ.;1406617 said:
Have had both in my car and MUCH prefer the Auto! :)

IJ how the heck did you get both, manual and auto in the same car? You mean, you automaticly shift your manual or do you manualy shift your auto:3d_frown::3d_frown:

Like my friend would say: "An automatic in a sports car"?

I love my stick shift, I love the side ways feel when it hit's the next gear besides auto's suck up to much power. besides when a auto needs to be rebuilt it's expensive. Most of the time when a stick doesn't work, MOST of the time you replace the clutch, and your good to go. there's not a shop (at least in my experience) that will only replace what's broke in a auto, IE: Clutch pack, they will replace everything.
Manual: it's pretty straight forward, It works or it doesn't......MOST case's, plus they are lighter in weight. Also, no pan to drop to install the filter, no bands to adjust. Auto's are for "Top fuel' racers:naughty:

Last edited:

Reiketsukan

Jack of All Trades
Apr 13, 2009
United States
Turbo Habanero;1406975 said:
He might of meant stock for stock i would put money on the stick taking the Auto.

I can't see where the level of modification would make a difference if both engines were equal in output. An auto still won't loose boost between shifts!

When I first went Supra shopping the first one I looked at was a manual, and the second was an auto. The manual was a POS for sure, but in any event, I still didn't like the feel of the shifter, the clutch, the placement of the shifter or clutch pedal... any of it. I had been driving a GS-R swapped civic hatchback for years, so I was kind of spoiled by it's ergonomics and it's rod-shifted trans. (very crisp, smooth shifting action) Manual Supras just aren't for me, but you should drive them both and see which you prefer!

If that guy with the manual has a receipt for the new turbo, that's a bonus for sure... Drive them both and see what YOU think!

Turbo Habanero

Apr 28, 2009
Tucson,AZ
Reiketsukan;1407056 said:
I can't see where the level of modification would make a difference if both engines were equal in output. An auto still won't loose boost between shifts!

When I first went Supra shopping the first one I looked at was a manual, and the second was an auto. The manual was a POS for sure, but in any event, I still didn't like the feel of the shifter, the clutch, the placement of the shifter or clutch pedal... any of it. I had been driving a GS-R swapped civic hatchback for years, so I was kind of spoiled by it's ergonomics and it's rod-shifted trans. (very crisp, smooth shifting action) Manual Supras just aren't for me, but you should drive them both and see which you prefer!

If that guy with the manual has a receipt for the new turbo, that's a bonus for sure... Drive them both and see what YOU think!

It was the event of questions/statements not that the auto keeps boost

nick88;1406735 said:
A turbo car is faster with an automatic trans, becuase it will keep the turbo spooled up in between shifts. When it takes longer to shift it manually, but a 5spd is more fun to drive than a auto.

He said this in regards to this

Hvyman said:
Manuals are faster

I said i think he meant stock for stock. Cause i beleave that to be true i could be wrong. I was not correcting or doubting anybody.

Reiketsukan

Jack of All Trades
Apr 13, 2009
United States
Turbo Habanero;1407085 said:
I said i think he meant stock for stock. Cause i beleave that to be true i could be wrong. I was not correcting or doubting anybody.

The auto keeping boost is what makes it faster. Stock for Stock, or x for x...
Identical power plants in identical Supras with the only difference being either auto or manual... Auto will be faster.

I was told the auto MKIV was almost a second faster in the 1/4 than the manual.
Correct me if I'm wrong!

Drake69

Enjoyin' mah ride...
Aug 24, 2009
Richmond, Virginia, United States
I've heard this too, that autos were faster marginally than sticks. But let's throw a monkey wrench into things (as I'm thinking about getting one of these...).

What difference would a "Suprastick" make in an auto then? Anyone tried a Suprastick yet?

OfnaRcR4

Shea!
Oct 2, 2006
kettering ohio
Koenigturbo;1407052 said:

IJ how the heck did you get both, manual and auto in the same car? You mean, you automaticly shift your manual or do you manualy shift your auto:3d_frown::3d_frown:

s:naughty:

Oh boy..

Anywho, i'd want both.

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
hvyman;1406615 said:
manuals are faster and more fun.

LOL...Want to back that one up? I'd like to hear it, especially the part about never dropping boost during the shifts.

Koenigturbo;1407052 said:

Like my friend would say: "An automatic in a sports car"?

I love my stick shift, I love the side ways feel when it hit's the next gear besides auto's suck up to much power. besides when a auto needs to be rebuilt it's expensive. Most of the time when a stick doesn't work, MOST of the time you replace the clutch, and your good to go. there's not a shop (at least in my experience) that will only replace what's broke in a auto, IE: Clutch pack, they will replace everything.
Manual: it's pretty straight forward, It works or it doesn't......MOST case's, plus they are lighter in weight. Also, no pan to drop to install the filter, no bands to adjust. Auto's are for "Top fuel' racers:naughty:

IJ had a TKO in then swapped it to an A340E. Keeping the auto on his current V8 build.

I guess all the high end super cars that use an auto are not considered a sports car...that's just ludicrous.

An auto is more expensive to rebuild, but it offers a heck of a lot more in terms of drive-ability. Yes, you lose a bit more HP through it, but you gain the ability to put power to the ground in a controlled way. Add a shift computer on a built tranny and you have everything a manual can do, only better. Manuals are for those guys that cant afford to run with the big dogs ;)

BTW - put a real filter on an auto (in the cooler loop) and you "might" need to drop the pan every 100,000 miles to change the internal screen.

Drake69;1407126 said:
I've heard this too, that autos were faster marginally than sticks. But let's throw a monkey wrench into things (as I'm thinking about getting one of these...).

What difference would a "Suprastick" make in an auto then? Anyone tried a Suprastick yet?

Ian ran one and has swapped over to a higher end computer that can control line pressure on a different valve body. Everything I've seen on the Suprastick is good.

What I can't figure out is the "manuals are more fun" when a built auto allows the driver to concentrate on other things...like driving the car ;)
Personal preference I can understand, but the shit's getting deep on some of the reasoning in this thread.

Koenigturbo

Oct 4, 2006
Oxnard CA
A"real" oil filter. (Smart)!! Trans computer, see these are things that I never knew about. This is why "S.M" is cool, I learn all the time,...Thanks "J Dub"
Simple = better,..at least for me. Well,...Time to order my short shifter mybe that will lower my e.t.'s:rofl:

TurboStreetCar

Formerly Nosechunks
Feb 25, 2006
Long Island, Ny
hvyman;1406615 said:
what do you prefer? manuals are faster and more fun. autos you have to build if anything over 300hp.

:nono: Dont kid yourself, the fastest cars in the world in both straights and twistys are automatic.

Reiketsukan: Not entirely true, there very close stock for stock with the slight advantage to the manual. This is only true because with a stock converter launching the car is an issue, its too tight to get into boost without spinning the tires. Stickier tires help a lot for more boost at launch but the RPM is still to low to get much better then a 2.0, even still very close.

Not to mention the Lower Spec boost for automatic cars.

But who cares about stock anyway? No one usually stays stock forever.

Turbo Habanero

Apr 28, 2009
Tucson,AZ
I don't know i prefer stick i personaly feel like i have more control. But thats just me i like doing it all Drift,Drag,Road its all fun and for me it more my style to have a stick.

And i do remind you that yes alot of top sports cars use auto trans But i have read from the maker them self's its more for the drivability for the owner but yes i do beleave that auto's have advantages when high H.P but some of those cars only come in stick also.

So i don't know they both have there up's and downs just your opion that will decide for you.

RazoE

Boobs/Boost, my favorite
Jun 13, 2006
Los Angeles
www.cafepress.com
I prefer stick!

I learned how to drive stick in my 89 and my girl learned to drive stick in her 86.5, so it's very easy to learn in a MKIII, as she drives my 92 just as easily the auto xB. I have personally never driven an auto Supra, so I can't tell you from experience, but I'd go for a 5 speed.

A. Jay

Search.
Jun 3, 2009
Bay Area, CA
My 91 supra was a auto and my 90 supra is a stick (both turbo) and I'm very torn bewteen the two. I miss the auto, but I also think about which car it was designed for, the N/A or the turbo. I like how the manual makes it feel less like transportation and more like an experience, but I hate how the needle now drops and then has to climb during shifts. The thing that matters to me the most is which can last the longest stock for my power goals, and that's why I'm glad I have a manual. But having my only car be a manual is annoying for me, and that's why I'm looking into getting something else on the side.

But yea, this is one of those questions that can most appropriately be answered with "depends" If you're into what others will think, then (in my experience) the car being an auto tends to be scoffed at.

Reiketsukan

Jack of All Trades
Apr 13, 2009
United States
nosechunks;1407176 said:
:nono: Dont kid yourself, the fastest cars in the world in both straights and twistys are automatic.

Not to mention the Lower Spec boost for automatic cars.

But who cares about stock anyway? No one usually stays stock forever.

Thx, nosechunks! Now that you mention it, I had forgotten that the auto sported less boost stock. The fact that it's damn-near the same as the manual while using less boost should support the 'auto = faster' argument.

However, at the end of the day you should just go with what you have the best time with! Have fun with it, for crap sake!