What did you do to your supra today? Pics

ZoomZoomZoom

On the road again..
Dec 9, 2007
KY
Here's one that actually involves enjoying a Supra instead of fixing it!

Hubby and I took the cars out to the Grads-n-Dads car show here in Lexington today. We entered the import class.
Car show (Small).JPG

His car (mint '96 SC300 with 80k original miles)
SC300 (Small).JPG

My car (1990 with 159k on shell, 3k on engine)
Supra (Small).JPG

Tracy & Joel (Small).JPG

On the registration card, it says "List outstanding features" and I was sorely tempted to write "It runs!", but alas, I feared it would come off as a little sarcastic so I left it blank.

There were very few imports: our cars plus 1 VW bug, 1 Volvo, 1 Miata and 1 Triumph. The Triumph didn't enter the Import class, but the Miata won. Don't know how because the SC300 is mint. My husband swears it was a conspiracy. He won a door prize so he's not complaining too much ;)

yhatzee89

Joe Yantz
Aug 31, 2012
San Antonio, TX
Got me some parts in the mail the last few days...

TRD radiator cap
sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

Some Tokico IlluminaII's with RSR springs (don't know race or sport)
sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

And then the one piece aluminum drive shaft
sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

Also found a set of 4 starion rears for $400, gonna pick them up sometime this week :)
sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

They're rough, but they are the right ones and I think they will clean up just fine, gonna polish them and have the insets powder coated black

ZoomZoomZoom

On the road again..
Dec 9, 2007
KY
Grandavi;2010569 said:
Actually by the photos I'm surprised your supra didn't win... But it may be the "special" part that lost it..

The seats are in dismal shape. The sun has long torched them. They are an eye sore. :(

Janch

Jul 23, 2012
Riga
there was Supra meet in Latvia. finally i saw more than 2 supras together. one mk4 and one mk3 didnt show up. but here are 5 supras
Supra.pngIMG_20140614_234852.jpg2014-06-14 22.57.18.pngsupra 1JZ.jpg

black mk3 is now 1JZ Twins, R154 car has been fully restored
grey mk3 is built 7m with Precision 6262 @25psi R154
white 2JZ-GE W58
Red(mine) stock 7MGTE 10psi, auto hehe

MK4 2JZGTE V160 6speed manual. LOADS of mods ~800hp.

Doat

Feb 6, 2012
Houston, TX
Seems that my overheating problem was due to the radiator cap, thanks to some members on the MK3 technical help fb page I inspected the cap and noticed it was leaking. Problem is I had to get another pressure release cap instead of the oem type since the oem cap is smaller than the cap for my radiator, so I need to figure out how to get a better radiator cap that is the right size but this new one will do until then.

Doat

Feb 6, 2012
Houston, TX
Funny enough I watched that last night I love their youtube channel/show. I don't think painting it black for street use would benefit more than leaving it shiny like they said it's better for going to the track and drag strip.

Grandavi

Sep 25, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Janch;2010713 said:

Im just wondering how well their "back room lab" actually proves anything. Logically speaking it doesn't make much sense. You would assume that no paint would be better...

However, when you really think about it.. why are radiators painted black normally? I always considered that cosmetic... maybe there is more here than meets the eye...

Chris_87_Turbo

Nov 5, 2013
Princeton, TX
Like mentioned earlier. Look at most oem radiators and plus oem intercoolers. They are all black. That being said I think that to really be effective you have to use a paint specified the purpose like "radiator black". It's a product I've used when restoring muscle cars when a new replacement is hard to find.

Chris

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Janch

Jul 23, 2012
Riga
yhatzee89 i see that TRD radiator cap says 1,3kg/cm3 mine is only 0,9. u shure tubes are gonna hold that extra pressure? just in case it overheats in summer.

yhatzee89

Joe Yantz
Aug 31, 2012
San Antonio, TX
Chris_87_Turbo;2010777 said:
Like mentioned earlier. Look at most oem radiators and plus oem intercoolers. They are all black. That being said I think that to really be effective you have to use a paint specified the purpose like "radiator black". It's a product I've used when restoring muscle cars when a new replacement is hard to find.

I've always sprayed my my intercooler just so it doesn't draw any more attention and blends in well. I've always used black BBQ paint and it works well enough, but needs to be redone about once a year lol.

Janch;2010803 said:
yhatzee89 i see that TRD radiator cap says 1,3kg/cm3 mine is only 0,9. u shure tubes are gonna hold that extra pressure? just in case it overheats in summer.

That's the same pressure cap that was on it when I got the car. I just put a stock one on there cuz I had it and I knew it worked. If the system can't handle the added pressure, then I've got to upgrade anyway. A stock system should be able handle that if it's up to factory standards.

In other news today, I installed my one piece driveshaft
Old shaft :(
sm_photo_missing.jpg

Out with the old, in with the new
sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

Much better :)
sm_photo_missing.jpg

yhatzee89

Joe Yantz
Aug 31, 2012
San Antonio, TX
Doat;2010825 said:
Your undercarriage needs to be cleaned up big time lol but mine is oily and grimy too I call it rust protection hehe

My diff is shot and it leaked diff fluid all over the place, car has undercoating, but it looks terrible. It's held up pretty well despite its looks.

Chris_87_Turbo;2010831 said:
Yhatzee this is what I've always used and holds up well. It's meant for radiators though. The biggest thing is to make sure to not clog the fins.
http://www.eastwood.com/eastwood-radiator-black-paint.html#

Yeah that's why I never really spray it on too thick. I'm definitely gonna have to give that stuff a try.

atmperformance

Sep 17, 2013
San jose
550rcinjectors.jpg
Got these in today, RC 550s. I really should start a build thread before I start forgetting all i've bought for this project. If i use a t4 to t3 adapter I can get a turbo i like for $1,670.00 or spend 100-200 more to get a t4 flange. I'd still need waste gate and downpipe fabbed up. and a better intercooler... so it's a couple weeks away still.