What's The Dumbest Thing A Car Manufacture Has Done?

IBoughtASupra

Mar 10, 2009
Queens, NY
So I was trying to figure out why a 2002 Sebring's A/C would not function. The A/C would not work, but after checking the continuity of all the wires I knew something had to be bad. The compressor relay had power and when jumped, the compressor would come on. The switches were replaced by a different shop by the previous owner according to the old records our customer had.

The customer tells us, "press the brake pedal and the A/C works and check the brake lights too because they stopped working."

I was like "WTF?" Sure enough, the compressor works and as long as you have your foot on the pedal and you'll be as cool as the other side of the pillow.

I went to AllData to get the diagrams and guess what, the A/C circuit is tied into the brake lights. Yes, the same circuit that has the brake pedal switch, has the A/C signal tied into it.

I checked out the brake circuit as the lights did not work and the bulbs were good and saw the fuse was blown. Okay, so I got a new fuse and put it in. As soon as I put the fuse in, the A/C compressor goes to work. For shits and giggles, I took the fuse out, sure enough, the A/C compressor switched off.

I know circuits are mixed into each all the time but the brake circuit into the A/C circuit, come on.

Seriously Chrysler, WTF were you guys thinking. :ugh:

kotu100

Nov 23, 2006
Easton, Ma
Some wiring for the brakes in the Neon Srt-4 runs right under where the clutch pedal hits the floor, after 50k miles mine wore thru some insulation in the wires cauing it to short and blow my taillight fuse sometimes when i shifted.
It drove me crazy for a couple weeks trying to find out what it was. One day i had my back seats folded down (can see the 3rd brake light in the trunk) and i was backing up a hill from a stop, i turned around hit the brakes and hit the clutch to put it in reverse... BOOM the brake light fuse blew again.
Zip tied the wires up outta the way.

IBoughtASupra

Mar 10, 2009
Queens, NY
bioskyline;1835841 said:
to drive us nuts when it stops working of course

kotu100;1835845 said:
http://www.cygnusx1.net/Supra/Library/TEWD/MK3/manual.aspx?S=Main&P=129

"2-ground : approx 12 volts with light control sw at tail or head position (signal of dim indication)"

Really, the clock dims? I have never paid attention to that, probably because my super bright cluster. LOL

onemancrew;1835843 said:
Not a bad idea actually, I guess Toyota decided to use the clock as a taillight check light light as well.. LOL

That would be the case but we have the lamp light for that which annoys me as everytime I see it, I check all the lights and everything is good. -__-

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
Well, there's always the old deathtraps... like the Ford Pinto, where if you get hit in the rear, the doors jamb and the fuel tank ruptures into the passenger cabin, where there are plenty of live wires to cause a short / spark.

I drove one of those for years.

Jeff Lange

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 29, 2005
Calgary, Canada
jefflange.ca
The clock is tied into the tail fuse, not the brake lights. The tail fuse is for the tail lights and illumination, which come on at the same time, the clock dims when the interior illumination comes on, so that it's not as bright at night.

Makes perfect sense, lol.

Jeff

benchwarmer

Straight Cougar
Aug 2, 2007
Lancaster, CA
Buick built the thermostat into the waterneck on the Lacrosse. Changing the thermostat is now a 2-hour job and the thermostat costs $90.

Jeff Lange

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 29, 2005
Calgary, Canada
jefflange.ca
Quite a few newer Toyota models have the thermostat built into the water neck, though it doesn't increase the time it takes to change it. It's a bit more expensive, but the water neck is typically plastic now.

Jeff

mkiiichip

Sep 10, 2007
WI
I had an 09 or newer corolla with a CEL for some cruse control codes, and it ended up being a partially unplugged tail light. Luckily there is a TSB on it, that I found before wasting to much time. I never looked into how or why, but if it comes up again I just may have to.

IBoughtASupra

Mar 10, 2009
Queens, NY
benchwarmer;1835921 said:
Buick built the thermostat into the waterneck on the Lacrosse. Changing the thermostat is now a 2-hour job and the thermostat costs $90.

I despise the Northstar 32V, that motor is super hard to work on.

IBoughtASupra

Mar 10, 2009
Queens, NY
mkiiichip;1835961 said:
I had an 09 or newer corolla with a CEL for some cruse control codes, and it ended up being a partially unplugged tail light. Luckily there is a TSB on it, that I found before wasting to much time. I never looked into how or why, but if it comes up again I just may have to.

I know some circuit are tied into for a reason, so since the cruise control feature shuts off with a touch of the brake pedal, maybe it was tied into the brake pedal switch?

:dunno:

Would be nice to see the diagram.

veedubin

Official SM Decals
bioskyline;1836193 said:
gotta love replacing the starter on a northstar :D

Never has there been a more satanic alter built than the northstar engine. Lucifer himself was at the head of the table of engineers that designed that thing.
They are so bad that at the auto auction I worked for, we had special procedures to test their integrity. Idle for 1 hour, drive for 10 minutes, shut off for 5 minutes, restart and hold idle at 2200 rpm for 5 minutes. If a northstar has head gasket issues, coil issues, sensor issues, they will show up rather quick this way. I had a HG go on an XLR with less than 1500 miles. Yea and starter under the intake Mani....... someone should have be killed for this motor.

Done ranting. Thank you :D

Sent from my LG-P504 using Tapatalk 2

IBoughtASupra

Mar 10, 2009
Queens, NY
bioskyline;1836193 said:
gotta love replacing the starter on a northstar :D

veedubin;1836202 said:
Never has there been a more satanic alter built than the northstar engine. Lucifer himself was at the head of the table of engineers that designed that thing.
They are so bad that at the auto auction I worked for, we had special procedures to test their integrity. Idle for 1 hour, drive for 10 minutes, shut off for 5 minutes, restart and hold idle at 2200 rpm for 5 minutes. If a northstar has head gasket issues, coil issues, sensor issues, they will show up rather quick this way. I had a HG go on an XLR with less than 1500 miles. Yea and starter under the intake Mani....... someone should have be killed for this motor.

Done ranting. Thank you :D

Sent from my LG-P504 using Tapatalk 2

I agree with both of you. That has to be a horrible motor. I did the alternator on it, not as bad but the radiator had to come out because it is so crammed. The engine temperature sensor is also a fun one. :ugh: