Who has the most time under the hood with a 7m?

jetjock

creepy-ass cracka
Jul 11, 2005
Redacted per Title 18 USC Section 798
Not sure what that means but in the off chance it refers to longevity of ownership I bought my car new. That means I've been "boosting" since June 22, 1987. If you're referring to time spent under the hood I'm probably one of the lowest here...

grimreaper

Jul 2, 2008
Dallas
i cant hold a candle to most guys here...

supracentral has been modding them since the early 90's (it would seem from his post with stories from the past ;)) and im sure a few others.

jetjock and his most reliable vehicle, locked it up with no oil and still no issues (unless your hiding something:naughty: from us). Whats the "secret"? Attention to detail, common sense or perhaps a bit of fairy dust at each oil change? Got to be the dust :biglaugh:

tissimo

Stock is boring :(
Apr 5, 2005
Melbourne, FL
You dont want to be under the hood.... you want to be behind the wheel. I would say if you're under the hood a lot.. you're doing it wrong.

jetjock

creepy-ass cracka
Jul 11, 2005
Redacted per Title 18 USC Section 798
grimreaper;1274142 said:
jetjock and his most reliable vehicle, locked it up with no oil and still no issues (unless your hiding something:naughty: from us). Whats the "secret"? Attention to detail, common sense or perhaps a bit of fairy dust at each oil change? Got to be the dust :biglaugh:

Nah, not hiding anything. Just lucky with the oil incident. I rebuilt the engine 40K miles later though. As for reliable it's attention to detail, a proactive inspection and maintenance approach based on experience maintaining aircraft, a mild climate, and probably some good luck thrown in. Having good diagnostic gear helps a lot too, as does having complete control over the car since day one. Negative on the dust...AutoZone was out of stock ;)

USPturbo89

COONASS MAFIA MEMBER
Nov 2, 2008
M-Town Avoyelles parish La.
well i mean like modding it and whatnot... but im just looking for a good expert that i can contact about things you know... but i am still a noob at the supra tear down and build up... but i wnt to learn it all which is why i am taking it slow and steady...

92nsx

Supramania Contributor
Sep 30, 2005
Clearwater, MN
ilovemysupra;1274272 said:
92nsx... dude knows more about supras mainly 7m's than anyone i know...

:biglaugh: That's me. I know my around the 7M pretty well ,but most of my info has came from SM experts, TSRM, & SM it self. But I guess I have been playing with Supra's since I was 17. Now I'm 26, so 9 years of trial and error on the sup ;)

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
I was a bit late to the game after a forced layoff from cars so have been playing catch up ever since.

I break things on a semi regular basis so have spent a LOT of time working with the 7M.

As for Justin's throwaway line "you're doing it wrong" maybe some of us are a little harder on the hardware than others :sarcasm:

ForcedTorque

Join the 92 Owners Group
Jul 11, 2005
Satsuma, Alabama, United States
USPturbo89;1274287 said:
well i mean like modding it and whatnot... but im just looking for a good expert that i can contact about things you know... but i am still a noob at the supra tear down and build up... but i wnt to learn it all which is why i am taking it slow and steady...

Every free minute you have should be spent right here at SM. No 1 person on here is the perfect person to contact every time you do something. Read every post every day, even if it doesn't pertain to you. The knowledge you gain will come back to you when the problem arises. It will arise if you plan to mod the car, trust me. The more you read, the more you realize who knows their stuff, and who has been there. There are probably two handfuls of guys on here I'd trust, no matter what they say. Then there are a couple hundred more of us who know a lot from what we've learned here and from our cars who are here daily just to help people and have fun.

mkiii222

Mar 31, 2005
Troy, MI
11 years with Toyota, 5 with the 7M.

1 year was spent blowing the crap out of a 22RE 85 Celica GTS (should have kept that one and thrown a 7M in it now that I know better)
4 years with a 7AFE 95 Celica (very JJ like as the only things it needed were oil changes, a couple motor mounts, and an alternator - still ran like showroom at 215k)