What did you do to your supra today? Pics

miekedmr

mkiii in hibernation
Jul 12, 2005
Upstate NY
Grandavi;2043598 said:

Those look just like stock - bonded to a sleeve which is pressed in, which means they wouldn't have the problem the ES one does.
I wonder if they're stiffer rubber than stock or just designed to be oem replacements?
I didn't know they existed... it was a few years ago I was shopping for bushings and got the ES set - maybe they became available more recently than that?

Grandavi

Sep 25, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
I just found those searching. I will be using ES for now, but checking them regularly. I think I may order a set of those bushings and use them if the ES start to fail or work odd. How are your ES bushings holding up?

miekedmr

mkiii in hibernation
Jul 12, 2005
Upstate NY
Grandavi;2043921 said:
I just found those searching. I will be using ES for now, but checking them regularly. I think I may order a set of those bushings and use them if the ES start to fail or work odd. How are your ES bushings holding up?

I haven't installed and driven on mine yet, sorry... I did install some of the rear ones into my last rust-heap supra, but I never even got it out on the road before buying my current car, and I haven't swapped any of them into the new one yet.

mk3racer

Mar 5, 2009
Northern Virginia
I don't think these bushings provide the answer.
I faced the same problem as I started tracking my car regularly with NASA in HPDE events with ES LFA bushings.
The solution I came up with consists of custom made Aluminum rings that fit into the ES bushing after milling the bushing. I ran several sessions without such failure so I know it worked for me.
I will send pictures and possibly video shortly to show you these rings.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Silver MK3

Jan 24, 2011
Madison, AL
Today I stopped by a car show/meet on my way home. I was the only Supra there. There was a MK2 Celica Supra too, at least I think it was the Supra version, it had a 2jzge in it, and was pretty rough on the outisde...

On my way out a guy on a Harley pulled up next to me and said he had an 87 just like mine when they were new and whishes he had never sold it. He said "I haven't seen one of these in forever, I used to have an 87 just like this that I bought new, she was a cream to drive". I love getting compliments on my car and hearing people's stories about them.

Grandavi

Sep 25, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
mk3racer;2044061 said:
I faced the same problem as I started tracking my car regularly with NASA in HPDE events with ES LFA bushings.
The solution I came up with consists of custom made Aluminum rings that fit into the ES bushing after milling the bushing. I ran several sessions without such failure so I know it worked for me.
I will send pictures and possibly video shortly to show you these rings.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

New bushings and all the other bits and pieces installed. Have to get an alignment now.

The KW Swaybars are amazing (of course.. I have no real benchmark to look at... ).
Highway curves ect.. no body roll, no under/over steer issues either. Car feels so much safer compared to the stock.

At this point, the two things I think a MK3 need above all other upgrades is 3" exhaust and now... swaybars.

What's totally strange is how I can't for the life of me find the KW swaybars online... only White and Tanabe...

miekedmr

mkiii in hibernation
Jul 12, 2005
Upstate NY
mk3racer;2044061 said:

Why not? They look like they're designed like stock with a bonded sleeve that wont allow the LCA to shift on them, which is the root of this problem as I understood it.

akito

Keep Laughing.You're Next
Jul 31, 2006
Springfield/Va
Yep, even with stock suspensions, upgraded swaybars will dramatically improved handling of the car. How do you like the ES bushings so far? Assuming you're going to keep them? I didn't know kw made swaybars for our car, good stuff!

Grandavi

Sep 25, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
The ES bushings and the "scary" YouTube video do have done differences. Why they fail can be more than just the fact they aren't bonded. There are three sizes of pins. Use the wrong size... Failure. That video, the guys got a huge gap. Mine are snug (will put up some photos later today). Only way mine would push past that I can see is if the urethane fails.

There may be a problem with friction on the sides of the bushing later on, but I will be watching for that. So far they look and feel good. All in all, I'm happy with all of it, but this is day one.

How are these supposed to "Push past" on harsh conditions?

ES BUSHING PICS:

IMG_1293.jpg

IMG_1294.jpg

IMG_1295.jpg

IMG_1296.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_1293.jpg
    IMG_1293.jpg
    169.7 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:

Doat

Feb 6, 2012
Houston, TX
I need to replace the bushings on my car soon but I don't want to go with Poly bushings for a stiffer ride. Is there anyway we can still get OEM or something like it?

I was sent a picture of my painted front lip as a sneak peak for my car being repaired from the front end collision, she won't be an ugly duckling anymore.
11117768_10204192814842762_582160094_n.jpg

Grandavi

Sep 25, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Hybrid;2044328 said:
Here we go,

Availability
Note: At last check only, subject to change at any time!

Green = Japan Only (via Amayama)
Blue = USA Only (via Curt @ Elmhurst Toyota)
Purple= Available USA & Japan
Red = Discontinued/NLA

Front

48610-19015 ARM ASSY, FRONT SUSPENSION UPPER, RH
48630-19015 ARM ASSY, FRONT SUSPENSION, UPPER LH
48068-14070 ARM SUB-ASSY, FRONT SUSPENSION, LOWER NO.1 RH
48069-14070 ARM SUB-ASSY, FRONT SUSPENSION, LOWER NO.1 LH
43330-19057 JOINT ASSEMBLY, LOWER BALL
48815-24040 BUSH, FRONT STABILIZER BAR, NO.1
48820-24010 LINK ASSY, FRONT STABILIZER
45619-14020 COVER, KNUCKLE STOPPER
45516-14021 GROMMET, STEERING RACK HOUSING, NO.1
45517-24020 GROMMET, STEERING RACK HOUSING, NO.2

Rear

42210-14010 BUSH ASSY, LOWER BALL
48702-14030 BUSH SUB-ASSY, UPPER CONTROL ARM
48725-14040 BUSH, LOWER CONTROL ARM
48725-14020 BUSH, REAR SUSPENSION ARM, NO.2
48725-14030 BUSH, STRUT ROD
48725-14010 BUSH, REAR SUSPENSION ARM
48818-14040 BUSH, STABILIZER(FOR REAR)
48830-14040 LINK ASSY, REAR STABILIZER

For those of you who like pictures... I made some of these up (I just put his info on my pics)
I find it easier to know what your looking at sometimes.

It may help :D

Toyota_MA70_Suspension_Bushings.jpg

Oct 11, 2005
Thousand Oaks, CA
Grandavi;2044234 said:
How are these supposed to "Push past" on harsh conditions?

Think about the fact that the full braking force is being loaded onto the out lips of those red bushings. which are squeezed between the LCA eye and frame. So several tons of force on a sliver of polyurethane. Now image the arm actually moves due to a bump or other road imperfection, then that thin sliver of polyurethane is now being sheared, and will shear right off.

Its not theoretical, it is the reason why the OEM bushings are non replaceable. Its just a matter of time. No sense being in denial.

Grandavi

Sep 25, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Not in denial, I can see a couple of problems with them and will be watching them closely. Simple really, now it is a msintenance list item. If it does start being a problem, then I fix it. As it stands, they are perfectly fine for now, and I don't see how anything catastrophic would happen upon failure. So it won't be a worry item.

I have been trying to find the modification thread that was done with custom aluminum fittings. I see mention of it, but no description.

Unless my LCAs fail, i will run as is. If they start showing signs of damage, I will make a pretty detailed thread about it in the suspension area, so others can see.

Anyone here running the ES bushings that have had problems?

din904

Oct 25, 2010
Jacksonvile,FL.
I've been running es bushings for about 8 years bushing still look new no signs of movement. That video shows a supra with a subframe that's in horrible shape besides the rust holes look at the gaps between the frame and the bushing ends they are not that wide which would allow movement in the first place also some people not knowing what they're doing actually lube the back side of the bushing. Im sure he had multiple issues going on with his front end causing this problem! Es bushing have been around for a long time if that was the case you would have heard of more people having problems with them. Grandavi don't worry about it and enjoy your car.

Grandavi

Sep 25, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Thank you. Just from looking I guessed I would have to really thrash the car to damage them.

I put maybe 5000 km on my car in a year so I have a very OCD maintenance schedule. It will get checked yearly like everything else.

Sad thing is, with all the improper parts that have given me trouble, I think my head gasket may be going. 1.2 cometic HG With ARP head studs. Did an combustion gas test and she turned a bit green. No sign of coolant in the oil (or vice versa) but... Back in the shop she goes.

Sigh