Automatic or Manual?

darrick

Jan 25, 2009
des moines
Im looking a 1990 supra thats automatic and i also am looking at a mkIII thats a manual. I just wanted to know what the folks of SM had to say about it.

darrick

Jan 25, 2009
des moines
They both are in about the same the manual had its turbo rebuilt about 5k ago. The auto has new cams and a new head.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
what do you prefer? manuals are faster and more fun. autos you have to build if anything over 300hp.

darrick

Jan 25, 2009
des moines
Im not saying i dont know how to drive a manual, if i were to have to get into it hard there could be a possiablity that i could miss a gear as for everyone else, it happens to the best of us.

mkIIIman089

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Ohio
It's splitting hairs, I think you want both, personally. Like it's been said, there are pros and cons to both.

staticpage

Banned: Scammer, liar, cheat and thief
Oct 3, 2007
Cincinnati
I have a on/off 6 puck clutch and some days it ruins the drive completely. No one likes to sit in traffic, but when your fighting a 6 puck clutch and sitting in traffic I want to kill every thing.
I have been thinking of getting a twin disk, I hear some of them engage easier and with out chatter. On some twin discs pedal feel can be like stock.

If my clutch was not so heavy and chatter so much it would be fine. So if you go 5 speed I would say chose your clutch well.

heyitsdatguy

loser.....
Jan 9, 2007
Mira Mesa,CA
I used to love driving my car when it was an auto and I wanted to convert it so bad. After the swap, I don't really like driving it anymore. It feels like a chore to even go for a cruise. So now it stays parked in the garage. Nothing wrong with the car. I just don't want to drive it anymore because it's a manual.

- Dawly

darrick

Jan 25, 2009
des moines
Thanks to everyone that had their own input on my situation. I think im going to go with the Manual, reason being I'd get to engage all the power of the car with my hands and feet, Automatic would be good for a car that is going to be a drag car. Im not saying that manuals are faster then autos because there is no man that can shift faster then a automatic with a shift kit. Another reason i decided to go with a manual for things it had over the opposing car. Thanks supramanica's

Altezza576

Jul 17, 2009
New York
I get bored very fast with Automatic cars. We have an automatic family car for sitting in traffic on sunday afternoons. (The 6puck in my MK4, makes me want to literally kill the world sitting in traffic)

I am converting my MK3 to manual this week an I will be running an OEM smooth engaging clutch disk. i want a nice easy Supra that I can take for a cruise and come back with my sanity if there is traffic.

I love the sound of a manual shifted engine on a crisy fall afternoon!