Where did everyone go?

SupraMario

I think it was the google
Mar 30, 2005
The Farm
I haven't been around in a long ass time, but shit...this site seems dead :(

Where is everyone? Did the supra game kinda die? or did the forums just kinda end because of social media sites?

I miss the good ol' days of SM.

plaaya69

87T Supra
Nov 18, 2006
Lake County, IL
Hey Mario, Yes its been kinda dead unfortunately. I remember the old days when almost all profiles had the green "online" light up next to their name and you can get a response within a few minutes for most questions or even a post in the "item wanted" section. SF has lot of activity though but I personally like SM better.

Piratetip

Far From Maddening Crowds
Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 30, 2005
MKE, WI
Still here.
Still making parts.

Noticed especially the last few weeks, really has been dead here.

Piratetip

Far From Maddening Crowds
Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 30, 2005
MKE, WI
I feel like the only thing I am missing from social media MKIII groups is the FS parts.

Glad I spend zero time on those sites otherwise, epic waste of time.

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
I think Facebook has really been the reason. SM traffic has really died since the redirect and spam stuff started a few years back. Whether it's google's fault or not, it's taken a toll on SM it seems. Now the MK3 section of SF has equal or more traffic, which is a shame.

I still check SM first on a semi-daily basis, but there's just nothing going on.

On the plus side... Facebook has adopted most the shit-posts. So there's that...

TONY!

Habitual Supra Killer
Mar 30, 2005
Tonyland
What's up, SupraMario?!

I actually asked that question to one of my old SM/SF friends recently; yeah, social media took a bite out of forums.
Personally, I think social media is too invasive: FB actually asked me for government ID to stay on.
What if FB is actually a way for the government to spy on you and know how you think and feel about every issue?
The thing is, people just offer up so much info: where they are, what they do, when they do it....just so unwise to disclose so much!
I'm with you, I do like the old forums.
I'm also a big fan of DIY, so I need forums for possible support; a great lifeline to have.
Currently, I don't have a Supra, but may be needing to do some engine work on my Passat...so I'm on the Passat forums.
The Supras (I had 2 of them) will always be very special to me and other cars just aren't so special to me.
And as far as SM and SF, I've learned so much from those forums--not just about cars, but how to think better and also...some interpersonal skills as well.
I have the old school crew to thank for that elevation to my thinking. heheheh
The old Supra crew....to me, they are like how others see their high school class mates. :)

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Sold the Supra, other forums, real life, etc...

Facebook groups have their positives, but definitely their negatives. No real way to search for info like the forums so you end up having the same question over and over.

jdm-rhd

Jan 19, 2012
orbiting caprica
fb/social media have hit a lot of the forums...not just this place. i'm on several car, guitar/music forums and they all have threads like this.

ricekillers is shut down, texassupras and supraforumz are no longer around anymore.

funny thing is i just picked up my first mkiii (currenly own a mkiv and had one previously) and was hoping to get some help with my new build...

Last edited:

Supra28

Supramanian
Aug 17, 2006
Columbus, OH/Kansas
I'm still here and also check in almost daily. Crazy that some of the members on the FB group don't even know that SM even exists. Smh. I no longer have a Supra but will, when the right one shows up. I still get on here and follow builds closely. I actually use the notepad to mark what pages I've left off on the builds I follow.

Speaking of builds, what happen to buckshotglass? Kwnate's 800hp 7M? Bluechulappa (spelling?)? CajunKen? Just to name a few. I have a list of almost 50 builds I've been following throughout the years and every time I get on I always hope there'd be an update on those builds lol.

KenHenderson

Oct 31, 2015
SoCali
I'm here almost every day. I'm not a long-term member but joined when my MKIII search got serious and actually found the car I bought on this site. I'm not on FB, or any other social media site for that matter. I own five Supras, 3 MKIVs, one MKIII and one MKII, so I spend my time on Supraforums, SM and celicasupra.com.

I have to say, though, that site activity has declined noticeably during my time as a member. Even so, I conducted the vast majority of my MKIII due diligence search on SM. I'm not the world's best searcher, but SM threads on BHGs and the proper way to fix, or prevent, them were of significant value to me, as was information regarding installing my HKS VPC/GCC combo on my '91 and a bunch of other related topics (go here for the details: http://www.supramania.com/forums/sh...time!-Finally-found-a-mkiii-meet-crimson-tide).

I'm a mod on Supraforums and, sometimes, it seems like the mod team is talking only to one another, with many, many members having migrated to FB. Still, if a guy has a technical question, or a build thread in progress, the forums are the venues of choice. Celicasupra.com is suffering as well, but maybe not to the degree of SM and SF (with SM suffering the worst, IMO). Lots of active build threads there and the typical cs.com member does not appear to be as attracted to FB as the SM and SF members.

Ken.

emiliorescigno

Supramania Contributor
Sep 17, 2006
Woodbury, MN
I barely browse here anymore. Not much more information to garner, I guess. I finished my Supra (though I'm thinking of selling it soon), bought an S2000 that gets most of my attention, and most of the Supra people I talk to are local. I'm part of Supra FB groups, but never really view them.

I'll go update my "build" thread I guess. :1zhelp:

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
What's up Mario? I'm not on any other social sites, I just work all the time. When I get home at night, I practice softball with my youngest daughter and then eat and go to sleep......wake up and repeat.
I'm slowly working on my supra. I've got my engine in but I don't have everything hooked up yet. I can't wait to get it all going. I ordered a 6466 for it yesterday. Should be a lot of fun once it's finished.

TONY!

Habitual Supra Killer
Mar 30, 2005
Tonyland
I actually stop by once in a blue moon to look at political discussions or opinions / insights.
Being that I kind of know some people here, that makes it different than reading a political opinion from a complete stranger.
Before I had any interest in political topics, I remember DreamerTheresa's stance on some religions. I have to say, she was years ahead of me but I am enlightened now as to what organized religion is.
I once read a post by another member (maybe I should leave his name out in case I don't perfectly restate what he said) and how laws are made by the capabilities of the weakest link...yeah, that's how they do it, isn't it...a world made because of the harms that can come from the dumbest or least capable people...makes me think how much I'd like to live in a world that was made for the smarter, more capable, and honest and decent people.

And then there are other views that may be less intellectually honest and more propaganda like; and other postings that are good too.
Some times I wonder if I should post some things that took me some time to realize that many people don't seem to understand...
I do know that the off topic forum is set up for the thick skinned people and thin skinned people are properly warned beforehand. heheheh

7MGTEsup

Formerly 'Down but not out'
Jun 14, 2005
England
I have noticed all forums that I used to frequent are now pretty dead. For this forum it seems like it must have been a recent thing as if you look at the whats going on bit at the bottom there were 597 people online on 31st August 2015 so peak traffic was only 2 years ago. Seems like lots of guests about as currently only 3 members online and 126 guests.