AR5 Trans Take Two: The Solstice Solution

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
LS engines are NOT normal SBC's

the LS series was actually built right, the LT engines where good as well, but they aren't nearly the same as the LS series.

EFI is NOT hard people, the tank hes the pump and everything for it, run the fuel lines and wiring, that's it..

Isphius

Supra-less :(
May 30, 2006
long branch
Spaniard said:
I think that throwing an American motor in a Supra is the stupidest thing ever. You don't keep the car genuine, sounds stupid, no science to a motor that has way too much displacement...doesn't take rocket science to go fast. But once again, American motor unreliability. How many times have a seen LSx motors fail and fail, and oh yeah...fail some more. Americans cant build motors, though the 7M has it's weakness's that was in the 80's! You take a LSx motor from today versus the 2JZ or 1JZ and that japanese motor will spank american muscle in relaibility. When was the last time you saw LSx motor going 300,000 miles + and still running. Furthermore, what has become of Americans and their lust for going fast only in a straight line? What a waste of car if it has to take turns at 10mph.

Personally, I think it is cheaper and smarter to stay with a JZ series or 7M motor, keeping the car genuine and whole.

I'm just expressing my opinion and not stomping on anyone's feet, just wanted to share my .02 cents.

Obviously never ridden in an ls2 or even ls1 car, I see. And tell that "americans cant build motors" to my 86 camaro with 260k miles on it with the original engine, and it will still start up EVERY time with no smke, and no mysterious missing fluids. And no, this isnt the 60s anymore, we do build cars that car turn. ?? And its not like the 7m motors are reliable, you gota rememeber the HG problem. When is the last time you saw a factory v8 with a blown head gasket? Not to say i dont love supras or toyota motors, But i hate "americans suck" comments

bountykilla0118

In Pursuit of 500rwhp
Jul 16, 2005
Atlanta GA
Isphius said:
Obviously never ridden in an ls2 or even ls1 car, I see. And tell that "americans cant build motors" to my 86 camaro with 260k miles on it with the original engine, and it will still start up EVERY time with no smke, and no mysterious missing fluids. And no, this isnt the 60s anymore, we do build cars that car turn. ?? And its not like the 7m motors are reliable, you gota rememeber the HG problem. When is the last time you saw a factory v8 with a blown head gasket? Not to say i dont love supras or toyota motors, But i hate "americans suck" comments

I am with you 100%. But I feel american up until recent could not build small 4cyl engines though and sometimes the trannys were weak as well. But my 80 Camero was put through hell and good ol Betsy started up every time. My dad bought her in 95 with 88,000 for 1000 he drove her every other day. Then my brother took her he dropped a 383 stroker and put 150,000 miles on her then i took her I put about 50,000 on her and I drove her hard for no reason. Swapped a small block 400 in her with a turbo 350 tranny and drove her for years without any issues until the front end started to show signs of fatigue..... My 7m hhmmm I have issues on a quarterly basis it seems but I still love her though. I wonder if I could start Betsy up right now since I have not driver her since 2002 hhhhmmmm

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
the new ecotech's are NASTY little engines

GM really did finally wake up and go after some seriously strong engine designs...

threedguru

Self Proclaimed Mechanic
Jun 26, 2007
Texas
Spaniard said:
I think that throwing an American motor in a Supra is the stupidest thing ever. You don't keep the car genuine, sounds stupid, no science to a motor that has way too much displacement...doesn't take rocket science to go fast. But once again, American motor unreliability. How many times have a seen LSx motors fail and fail, and oh yeah...fail some more. Americans cant build motors, though the 7M has it's weakness's that was in the 80's! You take a LSx motor from today versus the 2JZ or 1JZ and that japanese motor will spank american muscle in relaibility. When was the last time you saw LSx motor going 300,000 miles + and still running. Furthermore, what has become of Americans and their lust for going fast only in a straight line? What a waste of car if it has to take turns at 10mph.

Personally, I think it is cheaper and smarter to stay with a JZ series or 7M motor, keeping the car genuine and whole.

I'm just expressing my opinion and not stomping on anyone's feet, just wanted to share my .02 cents.

id like to say to you my friend your a moron, theres more LSx series motors running strong than there are 2j/1j and 7ms together. Do your research please then come back.

Isphius

Supra-less :(
May 30, 2006
long branch
Poodles said:
the new ecotech's are NASTY little engines

GM really did finally wake up and go after some seriously strong engine designs...

They are pretty tough, but they break piston crowns under high boost :( but the lsj (ss/sc motor) has forged internals, just needs some upgraded pistons and it will rock!

bountykilla0118

In Pursuit of 500rwhp
Jul 16, 2005
Atlanta GA
threedguru said:
id like to say to you my friend your a moron, theres more LSx series motors running strong than there are 2j/1j and 7ms together. Do your research please then come back.

I agree with that!! Be nice LOL some people only know whats in their little box that they live in and are ignorant to everything outside of it. Most of us are supra fan boys but there are many cars out there with so many different setups that will perform just as well and some even better ..... We have to be opened minded for example where is that Ford Gt with the twin gt35r setup on stock fuel, ecu and internals? I believe that thing was making 1000+rwhp with minimal lag.

Kai

That Limey Bastard
Staff member
American muscle has its place....but to be honest they're all detuned for longevity and have typically sloppy tolerances. They suck in standard trim, and only when you rebuild and blueprint it do they start to shine....

I still wouldnt want to swap one into a Supra. If i V8'ed it, it'd have to be a UZ engine.

Now back to the transmission subject at hand!