What did you do to your supra today? Pics

atmperformance

Sep 17, 2013
San jose
cleared up my code 52 this weekendre-wiring my knock sensors and now have code 11 Yay old wiring. I do have a spare harness i wanted to fix up but it might go in the car sooner than planned because...
I ordered a RC550cc injectors and i want a bigger turbo
I've been flip flopping on turbos for some time now and I feel like settling on GTX3582r, I've been shopping around and so far i've found them for just over $2100 with the T4 82 A/R housing i want. the 550s would support this turbo at a street boost level of 1 bar but i'd need to step up to 680s if i want to reach my 500 goal.

Chris_87_Turbo

Nov 5, 2013
Princeton, TX
din904;2009772 said:
Never heard of such a thing on that theory it won't stay in the engine long enough to heat up!

Mine seems to actually take longer to warm up to temp and run hotter (not overheating but hotter than usual) without the tstat. It appeared to over heat one time but temperatures outside for triple digit texas summer.

Chris

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ImperfectSupra

May 19, 2007
Virginia Beach
Janch;2009702 said:
Ok i understand but i feel that there is no flow at all. Because fluid in radiator is cold but thise 6 cylinder tubes gets so hot that cant hold my hand on them. At the same time engine temp gauge was just 1/4 rised (usually i had it @ 1/2 )

Any ideas?

my radiator was clogged up pretty bad and prevented the fluid to flow. The gauge didnt show much of a temperature, always staying low. I drained the engine and radiator, then filled up the system drove it into it heated up, let it cool then flush again, then I filled up the system with a radiator flush, and drove it like that for a week. Then drained filled , drove it, drained it and filled it with distilled water and coolant.

now the temperature gauge would show normal operation temperature much faster. If I keep the radiator cap open, start the engine to let it warm up, I can actually see the fluid move in the radiator but before that it would not moving at all and looked like it was brown oiled coolant.

Janch;2009702 said:
Ok i understand but i feel that there is no flow at all. Because fluid in radiator is cold but thise 6 cylinder tubes gets so hot that cant hold my hand on them. At the same time engine temp gauge was just 1/4 rised (usually i had it @ 1/2 )

Any ideas?

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

ImperfectSupra

May 19, 2007
Virginia Beach
Also try to run your heat on the highest setting to flush your heater core. If its jot where youre from then uou migjt have to let the car idle with the windows open for an hour at a time for a few day after you add the radiator flush

Janch

Jul 23, 2012
Riga
I DROVE IT again yipiii yeeyyyy :)

still idles like sh*t but under load its smooth and is not missing single cylinder. so im down to hunt for bad vacuum hoses.

I did remove T-stat - anyways after changing all the fluids and flushing the engine its cooler now and oil pressure is much higher. oh and i did reconnect (i think its) power steering speed sensor (2pin white wire) and now my streering wheel is lighter that ever before. so today im very happy.
still not shure if radiator hose should be that hard but will check other supra hoses on supra meet after 4 days.

Grandavi

Sep 25, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
The thermostat is generally used to allow your engine to get to proper operating temperature quicker. It's kind of important... Because in certain cases it will never reach proper operating temperature which is where the engine functions optimally. It won't cause an overheat situation unless it's stuck closed or malfunctioning which is pretty rare but can happen. I personally wouldn't run without one.
7mgte's heat up the engine bay pretty damn hot. That's normal for it. The dash gauge (stock) isn't always very accurate, an air pocket where the sensor is will show heat spikes. There is no benefit running without it.

I would recommend you put a proper Tstat in right away. There are other mechanical things that are supposed to happen such as the water pump cavitating without the flow control, etc.

Janch

Jul 23, 2012
Riga
Thx. I will put it back in. Drove like 30kms without and it takes pretty long time to heat up and even tho engine temp is still a bit lower than usuall. So i guess that VERY HOT tube was just normal as my tstat opens at 88º C

I guess i was just a bit scared from blueish smoke that camed from exhaust manifold side (when assembled i used some greese for rusty screws, new gaskets, gasket for egr block of plates which i heard kinda burning out) and when car heats, its hard to idle and it wants to turn off (vacuum pipes or smth) so i guess all that camed together and i was abit afraid :D

Oh... while i drove around, when reached my destination i saw that gearbox was slipping a lot just before starts moving. Checked fluid level, was barely touching stick. Filled up and heard that water hitting ground sound. I was like - Noooo way... oh cmon !
I lost gearbox drain plug. I have no idea how. Maybe i forgot to tighten it really hard or smth but it was gone. After spending 40min digging in huge box of million different screws and bolts from different cars i found 1 just and only 1 that did fit... haha lucky me.

My supra doesnt stops surprising me.

Janch

Jul 23, 2012
Riga
yeah i hope i will get it tommarrow. well but id does looks like it does fit, allso is allmost exactly same lenght. allso 14mm :D

ok ok OEM is the real deal.

does it comes with o ring? like metal ring or smth (not regular waasher)?

ImperfectSupra

May 19, 2007
Virginia Beach
mabeja8e.jpg

Just put a can of r-12 in, my AC runs great now, comparable to my 2012 Nissan quest.

ImperfectSupra

May 19, 2007
Virginia Beach
Chris_87_Turbo;2009977 said:
Where did you find some r12. Can't find it anywhere near me

Chris

I got it on eBay, you either have to have a 609 certification or tell them that you are buying it to sell to a ac mechanic

Chris_87_Turbo

Nov 5, 2013
Princeton, TX
I have an ASE certification for it. Used to have a case of of them up until august last year. Then leave it to me to buy my supra 2 months after I sold it and find the supra hasn't been converted. I'll have to check eBay.

Chris

Atlas

You call this a sandwich?
Aug 22, 2012
Clovis CA
Dropped the R154 off at Marlin Crawler for the HD rebuild. It's gonna be a 8-11 week lead time :aigo: The Supra is on stands in the garage :nono: To keep myself preoccupied, I'm shopping for the possibility of a 1jz. But since I loved the Supra as both an n/a daily and weekend autox and track car, I'm hesitant on a swap that will lead to increased down time and potential tuning/reliability/running problems. May just swap in a 7MGTE or I might just rebuild the two 7MGE's sitting in the garage as spares. I dunno, the way this car is built, they're meant to be turbo...

AbsoluteSpeed

Aug 8, 2007
Edmonton AB
My odometer rolled over 150,000km today (93,000miles for all you across the border).

I bought the car two years ago and have put on 25000km in that time. Almost feels like a shame racking up the miles, but that won't stop me from driving and enjoying it.