XTD Clutch scam!

PorterzSupra

Oct 25, 2005
Hebron CT
No the XTD with the 6 puck disk does bite very hard, MUCH harder then stock. Yes I will admit it is a stock pressure plate that has been sprayed but it suppose to have stronger springs exc. I had no problem with mine. Even if the pressure plate is "stock" the 6 puck friction plate apparently is what makes it hold more then stock because I know for a fact it holds much harder then stock. I dont really think its a scam even if it is a stock plate because the set does hold much stronger then stock. If it is a stock pressure plate then its the 6 puck doing all the work, I have herd of ppl using this combo before.

Doward

Banned
Jan 11, 2006
Alachua, FL
LOL @ aaron. The set is rated for 460lbs/ft of torque. Has anyone had the set slip under that number?

I'm thinking with a PT67 though, I may need to look for a stronger pressure plate as well, though :(

Jacob

the overkillist
Feb 11, 2007
East Coast USA
bigaaron said:
The target market for XTD is uninformed shoppers who are buying things based on price alone. Since that type of shopper usually can't get a lot of power out of their engine, because all the other mods are sourced out in the same way, it's the purfect crime! :biglaugh:

Sounds like my friend with the NA T.

BTW now his breather filter shot off and pipe literally sprays the engine bay with enough oil to look like a FTW on fire at a burnout contest. I am thinking it has something to do with him getting on it like crazy for 200 miles just after rebuilding. :rolleyes: It pains me everytime I see this MK4 go down over pennies.

Supra60-1

May 29, 2005
Alabama
Reading about more and more of these incidents makes me want to start a class action suit against these fraudulent companies. One of which I was personally ripped off by. There has to be hundreds of people with these same problems that are just blind to the bigger reality. Its a crime and I think there should be some justice...

bobpogoman

May 10, 2006
Quebec, Canada
Supra60-1 said:
Reading about more and more of these incidents makes me want to start a class action suit against these fraudulent companies. One of which I was personally ripped off by. There has to be hundreds of people with these same problems that are just blind to the bigger reality. Its a crime and I think there should be some justice...

damnit im scared now.. lol bought that kit and installed it 1 year ago.. im around 300 hp... its stage 3 with 11 lbs flywheel...

for me it hold the 300 hp easy... grab A LOT its a very good clutch for 300-hp i cant tell for more... im going for a boss series turbo... aiming for 450-500 at the wheels... will get there in about a year.... lets see if it can hold the 450 :D

ForcedTorque

Join the 92 Owners Group
Jul 11, 2005
Satsuma, Alabama, United States
bobpogoman said:
damnit im scared now.. lol bought that kit and installed it 1 year ago.. im around 300 hp... its stage 3 with 11 lbs flywheel...

for me it hold the 300 hp easy... grab A LOT its a very good clutch for 300-hp i cant tell for more... im going for a boss series turbo... aiming for 450-500 at the wheels... will get there in about a year.... lets see if it can hold the 450 :D

From what I remember from all my reading on this clutch.......It's good until you get to about 400HP. After that it's a crapshoot. Several people have used the 6-Puck with a stock PP (knowingly) and said it was a good set up. Mine was great for me at 300HP or less. I picked up 1/2 second on my first 1/8 mile pass with clutch only (no Flywheel). But my new build is hopefully gonna be near 400, so I was too nervous to use it. I got a Centerforce Dual Friction, but I will save the XTD for future use. It only has about 2000 miles on it.

bigaaron

Supramania Contributor
Apr 12, 2005
Pomona, CA
www.driftmotion.com
ForcedTorque said:
From what I remember from all my reading on this clutch.......It's good until you get to about 400HP. After that it's a crapshoot. Several people have used the 6-Puck with a stock PP (knowingly) and said it was a good set up. Mine was great for me at 300HP or less. I picked up 1/2 second on my first 1/8 mile pass with clutch only (no Flywheel). But my new build is hopefully gonna be near 400, so I was too nervous to use it. I got a Centerforce Dual Friction, but I will save the XTD for future use. It only has about 2000 miles on it.

For bpu cars the clutch would probably be ok, the issue I had was they they were lying about the pressure plate being upgraded with a "35% thicker spring". I don't consider red paint to be an "upgrade", and that's the only thing they do to the pressure plate.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
at least that's what cops think of my car...

it would be pretty easy to get them in trouble, buy one of their clutch kits and with a micrometer show the thickness of a stock spring and their spring...

then they'll say it has a 35% stiffer spring, oops, no they don't...

we need more lawyer on the forum LOL

marc3

canadian blood
Jul 19, 2006
quebec,canada
my buddy just bought one of these , on e-bay,for like $350. with the flywheel.
i was skeptical, but he insisted. whatever, right?
so i install it for him, and now he has this bad ass clutch chattering/sliiping.
not only that, he does like a 1000km break-in period, just to be sure it never slips. then he comes to smoke the tires , and BOOM...slippage!!

gilberjj

Friend of Fast
Apr 14, 2006
Tacoma, WA
sooooooo, i just have flywheel. has ANYONE had any probs with the flywheel? I mean, how can they screw up a flywheel. i got my flywheel before any of this came out, and i knew their company was a little shady, but i figured they could do a flywheel right. i doubt its chromoly like they say, but i would hate for my action clutch (which i just ordered, thank you aaron, its cheaper than a hpf bronze) to fuze to a flywheel which can't withstand the heat i will undoubtedly put it through.

s7mgte

Apr 16, 2007
ny
bigaaron said:

well i have ordered this clutch klit on ebay but not have recieved it yet.. i did make payment though.do you think theres anything i can still do. also with the components this clutch really has... how much hp do you think its capable of handling?

Last edited by a moderator:

ForcedTorque

Join the 92 Owners Group
Jul 11, 2005
Satsuma, Alabama, United States
I have seen it posted that it's OK at about 300-350, but if you get anywhere near the rated 450 I'd advise you to have a fun day. I ran mine in a car that was not dyno'd, but probably pretty close to 275-300 with no problems for 2500 miles and several track runs. I loved it at that power. The disc transfers more power than stock, but it seems the pressure plate is the weak point. I just replaced that clutch for my new set up that will be too much power for it. That clutch came out looking brand new. So, if you are 300 or less, it's still money well spent. I picked up 4 tenths in the 1/8 with nothing but this clutch swap (without the flywheel).

7M-fanatic

Banned
Apr 21, 2006
San Antonio, TX
I try to tell people that the XTD/OBX/other chinese junk on chinaBay is nothing but garbage.
And all I get is are things like "Your racist".
And chinaBay closes down my auctions if I mention any of these cheese merchants by name.

I wonder how long it will be before someone has a catastrophic failure of one of their mystery metal billet flywheels, and has his left foot chopped off after it explodes ?

This crap needs to stay in china !
All the rip-off look-alike BOVs,
All the rip-off Look-alike waste gates,
All the engine components, bearings, and gasket sets,
Etc., etc..