Wiring 2jzgte transmission to 7mgte

suprra_girl

7M POWAH! ;)
Mar 30, 2005
Auckland, New Zealand
www.supra.co.nz
So... the 2jz auto's can handle alot more power then the stock 7m a340.

Basically, i want to put one behind my 7m as I am sick to death of 15year old tranmissions that do pathetic driving.

I would ideally like to find a wiring diagram of what wires on the 2j tranny needs so i can splice into the necessary wires on my harness. Also, the one hickup i'm not sure how to fix is the electronic line pressure. How would i do this?

I really hope someone can help me out here :)

jugodegolf

Supramania Contributor
Apr 5, 2005
Phoenix,AZ, United States
suprra_girl;1051345 said:
So... the 2jz auto's can handle alot more power then the stock 7m a340.

Basically, i want to put one behind my 7m as I am sick to death of 15year old tranmissions that do pathetic driving.

I would ideally like to find a wiring diagram of what wires on the 2j tranny needs so i can splice into the necessary wires on my harness. Also, the one hickup i'm not sure how to fix is the electronic line pressure. How would i do this?

I really hope someone can help me out here :)

Suzie, hey there I would just pony up for a tranny rebuild with a better torque converter, unless you know for sure the source of the used tranny.
Just my 2cents.

Im sure dr tweak has the info you need for the 2jz tranny though.

Keros

Canadian Bacon
Mar 16, 2007
Calgary
The 2JZ and the 7M have always had the same automatic transmissions, the A340E.

From my understanding there is no "A340", there's an A340H (Early 90's 4x4's), A340E (RWD cars/trucks) and A340F (late 90's 4x4)

Something is probably wrong with your transmission, because they're all the same transmission. On the upside, you won't have to rewire anything if you want to just replace the transmission with a newer, lower milage one.

Best source I could find that plainly says it is wiki: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_A_transmission#A340E_.2830-40LE.29

suprra_girl

7M POWAH! ;)
Mar 30, 2005
Auckland, New Zealand
www.supra.co.nz
Ok, lets get some things right here.
The two transmissions are not the same. Quite clear by the existence of electric line pressure.
It has been proven time and again here in 400whp minimum cars the 2j trannys hold up, mine died at 280whp.. very sad
Why pay $3500 for a rebuild of mine when a 2j tranny i can pick up for $250 will do the job?
R154's here are not common at all, for those you're looking at about $1500-2000 for one.

SO.... back to the wiring thing please.

bmoss85

Permanently Banned Scammer
Apr 14, 2007
clemmons, nc
im not sure if it applies to supras but when i had 2jz powered gs300, i looked up the trans and at some point they went from a 4 spd to a 5 spd auto trans during the production of the car.

DonS1mpson

Black Supramacist.
Mar 19, 2006
England!
bmoss85;1051849 said:
im not sure if it applies to supras but when i had 2jz powered gs300, i looked up the trans and at some point they went from a 4 spd to a 5 spd auto trans during the production of the car.

I'm pretty sure that was when they went from MK1s to MK2s. Don't think that the transmission used in MK2 was a A340E though.

jugodegolf

Supramania Contributor
Apr 5, 2005
Phoenix,AZ, United States
suprra_girl;1051761 said:
Ok, lets get some things right here.
The two transmissions are not the same. Quite clear by the existence of electric line pressure.
It has been proven time and again here in 400whp minimum cars the 2j trannys hold up, mine died at 280whp.. very sad
Why pay $3500 for a rebuild of mine when a 2j tranny i can pick up for $250 will do the job?
R154's here are not common at all, for those you're looking at about $1500-2000 for one.

SO.... back to the wiring thing please.

Did you try getting in touch with Josh/dr tweak

3500 for a rebuild. Ouch!!!

tlo86

Ninja Editor 'Since 05'
Jul 24, 2005
Colorado
come pick up one of my 2jz autos ;)

best way to get it working is a standalone transmission controller. and this is from dr tweak - never knew they existed but do ;) pm himn he can sell ya one... they are not cheap though :) i was going to use this when i go standalone hehe they are around , 1,000$ i think for the controller

billwert

Sep 25, 2007
Naylor
I thought about this as well. I researched it a little bit but came up with nothing. I believe the swap can be done but you wouldn't have speedometer and something else I can't remember I think ABS. There is a thread floating around somewhere about a guy that tried it. He swapped out some of the internals from the 7M A340 to the 2jz but it didn't work. I just went ahead and went with the 7M A340 and shimmed the shift accumulators and am putting on a tranny cooler. I haven't got it back together yet but I have heard good things about this mod. Most say the key to success on it is to put in kevlar clutches, but i'm not tech savvy enough to do this. So i'm just gonna shim and use the tranny cooler and hope that is holds up to my 270-300whp. til I can get a built auto.

black89t

boost'en down 101
Oct 27, 2007
humboldt, ca
i see r154 for 500 in the for sale section all the time. i think that would be a good change. in my opinion it would make the car a lot more fun to drive.

tlo86

Ninja Editor 'Since 05'
Jul 24, 2005
Colorado
black89t;1052187 said:
i see r154 for 500 in the for sale section all the time. i think that would be a good change. in my opinion it would make the car a lot more fun to drive.

i havent wanted to put a head unit in while ive had my manual heh. i say autos are more fun of a drive :)

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
Keros;1051641 said:
The 2JZ and the 7M have always had the same automatic transmissions, the A340E.

From my understanding there is no "A340", there's an A340H (Early 90's 4x4's), A340E (RWD cars/trucks) and A340F (late 90's 4x4)

Something is probably wrong with your transmission, because they're all the same transmission. On the upside, you won't have to rewire anything if you want to just replace the transmission with a newer, lower milage one.

Best source I could find that plainly says it is wiki: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_A_transmission#A340E_.2830-40LE.29

So very very wrong!

Please DON'T post misinformation if you're not sure of the facts.

JZ uses a 341 Trans it has PWM controlled line pressure and PWM controlled Converter lockup and another PWM solenoid for shift quality.

I run a 341 Valve body in my 340 due to the DBW Throttle I use (No Line Pressure Cable drive)

The ECT can only out put ON/OFF signals and NOT PWM, I use a SSv4 and it's the same ON/OFF as the stock ECT, How I get around this is to feed the ON/OFF to the MoTeC and it outputs the required PWM signal to make it all work.

There's an aftermarket trans controller that can now do PWM it's made by PCS and will do it all.

suprra_girl

7M POWAH! ;)
Mar 30, 2005
Auckland, New Zealand
www.supra.co.nz
Oooh, now that's looking like a winner. I see it mentions it needs a customer supplied sub harness though, do they mean they need engine loom side so they have the standard plugs to plug into the tranny do you think?

I figure I'll just wire it in anyhow. I didn't realise you were running one of these trannys Ian. How is it in comparison to the stock drunk tranny lol
For basically $1500 i can get a 2jz tranny and that unit and it's at least half the price of a rebuild. Sounds good to me :)