Where did everyone go?

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
I still poke around sometimes, but don't have much to add since I sold my Supra (on BaT no less!). I have gotten pretty deep into autocross, and drive an S2000 in "STR class" in the SCCA solo rulebook.

Supras remain the only forum/group of owners that I've ever actually talked with and gotten to know to when I owned the car. All of my other vehicles (Hondas, Subarus, etc.) I've never bothered getting involved. I still have a lot of friends from my Supra days that I'm sure I'll be friends with long into the future. A new Supra doesn't seem in the cards for me however - my "taste" in vehicles has changed quite bit from when I had mine.
You know, a C6 Z06 would have been a smarter car for me than my Mk3, they fill very similar missions, and yet the Vette would have been done and reliable, out of the gate, for probably half of what I have into my Mk3, and an S2000, as I'm sure you're well aware, is a better Miata.

Yet, here I am, Mk3 in the back of the garage waiting on warmer weather (or me to scrap together money for winter tires), and daily driving a Miata... Clearly I make bad decisions with cars haha. I blame a lot of you for me sticking around the Supra world...

Nothing wrong with variety though! Any regrets on letting the Supra go, or does the Honda satisfy all the fun driving needs?

Te, I'm cautiously optimistic. Awesome truck so far!

I've heard it said that you can buy an ugly Porsche, you can buy a slow Porsche, but the one Porsche you cannot buy is a poorly built one. My limited experience with the brand suggests that is a truism.

SupraMario

I think it was the google
Mar 30, 2005
The Farm
Yeah, Photocucket's greed really boned the internet... I'm really hoping the redesign of SM is photo upload friendly. I am on another forum (Retromags) and they host all their own content, due to a lot of issues with content hosts over the years...

If one were really intent on doing a V12 into a Toyota, they already did the hard work, the 1GZ-FE. There was one on Ebay a while back for $4500. ;)

And yeah, I miss Ian and the rest of the gang too. Hell, part of what guided my build, or at least the limitations of it, was the mentality of, "would Ian think this unnecessarily complicated or weird?" and it served me well.

Issue with hosting your own uploads? Bandwidth (space not so much anymore, as that shit got super super cheap).

What would IJ do? lol.

Mario, Miguel was doing the BMW V-12 in a supra thing for a while, ha.
Te, I'm cautiously optimistic. Awesome truck so far!

I thought I remembered someone on here doing the swap, wasn't sure though if I had just dreamed it up.

emiliorescigno

Supramania Contributor
Sep 17, 2006
Woodbury, MN
Any regrets on letting the Supra go, or does the Honda satisfy all the fun driving needs?

So far, no regrets. It's a relief to not have a car that's *constantly* needing money and attention, for a driving experience that didn't really justify it (namely from a handling/autocross/etc. prospective).

The S2000 is also pretty much the best car I've ever driven, and relatively competitive in its autocross class to boot. My focus has shifted a lot towards improving as a driver versus "building" up a car; I could expand on this more, but I feel like I'm derailing the thread enough already. :cool:

Jeff Lange

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 29, 2005
Calgary, Canada
jefflange.ca
My goal is for the new forum to be much more content/media/photo-friendly, however as was stated, storage can be a concern for sure. As it stands, I don't think it would be too big of a deal for a while; at some point we may need to consider other hosting, but the forum isn't busy enough for that to be a big concern for quite some time.

More work will be done on this in a few weeks. Life is too busy right now to do much more than tinker with the new software.

Jeff

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
Issue with hosting your own uploads? Bandwidth (space not so much anymore, as that shit got super super cheap).

What would IJ do? lol.

I thought I remembered someone on here doing the swap, wasn't sure though if I had just dreamed it up.
Perhaps I'm a bit technically challenged, but I wouldn't know where to look for hosting anymore. I'm not going to leave a computer on 24/7 to host some pictures, just not very economical. Plus, our max upload speed for the internet connection I can get is a joke. We're talking something like 800kbps. Given the size of pictures that I take, you'd be reliving the dark ages of 56k all over again.

WWIJD indeed. Hence I ended up with a dry sump 1j, because I never gave much thought as to why it is the only one in the world... apparently everyone else was smart enough to start with the 2j. :p

As for the V12 swap, someone on here was swapping a 1GZ into a Mk2. Not sure who, but I believe they were from Australia, because, really, where else would such a crazy idea come from?

So far, no regrets. It's a relief to not have a car that's *constantly* needing money and attention, for a driving experience that didn't really justify it (namely from a handling/autocross/etc. prospective).

The S2000 is also pretty much the best car I've ever driven, and relatively competitive in its autocross class to boot. My focus has shifted a lot towards improving as a driver versus "building" up a car; I could expand on this more, but I feel like I'm derailing the thread enough already. :cool:
Totally understand what you mean. I daily a Miata, and while the only mods to it (before the lift, but that's a different story entirely), are an intake and wheels / tires, there are many places where it is a much faster car than the Supra, despite having about 1/5 the power, and 360mm (combined) less contact patch width.

I love that about the S2000, that while they CAN be made better, they're a damn fine tool to start with for performance driving. Autocross is a new love of mine, starting earlier this year. Supra may not be the most competitive, but it is so much fun to drive that I don't care. I think once I get the driver mod sorted out, it has a chance to be somewhat competitive. It'll probably never be top rung, but I'm ok with that, as it is meant to be a road race car anyway. Let it stretch its legs, and I doubt many of the cars I've been cone competing with will really stand a chance.

Weird as this might sound, I tried to make the Supra as much like a Miata as possible, and it has worked out fairly well. Miatas can be thrown around, driven with the pedals and it is a LOT of fun, my Supra ended up with a very similar character, especially once I got the power steering sorted. :) Still, if the day comes that a nice blue on blue AP2 happens to be in the same room with me when I have disposable income to throw at it... an S2000 might be coming home.

My goal is for the new forum to be much more content/media/photo-friendly, however as was stated, storage can be a concern for sure. As it stands, I don't think it would be too big of a deal for a while; at some point we may need to consider other hosting, but the forum isn't busy enough for that to be a big concern for quite some time.

Jeff

Jeff, logistically speaking, would it be reasonable to host our build thread pictures here on SM? Or should we try to sort out other options on our own?

I'm considering putting my build threads into video format and uploading them to my youtube. I think that has a far lesser chance of being destroyed by yet another photo hosting site going kaput.

a7mgerunner

Aug 17, 2017
olympia WA
Been here on and off for a few years now when I have to do some research.
Trying now to be a part of everything but it does seem a lil dead here now idk.