XTD Clutch scam!

bigaaron

Supramania Contributor
Apr 12, 2005
Pomona, CA
www.driftmotion.com
Please skip ahead to post #163 for updated information.

We are having clutches made for us by Action Clutch. They make us an upgraded pressure plate that is 40% heavier spring pressure then stock. Recently, someone brought to my attention the they could buy the "same thing" on Ebay for over $200 less. I was REALLY supprised to hear that, because we don't have a lot of margin on ours, and I was wondering if we were just paying way too much, or if it was too good to be true. Since XTD is only about a 45 minute drive from the shop, I went there in person to check it out. He seems to do a lot of business on Ebay, there were about 20 orders boxed up to go out, and since many of them were not taped up, I noticed that he had more then a few 7m-gte clutches to be shipped. At the bottom of a huge stack of Aisin (oem toyota) boxes, I saw a few Action clutch boxes. That was strange, because Action said the do not sell anything to this guy, and they were wondering why he had their boxes in his business. I found out why!

I bought one of his pressure plates to take to Action to test, and to take pics compared to stock. THE XTD PRESSURE PLATE IS A BONE STOCK PRESSURE PLATE, SPRAY PAINTED RED. We had Action put it on their pressure test machine that tests the clamp pressure, and also a stock Aisin Toyota pressure plate. The XTD clutch was actually 100ft/lbs LESS then the other stock unit we tested. His Ebay auction clearly states the XTD pressure plate is "35% thicker heavy duty" spring in it. I measured the XTD and stock springs, they are exactly the same thickness. He is clearly lying, and fooling people into thinking the XTD clutch will handle 35% more, when in fact it is stock. If you remove the XTD sticker, you will see the stock green paint mark underneath :biglaugh: If they were heat treated to increase the spring pressure, that paint would most likely have burned off, and the spring would be discolored.

Also, I looked closely at the XTD 6 puck disk. It looks like a cheap copy of the Action one. If you look at the pics in his Ebay auction at the top it is an ACTION CLUTCH KIT IN THE PICS. The one he actually ships is in the pics at the bottom. Action clutch does use a stock Aisin outer clutch cover, but the rivets are drilled out, and then the spring is upgraded and the clutch is reassembled. Other companies also do this, because Aisin is the only manufacturer of this model clutch.

Here is a link to his auction on Ebay. If you want to be overcharged for a stock pp with cheap copy 6 puck, that's up to you.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/XTD-...tegoryZ33730QQihZ009QQitemZ190106058632QQrdZ1
Notice the first pic on his Ebay auction is an Action Clutch pp with an XTD sticker on it. You can tell because the spring is dark black, and the pp was disassembled before painting. You can see around the inside edge at the top.

Here's what he is actually shipping:
p602684_1.jpg

p602684_2.jpg

Compared to a stock pp:
p602684_3.jpg

The real Action upgraded clutch has a black spring and is painted while it is disassembled. It has a 40% higher pressure spring then stock.
p602684_4.jpg

The real Action 6 puck has a slightly lighter color on the pucks, and has little slots in the center of each puck.
p602684_5.jpg

I really don't have a problem with Ebay, or Chinese made parts, what I do have a BIG problem with is people on Ebay misrepresenting the specs and performance of their parts.

Please skip ahead to post #163 for updated information.

Last edited:

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
How much torque is this clutch and pp suppose to handle? I may go to the track this weekend, but I want a spare clutch to replace my burnt one if I tear it up. I'm hoping not to tear it up, but you never know.

Mr.PFloyd

I am the Super Devil
Jun 22, 2005
Mississauga, Ontario
suprahero said:
How much torque is this clutch and pp suppose to handle? I may go to the track this weekend, but I want a spare clutch to replace my burnt one if I tear it up. I'm hoping not to tear it up, but you never know.
you have a 1jz don't you bro?

:rofl:

AF1JZ

Almost civilian status...
Jun 26, 2006
Fredericksburg, VA
:rant2: Damnit. And to think, I just pulled my tranny off to install the ARP flywheel bolts that I bought from you. I do not want to pull the tranny back off again :cry: . Thanks for letting us know that though.

Honestly Aaron, how long do you think this clutch will last mostly DD and some fun with a bpu 1jz, 935 lightweight flywheel, and jawsgear steel driveshaft?

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
CryoSlash said:
you have a 1jz don't you bro?

:rofl:

Did you say something funny?............................:rolleyes: .................:biglaugh:

The one I've got is only good for 400rwt, but I think the drag radials hurt the clutch more than anything. I know the 550 will be way more than enough for my little biddy cute 1jz...................:biglaugh:

Do I need to be seated to hear the price? Just kidding. I know you guys are as fair as they come, but I'm seated anyways...............;)

Tim

Oct 16, 2006
CA
Damn thats crazy Aaron! It makes me think, because I have an XTD in my 240sx with the 6 puck disk and it really feels like it doesn't grab that hard at all. I think I got ripped off.

935motorsports

Mar 30, 2005
San Diego, CA
That sucks, but it is kind of funny at the same time.

Our stock pressure plate plus 6 puck combo could have been a brand the whole time!!!

Unfortunately this combo does not stand up to any kind of abuse.

bigaaron

Supramania Contributor
Apr 12, 2005
Pomona, CA
www.driftmotion.com
935motorsports said:
That sucks, but it is kind of funny at the same time.

Our stock pressure plate plus 6 puck combo could have been a brand the whole time!!!

Unfortunately this combo does not stand up to any kind of abuse.

:biglaugh: Yeah, the stock pp with 6 puck just seems to cause accellerated pp and flywheel wear, and only handle slightly more hp then stock.

bigaaron

Supramania Contributor
Apr 12, 2005
Pomona, CA
www.driftmotion.com
Tim said:
Damn thats crazy Aaron! It makes me think, because I have an XTD in my 240sx with the 6 puck disk and it really feels like it doesn't grab that hard at all. I think I got ripped off.

The pressure plates he is selling are stock, so the quality is not bad, but we all know if you put a stock pp on a car with a lot more hp then it's going to slip and eventually fail. What really sucks is that a clutch job is not easy, and it's not like you can just easily unbolt and return it.

OneJSupra

I'm a sleeper ...
Feb 9, 2007
Supraland
bigaaron said:
The pressure plates he is selling are stock, so the quality is not bad, but we all know if you put a stock pp on a car with a lot more hp then it's going to slip and eventually fail. What really sucks is that a clutch job is not easy, and it's not like you can just easily unbolt and return it.

Having said that what is the stock clutch system capable of. I am on stock twins with BPU, I have the XTD stage 3 and so far it hasn't given me any signs of problems after 5k miles of dd. It does feel like a stock clutch but with a bit more bite. I do plan on replacing the clutch when I go single with more holding power when the time comes. But good investigation on your part and very informative.

starscream5000

Senior VIP Member
Aug 23, 2006
Hot and Humid, KY
I so wish I had know about this MONTHS ago! I bought mine almost a year ago, glad it's no installed. Well, looks like I'll be selling mine and buying yours Aaron ;).

bigaaron

Supramania Contributor
Apr 12, 2005
Pomona, CA
www.driftmotion.com
I do want to make it clear that the purpose of this thread is to keep people from getting shafted by XTD, rather then to sell our clutch kit. The reason I talked about our kit is because the XTD is an obvious rip-off of it. If you do need a upgraded clutch, we would be happy to sell you one, but I don't want people to think that this is some marketing gimmic we thought up.

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
bigaaron said:
, but I don't want people to think that this is some marketing gimmic we thought up.

We would never give you guys that much credit...................:evil2:

You knows I's just be kidding.

Supracentral

Mar 30, 2005
See folks, this is why we are selective about who we allow here as a vendor. We don't charge vendors for their spot here, but we feel they earn their keep in other ways.

Aaron is displaying the kind of integrity and involvement that makes him a credit to the Supra community.

Aaron, thanks for bringing attention to this.

Doward

Banned
Jan 11, 2006
Alachua, FL
Aaron, awesome job catching that.

Now I do want to say, I snagged an XTD clutch set + 12 lbs flywheel off ebay, for $440 shipped. Why? Because my buddy down south of me has been running a dyno verified 387rwhp on a 57 trim CT26 for about 8 months on one of these. We pulled it 3 weeks ago, due to what he called 'a chattering problem' (which turned out to be the T/O bearing going bad) and the disc has stood up very well to multiple hard launches here @ Gainesville raceway (and on the street)

Not arguing, by any means - just tossing out some more experience with the XTD clutch. If you're pushing over 450 lbs/ft of torque, I'd probably say look elsewhere.