AR5 Trans Take Two: The Solstice Solution

Adjuster

Supramania Contributor
The better syncro design would be worth the trouble for sure.

I wonder how easy it would be to change over the "guts" from this trans to the older R154 so you can use the new triple cone syncro's, and keep the cast iron sandwich plate, and correct output shaft housing and our speedo and ABS etc.

Nice work for sure. :)

NashMan

WTF did he just wright ?
Aug 5, 2005
Victoria BC
i really wounder how muhc power it will take and if the gear ratio's are longer make useing 4.30 more usefull on a power full car

dejacky

Jun 12, 2005
"taxus"
limequat,
thank you for your excellent contribution...Excellent work! :love: You're motivating me to try this out with a 1JZ-GTE bellhousing and fit it into a Lexus SC300..you think it could work without shortening shift linkage assembly? (I always wanted the stock shifter to sit a little farther back)

stock 5 speed w58 trans in a lexus sc300:

p458877_1.jpg

Evilempire1.3JZ-GTE

SF what a waste of supras
Jun 22, 2006
SoCal
www.myspace.com
great work.

hmm you could try jaws gear for the drive shaft solution
forget the 7m in the solstice put a 2jzgte with a 1jzgte bell housing in the 2007sky or 2007opel gt lol

hmm then tune the engine up to 1400 hp in that little car lol blow S2K's off the road like dirt.

also since the GM/toyota tranys line up why not go with an aftermarket TREMOC or RICHMOND 6 speed for these guys ? ZF-6 or T-56 6 speed it might also solve the V160/V161 gear ratio issue with the final diff gearing.

limequat

Dissident
Apr 1, 2005
Detroit
dejacky said:
limequat,
thank you for your excellent contribution...Excellent work! :love: You're motivating me to try this out with a 1JZ-GTE bellhousing and fit it into a Lexus SC300..you think it could work without shortening shift linkage assembly? (I always wanted the stock shifter to sit a little farther back)

stock 5 speed w58 trans in a lexus sc300:

Sure, give it a try! Measure about 8 in from your stock location. That's where the shifter will be with a stock solstice trans.

Zazzn

l33t M0derat0r (On some other forum) n00blet here
Apr 1, 2005
Toronto/SF Bay area
limequat said:
The next piece of the puzzle is the front bearing retainer. The Supra retainer allows you to run the GTE pull-type clutch and provides a surface for the throwout bearing to slide on. Again, it's a direct bolt-on to the AR5 case. Thus concludes what it takes to bolt the AR5 to the 7M with the supra clutch.

Next is figuring out the shifter. As mentioned before, the Solstice has crazy mechanism to move the shifter back about 8 inches. This would put it in the glove box in a Supra. There are no off-the-shelf shifters that bolt to Aisin tailhousing and put the shifter in the normal location. A 2WD Colorado transmission may remedy this problem, but I think the shifter is too far forward. So I decided to mount the Supra shifter and housing to the Solstice tail.

First the tail has to come off so you can mount the R154 shift rod actuator thing. See the attachment.

Could you post a pic of the front bearing retainer? PS why couldn't you just use the R154 shift housing?

toyo4life

Supramania Contributor
Oct 8, 2006
Manchester NJ
As far as durability goes Mallet racing is putting LS2's into the Solstice with the stock tranny. It should also be the same trans in the H3 right?

limequat

Dissident
Apr 1, 2005
Detroit
toyo4life said:
As far as durability goes Mallet racing is putting LS2's into the Solstice with the stock tranny. It should also be the same trans in the H3 right?

Correct the H3 also uses the AR5. I was unaware that Mallet retained the AR5 in the V8 Solstice kits! That's 400 lb-ft folks!

Zazzn, I'll check for front bearing retainer pics when I go home tonight. I had to modify the shifter housing because the bolt patterns were different. The Solstice shifter is set back 8" from the R154.

limequat

Dissident
Apr 1, 2005
Detroit
Zazzn, I couldn't find any front bearing retainer pics.

Nashman, the AR5 can be had nearly new for less than the cost of a R154 rebuild. Check car-part.com.

supra90turbo

shaeff is FTMFW!
Mar 30, 2005
MA, 01440
Zazzn: Here's the front bearing retainer. Crappy pic from the GM catalog, but it's the best that I can find :)

sorry for the mass of blank space... stupid cheap programs on my work comp.. lol