'78 F250 Build

SupaMan

Want The Boooooossttttttt
Oct 12, 2006
Cape Coral,Florida
nice truck man! its good to see people acctually have fun with them other than the pansy asses here who just drive them on the road.

Loki

The Future is Unwritten
Mar 30, 2005
Prince George, B.C.
Not much happening yet, haven't felt up to working on it but figured since it was nice and I had today off I'd get some stuff done on it.

I got the dash pretty much back together. Just need to run the grounds for everything, ugh.

p965221_1.jpg

p965221_2.jpg

It also moved under it's own power for the first time since December. This is where it's going to sit till it's back together, it's dryer then where it was sitting before and there is a small patio under it so that'll be nice for working on the rear end.
p965221_3.jpg

I also have to get my steering box ripped out hopefully on Sunday. I ordered a new one and don't want to have to eat the core charge on it :[ Hopefully I'll have my 60 by the end of next month, that's all I'm waiting on right now.

Loki

The Future is Unwritten
Mar 30, 2005
Prince George, B.C.
Finally got the dash all finished up today. I still need to install the senders for the temp and oil pressure, but that won't take long to do. I just don't have the right wrenches to get the stock ones out :(

I am so glad I'm finally done with all that wiring, ugh.

Loki

The Future is Unwritten
Mar 30, 2005
Prince George, B.C.
Haven't done much on the truck, started taking the steering box out but then I broke my ratchet. I should hopefully have that pulled out tomorrow, along with getting the rear diff out of the truck. Hopefully getting that rebuilt very soon.

I'm having a few issues with my dash, the lights won't work so I need to trace that someday soon. Also still need to install the senders.

I'll have a big update on monday or tuesday :D

Loki

The Future is Unwritten
Mar 30, 2005
Prince George, B.C.
Truck won't be on the road for awhile. I've decided to swap out the stock 4:10 gears to 4:88s and lock the front diff when I get it. I'll hopefully have that in a week or so, need to get the new tires mounted so I can sell the old ones. Then just going to work on the brakes and rear disc conversion till I have the tires paid off and then it'll be time to order the gears and locker.

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
^ I was seriously hoping that you were going to regear. Otherwise, that thing would be a dog, and even low gear would be pretty useless.

Looks sick! My bro has a '79 F-150 that he used for a plow truck for several years. It's a 351M, (factory modified to a 400). That thing had balls, but now just sits in the side yard since he bought a '94 F-350. Oh well.

You're going to be able to go so many places being locked at both ends, probably more than you'd want to take a full-bodied truck!

The tires are awesome!

My only problem is with that dash. you need to lay some 'glass down to lift the rear sections on the left and right sides to the level of the gauges to make them look like they sit flush. It'd be super easy, then just paint the 'glass. It'll look so clean, you'll want to fly down to NY and finish my car for me. ;) LOL.

Loki

The Future is Unwritten
Mar 30, 2005
Prince George, B.C.
I was going to run it with the 4:10s and see how it worked, I think I have enough motor to make them work but it would suck. The 4:88s are cheap, so it'll be fine.

It's going to be a beast when it all comes back together, going from open diffs on both ends to locked is going to be sick, I can't wait :D

The dash is getting re-done, I just need to get another one to cut up and make it look better.

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
Making the 4:10's work would certainly suck, and you'd find yourself downshifting all too often, especially on hill climbs, plus, your low speed crawl wouldn't really be all that low speed. (not sure how much you use low gear anyhow, as it seems like more of a mud truck)

It's been said that the addition of only a rear locker is like a 50% increase in traction, so you'll be absolutely amazed at how much traction you'll have. Hooray for manual locking hubs. ;)

I think that with a little fiberglass work on that dash it would look perfectly fine. :)

Loki

The Future is Unwritten
Mar 30, 2005
Prince George, B.C.
shaeff;989136 said:
I think that with a little fiberglass work on that dash it would look perfectly fine. :)

I'm not happy with the holes, the gauges on one side sit higher then the other. I'm going to just get another one, cut out the black part and use some lexan (I'll just spray the back of it black) to mount the gauges too. Then I can move the turn signal arrows and it'll look a lot better then it does now.

This was more of a test to see how it was going to turn out, and get everything working then I'll just move it over to the new one when I get it.

This is a mud truck, we really don't have much around here other then mud. I do use my 4lo a lot, I just can't wait till everything is back together. I really hope I can get that front diff soon. That's really all I'm waiting on to actually start working on it.

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
Sweet. I didn't notice that the gauges were off kilter. My mistake. :) That's a good idea with the lexan/paint.

I wish I had anything around here. There are a few places to go, but they're getting old... :(

I'd love to lock my truck at both ends, but I'm difficult, and want selectable lockers, as right now my truck is also the DD. ;) I'm going ARB.

Loki

The Future is Unwritten
Mar 30, 2005
Prince George, B.C.
shaeff;990447 said:
Sweet. I didn't notice that the gauges were off kilter. My mistake. :) That's a good idea with the lexan/paint.

It's not really that noticable but I notice and it bugs me.

I'd love to lock my truck at both ends, but I'm difficult, and want selectable lockers, as right now my truck is also the DD. ;) I'm going ARB.

My truck is a DD as well, but I'll live with lockers front and back. The only time the front locker is really an issue is in the snow and I'm not sure I'm going to be driving my truck again in the winter so it's not a big deal, and if I do it's getting good winter tires so having it in 4wd won't happen much.

I really wanted to run an ARB in the front but right now I'd rather not spend that much money, I already have over $3k in parts sitting waiting to go in.

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
^ Sounds like my Supra, but change the $3k to like.... 8k. :(