wilwood question

spiller

Mar 5, 2008
Australia/Chicago
feel like i've started a thread every day just recenly, but here goes :naughty:

those of you who've done the ARZ wilwood instal (this question concerns the 4 pot front kit):

i've just gone to slide my pads into the calipers and im finding they dont actually fit - there isnt enough of a gap between the rotor surface and the piston itself to squeeze the pad in. this is both for inboard and outboard fitment so its got nothing to do with the caliper not being centered over the rotor.

my thinking is that the pistons need to be pushed back into the caliper, but this is a brand new caliper that's never had any fluid run through it.

any thoughts?

adampecush

Regular Supramaniac
May 11, 2006
Edmonton
are the pistons actually protruding from the calipers?

If they are, and it is too difficult to use your fingers, using pieces of wood to wedge them back would be you best option to minimize any damage to the piston/caliper.

mine were a tight fit, but I was able to get them in without issue.

92nsx

Supramania Contributor
Sep 30, 2005
Clearwater, MN
I have used "C" clamps before with no problems to press back in the pistons. Just use a piece of alum, or what ever you have around so the base of the clap covers both sides of the piston. Then I used a piece of wood on the back side so the clamp didn't scratch the caliper.

spiller

Mar 5, 2008
Australia/Chicago
Yeah the pistons are protruding from the calipers by about 1-2mm. Andy at arz tells me the caliper and pad combo is designed to be used with a 1.25 thick rotor where as this kit has a 1.36 so obviously the calipers have been "pre set" in this arrangent to take the thinner rotor.

spiller

Mar 5, 2008
Australia/Chicago
just losened off the bleeder on the outboard side then and attempted to push the piston back in with a c-clamp - no movement :(

ive got no idea what is going on: i was able to slip the pad into the inboard side but there is too much fricton when turning the rotor by hand (the fit is too tight) and i'm unable to fit the pad into the outboard side at all. so if both sides are too tight, where is the room to move????

dumbo

Supramania Contributor
Jul 16, 2008
Albera, Too Far North
I would phone Andy and get it figured out, he's a good guy. Sounds like you got the wrong rotor:(

EDIT: You can barely get one pad in??? Your certain the pistons are all the way in eh.

spiller

Mar 5, 2008
Australia/Chicago
i would phone him but im in Australia so thats not really possible. have spoken to him over the phone when i was in the states, he's a top guy, very helpful. i think its unlikely that i got the wrong rotor. i have got one pad it but its damn tight (too much friction between the pad and the rotor) and cant get the pad in the other side. pistons are exposed by 1-2mm, as i said im not sure if this is how they are supposed to be or if they need to be pushed back a little. im waiting for an email response from Andy.

spiller

Mar 5, 2008
Australia/Chicago
IJ.;1517430 said:
Snap a pic of the calliper showing the pistons please.

one sec, will go get one...

EDIT: front wheels are back on as i had to roll the car out of the shed to fit the rear coilovers. ill try and get one tomorrow.