AR5 Trans Take Two: The Solstice Solution

bountykilla0118

In Pursuit of 500rwhp
Jul 16, 2005
Atlanta GA
That would be a v8 turbo right? When i am done with the straight 6's i will go small block EFI v8 twin turbo. I have been think about doing two 57 trims ct's since i have a few ct's around the house. I doubt the lag would be much :evil2:

Isphius

Supra-less :(
May 30, 2006
long branch
in reality id go with a centri supercharged TPI motor with a few intake parts and a cam and headers. Or just a carbed NA 350. That would be awesome. I always thought the supra needed a bigger motor.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
I agree with the doc, I've seen a TPI motor in a supra and it was quick...but not quicker than a BPU 7M...

now an LSX...or maybe a northstar or the ZR-1 motor, that would be fun...

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
nah...

LS7 twin turboed (has to be turboed, fuck centrifical superchargers) or the new LS supercharged motor that may be dropped into the ZO6 soon...

only issue with twin turbos is piping and the cost of two turbos...

Isphius

May 30, 2006
long branch
lol, why do tpi motors always bring on mullet references? rednecks drive trucks, italians drive camaros. And ive ridden in a well modded 7m, but who hasnt? thats why i dont want one.

Isphius

May 30, 2006
long branch
thats also probably one of the most expensive american motors ever. not really worth a swap If you have a zr-1, thats also worth a ton of money. The LS series v8s can make more power anyway without the DOHC. I always wished they would make a 4 valve v8 head, it would still work even with pushrods. That more than doubles your valve area. I still want to put one in a supra!I actually just saw an ls1 powere FC rx7 on rx7club.com, thats also an interesting idea, starting with a car that weighs 1000 lbs less already. And actually now that i think about it, an ls1 is probably the same weight or lighter than the 7m.

c_ronius

1jz 4Runner
Jan 2, 2007
Tampa, FL
www.rsworld.com
Poodles said:
yes, R154 in a 4WD truck is quite possible, it's changing the rear hosuing of the tranny with the 4WD one and bolting it up mostly... after that you can but pretty much anything you want mated to the R154...

Actually, you have to rebuild the 154 with the output shaft of the 4wd tranny, the 2wd and 4wd shafts are different.:icon_bigg

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
carbs don't belong anywhere near a supra... unless you're IJ

If the LT5 kept advancing much like the LS series we'd see some very nasty engines... The northstar is along the same lineage as the LT5, but not tuned for max power...

Spaniard

Banned
Oct 21, 2005
La pearla PR
I think that throwing an American motor in a Supra is the stupidest thing ever. You don't keep the car genuine, sounds stupid, no science to a motor that has way too much displacement...doesn't take rocket science to go fast. But once again, American motor unreliability. How many times have a seen LSx motors fail and fail, and oh yeah...fail some more. Americans cant build motors, though the 7M has it's weakness's that was in the 80's! You take a LSx motor from today versus the 2JZ or 1JZ and that japanese motor will spank american muscle in relaibility. When was the last time you saw LSx motor going 300,000 miles + and still running. Furthermore, what has become of Americans and their lust for going fast only in a straight line? What a waste of car if it has to take turns at 10mph.

Personally, I think it is cheaper and smarter to stay with a JZ series or 7M motor, keeping the car genuine and whole.

I'm just expressing my opinion and not stomping on anyone's feet, just wanted to share my .02 cents.

Syris

Need Rust Repair
Aug 24, 2005
Bryan, OH /Lima, OH
drjonez said:
there is nothing "best" about a carb'd V8 in a 3500 lbs car....
Im not saying its the best overall but it is one of better ways of having a v8 in the supra. I ike v8's and the easiest way to put one in a supra....carb. Yes there is other fab work but when compared to putting a FI v8 is a lot more work. As far as the weight, other muscle cars are around that exact weightl.

Spaniard said:
I think that throwing an American motor in a Supra is the stupidest thing ever. You don't keep the car genuine, sounds stupid, no science to a motor that has way too much displacement...doesn't take rocket science to go fast. But once again, American motor unreliability. How many times have a seen LSx motors fail and fail, and oh yeah...fail some more. Americans cant build motors, though the 7M has it's weakness's that was in the 80's! You take a LSx motor from today versus the 2JZ or 1JZ and that japanese motor will spank american muscle in relaibility. When was the last time you saw LSx motor going 300,000 miles + and still running. Furthermore, what has become of Americans and their lust for going fast only in a straight line? What a waste of car if it has to take turns at 10mph.

Personally, I think it is cheaper and smarter to stay with a JZ series or 7M motor, keeping the car genuine and whole.

I'm just expressing my opinion and not stomping on anyone's feet, just wanted to share my .02 cents.

My opinion is that your 2 cents of a thought isnt even worth that much. The LS engine's are awesome engines, for they can pound for pound throw down the same amount of power a JZ motor can and then some. As far as reliability, they can make that same mile mark, sorry to tell ya the truth. If you keep that ls1 in good care just as you would the JZ it will make it. Im not bashing on the JZ or 7m for they are all good engineering.

You should really take a step down from that high horse and learn that there is great engines besides the jz and 7m

drjonez

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
the motor city
www.4cefed.com
Syris said:
...My opinion is that your 2 cents of a thought isnt even worth that much. The LS engine's are awesome engines, for they can pound for pound throw down the same amount of power a JZ motor can and then some. As far as reliability, they can make that same mile mark, sorry to tell ya the truth. If you keep that ls1 in good care just as you would the JZ it will make it. Im not bashing on the JZ or 7m for they are all good engineering.

You should really take a step down from that high horse and learn that there is great engines besides the jz and 7m

i'll second that....amazingly, the general has some good stuff going on in the LS series....and i'll say it again- LS9 FTW!