'78 F250 Build

Loki

The Future is Unwritten
Mar 30, 2005
Prince George, B.C.
A bit of an update, got tired of looking at it and put the new brakes/bearings/seals/hubs in the front end. Then figured out it needed a new power steering pump so I bought one of those. Also picked up some 2" wheel spacers so my tires don't rub the leafs anymore. Going to throw my new steering on, my locker in the rear end and trim the fenders and go wheeling and see how long I can keep the D44 together under the front. Someday I'll buy a D60 for it but I can't justify spending that much right now. Well here are some pics.

p1328996_1.jpg

p1328996_2.jpg

p1328996_3.jpg

p1328996_4.jpg

p1328996_5.jpg

Loki

The Future is Unwritten
Mar 30, 2005
Prince George, B.C.
garagefujimoto;1329024 said:
haha typical BC truck

needs a 460 and to be crew cab

Why? I'm perfectly happy with a 429. If anything it needs to be a 550+ci stroker :(

As for the crew cab. I've been thinking of building a 2wd crew bagged with a cummins for my tow rig, hmmm......

FullNelson

Sep 17, 2007
Coastal Georgia
Hows that d44 holding up? All Ive been hearing is not to run more than 35s on them. I guess the 35/42 difference must be just like a tomato/tomatoe thing.

Loki

The Future is Unwritten
Mar 30, 2005
Prince George, B.C.
FullNelson;1406429 said:
Hows that d44 holding up? All Ive been hearing is not to run more than 35s on them. I guess the 35/42 difference must be just like a tomato/tomatoe thing.

I've never wheeled it with the 42's on it, but with the 38s it had before it held up fine. It isn't locked which has probably saved it. Only things I've replaced in it are the spider gears, a ball joint and an axle joint.

Truck is back to being a lawn ornament though. I got an inspection notice on it and don't feel like fixing things on it and I bought a new truck to drive so it really doesn't matter. Also still sort of thinking about selling it.

bigjake34452

Jul 10, 2009
inverness
man thats a sweet truck, i have a 76 F-250 it was my first truck.. love it. i didnt expect to see a tread about a dentside on supramania. lol.

Frankenstien

Mar 2, 2008
Lower Mainland, B.C.
I bought myself a '76 F250 highboy 4x4 back in June. It has a 460, straight pipes out the bed, posi rear end and a 4spd.(I'll take pics if you want to see it) It's been reliable so far, all I've had to replace it a fuel pump. Loki, I'm curious as to where you got your rear disk conversion. It is high on my list of upgrades and I haven't found any info on it.

I am capable of machining everything I need, but the truck is my current daily and I'd rather spend a day swapping brakes than a week or two designing something for it and not having a ride in the meantime.

Loki

The Future is Unwritten
Mar 30, 2005
Prince George, B.C.
Frankenstien;1435988 said:
I bought myself a '76 F250 highboy 4x4 back in June. It has a 460, straight pipes out the bed, posi rear end and a 4spd.(I'll take pics if you want to see it) It's been reliable so far, all I've had to replace it a fuel pump. Loki, I'm curious as to where you got your rear disk conversion. It is high on my list of upgrades and I haven't found any info on it.

I am capable of machining everything I need, but the truck is my current daily and I'd rather spend a day swapping brakes than a week or two designing something for it and not having a ride in the meantime.

I never actually got around to doing the rear disc swap. The way I was going to do it was take everything off the front end, then you re-drill the holes for the caliper mounting and use all the front parts on the rear. Only thing is you lose your ebrake. You can use chevy calipers with ebrakes to keep them. Lots of info on Pirate4x4 if you look.

bigjake34452

Jul 10, 2009
inverness
frankenstein, is the front already disc? to my knowledge highboys had drum brakes all the way around. they shared that, the narrower frame and the gas tank behind the seat like the 67-72 "bumpside" fords.

Frankenstien

Mar 2, 2008
Lower Mainland, B.C.
bigjake34452;1465976 said:
frankenstein, is the front already disc? to my knowledge highboys had drum brakes all the way around. they shared that, the narrower frame and the gas tank behind the seat like the 67-72 "bumpside" fords.

Yes, the front is a disk setup, the 460 is a swap(to my knowledge, was told it was a 429 out of a '70 t-bird) and it has the in-cab gas tank. The truck used to belong to the owner of a wrecking yard. The disk brakes could easily be a swap. The frame does seem kinda narrow, or the engine is just big. Would you happen to know how wide the frame is supposed to be?