WTF is up with all the MKIIIs getting stolen lately!?!?

Grimsta

Supramania Contributor
May 30, 2007
Santa Rosa, Ca.
Seriously, seems like everytime I log on now theres a thread I'm redirected to about a stolen MKIII.

What I dont quite understand about the most recent one is it said it wasnt running.... so this means the thieves trailered it away?? How does that happen? Baffling!

JDMMA70

Dec 4, 2006
Houston
It is baffling i agree

Well last time it was like this was what? a few years ago MK3's were getting stolen left and right. I want to say it was 04 or 05. Maybe mk3 replacement parts are in high demand on eBay? Most of the time i hear a mk3 getting stolen is either in the West or East coast, and the upper midwest. One reason why i dont want our cars becoming popular. It doesnt help either with people asking how to disable the factory alarm (not that it does much to stop anyone anyways) but still

Warpath

Help me Jeebus!!
Oct 28, 2008
St.Louis
Maybe with the weather getting nicer people are bring them out from winters cold wrath, and increasing the exposer to theft. ::shrug::

-jim

Satan

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
Tampa
This has been on my mind as well and there are 2 directions we are going with our Supras...

1. Prevention - Installed newer 2-way paging alarms with modern features (proximity sensor, glass break, tilt sensor, & a couple of others).
2. GPS - We're installing a separate (from the alarm) component which is very similar to Lo-Jack, in the event that prevention did not work.

If someone defeats these 2, then I dunno what to do. As it is, I also have color/nightvision/motion sensor cameras all-around the house and a hidden recorder. So, if either of them are stolen out my garage, we will hopefully have some footage to help catch the perps.

TomFraser

As long as theives are only stealing because they need a car usually a fuel cut switch, or a starter relay disable will work.

But if they are stealing a MK3 becuase it is a MK3 nothing can really stop them... and putting GPS in the car will work for some theives but most can find it in 10 minutes (power has to come from somewhere)

Warpath

Help me Jeebus!!
Oct 28, 2008
St.Louis
Satan;1297536 said:
This has been on my mind as well and there are 2 directions we are going with our Supras...

1. Prevention - Installed newer 2-way paging alarms with modern features (proximity sensor, glass break, tilt sensor, & a couple of others).
2. GPS - We're installing a separate (from the alarm) component which is very similar to Lo-Jack, in the event that prevention did not work.

If someone defeats these 2, then I dunno what to do. As it is, I also have color/nightvision/motion sensor cameras all-around the house and a hidden recorder. So, if either of them are stolen out my garage, we will hopefully have some footage to help catch the perps.

Maybe putting in a hidden fuel pump kill switch?

Nghty89

Zombie Chicks Are Hot
Mar 26, 2008
7 Cities, VA
Well, the one that was just recently stolen was being built by a personal friend here in Va Beach. What he and I beleive happened was that since the owner of the shop was mad at him and fired him, he towed it and his other vehicles since they were at the shop. Who knows though... Apparently he just found his Jeep on Craigslist, so maybe the shop owner will try to sell the supra too. Shop Owner doesn't have the titles though, so it's a bit illegal. Whether there was a legit reason or not to take the vehicles, I do not know. Not even my friend knows why he was fired, at least not at this moment...

NOTE: The supra does belong to the OP of that stolen thread, but it was up here in Va under the care of the guy I am speaking about. It was nice until they melted a piston *ouch*

Last edited:

OneJSupra

I'm a sleeper ...
Feb 9, 2007
Supraland
No security alarm systems even the high-end ones can prevent your car from being jacked if they really want it.

jugodegolf

Supramania Contributor
Apr 5, 2005
Phoenix,AZ, United States
OneJSupra;1297557 said:
No security alarm systems even the high-end ones can prevent your car from being jacked if they really want it.

:boink:

Satan would like to know more details.

I just parked targa-less in downtown New Orleans for lunch. I must admit I kept looking out the window checking on it.

BrandonW

Jun 25, 2007
N.J.
wow i was just thinking about this grim, and making a thread about it but then i was like nahh because i think we are noticing it more because now when you get on sm it auto brings you to the thread of the stolen car

maybe thats why we are noticing it more, not to say that the theft to our cars hasn't gone up

but yeah it sucks

RazoE

Boobs/Boost, my favorite
Jun 13, 2006
Los Angeles
www.cafepress.com
Guess it started with me last month..

I noticed there was a stolen Supra section a while back, and went to check it out, I noticed there was only one thread (a good thing, relatively speaking), and then I moved on..

When my white car was stolen on Friday, March 13, I was going to post in the general discussion section to get more views, but opted not to, as I didn't want to break any rules, especially on a site like this with so many active members keeping an eye out. Mike received it, and decided to make it a forced view, I was so greatful, especially considering how big this site is. Then the blue one was found stolen on the morning of Sunday March 15, I created another thread, and Mike once again created a forced view, so people nation-wide would be aware.

Luckily I found my car later that day, stereo, my tools, and cologne were gone, but no real damage, especially considering how many rare parts were in it (I figured it would be stripped, which is why I picked up the black one the very next day after it was stolen), also no visible damage to the locks...

We found the blue car a few weeks later, only the stereo missing, locks intact once again, no damage to the ignition, so it seems as if whoever did it had a knowledge of Supras, and used a shaved down key...

I immediately had alarms and kill switches installed on all 3 of my supras, lesson learned...

My heart goes out to those other unforunate members that had their Supras stolen as well, and I am saying this to every member, GET A KILL SWITCH TO YOUR IGNITION, OR STARTER and HIDE it well, and don't tell a single soul about it..

Last edited:

CanadianLurch

Oct 14, 2008
Alberta
I got this new security system about a year ago, and I can leave my Supra running, with my wallet on the dashboard with the targa off and the windows down and no one has tried to steal her yet! I believe the model number was D-Pinscher

Attachments

• Photo 54.jpg
    Photo 54.jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 50

adampecush

Regular Supramaniac
May 11, 2006
Edmonton
CanadianLurch;1297655 said:
I got this new security system about a year ago, and I can leave my Supra running, with my wallet on the dashboard with the targa off and the windows down and no one has tried to steal her yet! I believe the model number was D-Pinscher

nice theft deterrent system!

unfortunately, it is well known that food disarms my Lab model.

Last edited:

Evilempire1.3JZ-GTE

SF what a waste of supras
Jun 22, 2006
SoCal
www.myspace.com
LOL people want to disable factory alarms because it keeps the owner out and lets the thieves in. I couldnt tell you how many times the little micro switch wires come off rendering it useless and going off when the owner unlocks it.

You could have the worlds best alarm & kill switch but it will only maybe stop kids
Proffesionals use
tow_trucks_7.jpg

or even an enclosed trailer with a winch inside of it!

Pageing alarm with keyless entry/shaved handles is best combined with lojack or an added free cell phone plan

put the cellphone in your car and install a mobile visual basic program that reads text messages and when it gets a certain text message title with a code in it have it dial 911 from the phone hidden in your car or even program it to page back the cell GPS or satalite GPS its better for prosecution to get GTA on a criminal record then attempted or vandalizm unlawful entry etc...