Where did everyone go?

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
If anything I have been the complete opposite.
When I was younger in college I was not as active here or at least was broke and couldn't do much beyond drive the vehicle.

Now that I have some more $ and time to invest into this vehicle I am doing it right.
My co-workers do not believe how much time I am able to put into the vehicle even with a career and family at home.
You have to be willing to give up all useless television, video games, general lazyness and stay up very late working on the vehicle.
Most people I talk with don't have the self control or motivation to give up such things as TV, social media, drinking, ect..

As time goes on I see less and less interesting old vehicles on the road.
Will be a nice feeling once I am able to daily drive mine again, I see zero MK3's or MK4's on the road around here.
Too many good vehicles out there hiding in garages being neglected.
Cars are meant to be used as intended, not become a trophy that never sees daylight.

Other areas of the country do not match what is happening here, thank goodness.

I think rust is a big player in that where you are. Every time I travel to the midwest or east coast I think it's amazing how new all the cars are. I will never forget my first work trip out of college up to upstate New York. I saw current generation cars with rusted through fenders. That just doesn't happen in CO/AZ - not even to 15 year old cars. It's a totally different population of vehicles on the road.

Piratetip

Far From Maddening Crowds
Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 30, 2005
MKE, WI
Yeah lots of people in the arid states that have no clue how to deal with rust.
They don't realize how easy they have it.

Come work as a mechanic in the rust belt for a few days, lol.
Experience seized bolts, on 4 year old vehicles.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
Pirate, you're exactly right man. Motivation goes a LONG way. Took me two years to get mine to where it is now, and the only time I was playing videogames was when it was too cold to comfortably work out in the garage. The other 8 or so months of the year... figure I was working 15-16 hour days, between my normal job and the Supra.

Results speak for themselves though! :)

Silver MK3

Jan 24, 2011
Madison, AL
First off, I'm glad to see Jeff is starting to take care of the forums now.

I had worried about this site and all it's information when activity here dropped off a couple years ago. Including me. I used to be on here everyday, but I hardly posted anything the last few years. Too busy with other things. Namely, I got a 4Runner and built that and have been enjoying the heck out of it. The Supra has spent a lot of time sitting, but I have no intentions of getting rid of it. I pulled her out back in April for the first time this year, drove her for the day and then parked her again. Since then the first time I drove it was two weeks ago. I'm trying to drive it once or twice a week from here on out, so long as the weather is good and she keeps running good.

As time goes on I see less and less interesting old vehicles on the road.
Will be a nice feeling once I am able to daily drive mine again, I see zero MK3's or MK4's on the road around here.
Too many good vehicles out there hiding in garages being neglected.
Cars are meant to be used as intended, not become a trophy that never sees daylight.

The last part of this is very true, and one of the reasons I'm going to start driving mine more. It's just hard when stuff gets piled up behind the car slowly which means you have to clear that out to even pull the car out of the garage, then the dust starts accumulating on the car and it looks bad, and the 4Runner is so much easier to drive. Just get in it and go. It's a compounding problem you really have to stay on top of.

I also agree with the comments on Tacomaworld. Tacomaworld has a great user interface in my opinion. It's easy to use on a computer, and even on a phone. It's the only forum I post on from my phone. No apps, just through Google Chrome, and it works wonderfully. I don't know if Supramania can be changed to a new more modern interface, or if that would even help traffic here. The difference is Tacomaworld has 170k members, and there were just over 100k MK3s produced starting 31 years ago. MK3s are pretty rare now, especially considering most car owners aren't part of forums. When I first got my MK3 in 2010 I would see one maybe once or twice a week. I knew where the 4-5 I saw frequently were parked either for work or at the owner's house. Now I don't know of any near me, and I've probably seen one in the last 6 months that wasn't mine.

Jeff Lange

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 29, 2005
Calgary, Canada
jefflange.ca
First off, I'm glad to see Jeff is starting to take care of the forums now.

I don't know if Supramania can be changed to a new more modern interface, or if that would even help traffic here.

It can get a more modern interface, and it will be shortly. I think it can help traffic here, but you're right, the number of cars keeps going down. Things like Tacomas and 4Runners are still being made, hard to compete with that, haha. I have some ideas though.

Jeff

SupraMario

I think it was the google
Mar 30, 2005
The Farm
It can get a more modern interface, and it will be shortly. I think it can help traffic here, but you're right, the number of cars keeps going down. Things like Tacomas and 4Runners are still being made, hard to compete with that, haha. I have some ideas though.

Jeff

Sup Jeff, you took over the forums? Mike and Theresa still around?

Sorry for the late reply to you all, Jay, Tony, Jeff, ForcedTq( your on Reddit with me HAH).

Where the hell is Ian!?

I'm actually about to start building and getting mine back on the road again. Wife and I purchased an abandoned farm, and have been over the last 2 years restoring it and turning it into a equine and livestock rescue, so a ton of my money goes into it. Vet/Hay/feed/farrier/etc cost a lot. We currently have 11 horses, 3 pigs, 5 goats, 5 mini cows, 4 cats, a rabbit, and 6 dogs lol, so all my time after work is spent working on the place, I'm almost done building the 2nd barn and then I have 4 more run-ins to build out in the pastures. Lot's and Lot's of work. Good thing is I have a 2k sq ft garage that came with the place, concrete floors and a lift I'll be buying probably next year.

I do hope this place turns around because I do miss everyone and how fun it was back in the day. I'll be keeping this site on my pinned tabs now.

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
What up Mario? Congrats on the huge property. Sounds like a lot of work for sure.
I'm really hoping to get my car started this Saturday. I keep trying to start it and it keeps going kaboom. I think my timing is off. I have my old tune put in the megasquirt but it still won't start. I'm checking the timing and recalibrating everything this weekend.

buckshotglass

I love all your sounds.
Whats up SM!
I'm still around. I also got the site warnings a while back and wondered what was up. I don't know why all the pics in my thread aren't showing up anymore, I didn't make any changes..
I sold my Supras and my Celica. Got a few VW's, a BMW and just recently a Porsche. I guess I have a thing for german stuff.
Hope everyone is doing well!

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
Mario, Mike pokes his head in once in a while, I can't recall the last time I saw Teresa or Ian, unfortunately. Place just isn't quite the same without them, I must admit. Glad to hear you're doing the ranch life. Not really my thing, but I do have a lot of respect for those that can and do, it's both damned hard and honest work.

Jay, how are things looking on the laptop? Any sync issues? Always liked the diagnostic side of Tunerstudio... hardly know what I'm looking at, but it feels welcoming all the same. :)

Buckshot, you moved on from Supras to German cars? I don't think you have a German thing, I think you have a masochist thing... :p

SupraMario

I think it was the google
Mar 30, 2005
The Farm
What up Mario? Congrats on the huge property. Sounds like a lot of work for sure.
I'm really hoping to get my car started this Saturday. I keep trying to start it and it keeps going kaboom. I think my timing is off. I have my old tune put in the megasquirt but it still won't start. I'm checking the timing and recalibrating everything this weekend.

That sucks :( I'm really ready to start tearing mine apart and going single and push it to around 500 to the wheels and drive it once or twice a week to work lol. Sounds like you need a new tune though, as your MAP aren't you? Car should run without anything turbo wise on it lol

Whats up SM!
I'm still around. I also got the site warnings a while back and wondered what was up. I don't know why all the pics in my thread aren't showing up anymore, I didn't make any changes..
I sold my Supras and my Celica. Got a few VW's, a BMW and just recently a Porsche. I guess I have a thing for german stuff.
Hope everyone is doing well!

Bucks HOT Glass....what is up! Pics are probably from photobucket being jackasses, Imgur is the place to dump uploads now. You going to be looking for another Supra any time soon?

You know you could always do a BMW V12 swap into one. lol

Still here.

Sup, your pics are dead. Upload them to Imgur, it handles all of Reddits traffic like a champ, so shit will be around for a good while.

Mario, Mike pokes his head in once in a while, I can't recall the last time I saw Teresa or Ian, unfortunately. Place just isn't quite the same without them, I must admit. Glad to hear you're doing the ranch life. Not really my thing, but I do have a lot of respect for those that can and do, it's both damned hard and honest work.

Well damn, that sucks, was hoping the old ass Aussie was still around lol. And yes Farm life is hard work, Pencil pusher by day, and working on the farm by night lol, hopefully soon it will be just maintenance mode and I can breathe easier when I get home every night.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
TE, you might be right about the Cayenne, but the old vw stuff is pretty forgiving. ;)
Pretty sure old VW's can be fixed MacGuyver style, but your insight about the Cayenne might explain the depreciation I see on those. Every once in a while, I think to myself, if I HAD to have an SUV...

...it'd be a Land Cruiser. :p

Bucks HOT Glass....what is up! Pics are probably from photobucket being jackasses, Imgur is the place to dump uploads now. You going to be looking for another Supra any time soon?

You know you could always do a BMW V12 swap into one. lol

Well damn, that sucks, was hoping the old ass Aussie was still around lol. And yes Farm life is hard work, Pencil pusher by day, and working on the farm by night lol, hopefully soon it will be just maintenance mode and I can breathe easier when I get home every night.

Yeah, Photocucket's greed really boned the internet... I'm really hoping the redesign of SM is photo upload friendly. I am on another forum (Retromags) and they host all their own content, due to a lot of issues with content hosts over the years...

If one were really intent on doing a V12 into a Toyota, they already did the hard work, the 1GZ-FE. There was one on Ebay a while back for $4500. ;)

And yeah, I miss Ian and the rest of the gang too. Hell, part of what guided my build, or at least the limitations of it, was the mentality of, "would Ian think this unnecessarily complicated or weird?" and it served me well.

emiliorescigno

Supramania Contributor
Sep 17, 2006
Woodbury, MN
I still poke around sometimes, but don't have much to add since I sold my Supra (on BaT no less!). I have gotten pretty deep into autocross, and drive an S2000 in "STR class" in the SCCA solo rulebook.

Supras remain the only forum/group of owners that I've ever actually talked with and gotten to know to when I owned the car. All of my other vehicles (Hondas, Subarus, etc.) I've never bothered getting involved. I still have a lot of friends from my Supra days that I'm sure I'll be friends with long into the future. A new Supra doesn't seem in the cards for me however - my "taste" in vehicles has changed quite bit from when I had mine.

Side note though - it's awesome to see Jeff take the reins at SM and try to get it up to date, relevant, and virus-free. I'm sure I'll keep poking in my head in here from time to time. (Oh, and I can probably help a bit when people ask suspension questions. :))