What did you do to your supra today? Pics

atmperformance

Sep 17, 2013
San jose
Atlas;2009992 said:
Dropped the R154 off at Marlin Crawler for the HD rebuild. It's gonna be a 8-11 week lead time :aigo: The Supra is on stands in the garage :nono: To keep myself preoccupied, I'm shopping for the possibility of a 1jz. But since I loved the Supra as both an n/a daily and weekend autox and track car, I'm hesitant on a swap that will lead to increased down time and potential tuning/reliability/running problems. May just swap in a 7MGTE or I might just rebuild the two 7MGE's sitting in the garage as spares. I dunno, the way this car is built, they're meant to be turbo...
it's good to hear they are still rebuilding those

Doat

Feb 6, 2012
Houston, TX
hopefully by the time I send my R154 in for a rebuild it won't take a few months but meh I'll do it when I start swapping my 2jz in.

Chris_87_Turbo

Nov 5, 2013
Princeton, TX
yhatzee89;2009994 said:
Go 1j, you could have it swapped and running in 8 weeks no problem

X2. I've swapped motors in a weekend. I just had to r&r my 7mgte. Took 2 days, just waited till I had all the parts. Ended up putting a bunch of new parts on since I had the motor out.

Chris

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Janch

Jul 23, 2012
Riga
Built 7m is better than 1J. Stock vs. Stock 1j have advances but 3.0 makes a big difference when it comes too torque. Well it all depends on your hp goals etc but you know once you get 500 you will want more :D

gsxr141

Oct 24, 2010
rochester
gathering parts to work on my car saturday. i'll finally be installing my aem ems, wally 255, afpr, and aem uego. hopefully i can find a base map so the car will run. :/

Doat

Feb 6, 2012
Houston, TX
I need to get an AFPR and wideband so I can install my walbro 255 pump and tune my car to get the most out of it. I really want to dyno it.

gsxr141

Oct 24, 2010
rochester
what mods do you have? i was running the lex/630 combo with the stock turbo and my afr's were great. i didn't have the afpr or 255 installed yrt.

Doat

Feb 6, 2012
Houston, TX
I got the lex/550 mod with full 3in exhaust, intake, and stock CT26 at 14psi. People tell me I should have that pump installed but if anything I seem to be running rich at times because my car likes to explode from the exhaust under certain conditions lol.

gsxr141

Oct 24, 2010
rochester
Grandavi;2010139 said:
If it's just a ct26 you don't need the fuel pump or AFPR.

this. you should be fine. the only reason i got the afpr and 255 is because i have a 60-1 now and an ame ems to install.
i ran it like you for quite a while.

Doat

Feb 6, 2012
Houston, TX
I figured, seems like I got an Apexi SAFC 2 neo for nothing then lol unless I upgrade my CT26 to 57 trim or something but I rather spend that money toward my 2jz

Silver MK3

Jan 24, 2011
Madison, AL
AbsoluteSpeed;2009997 said:
My odometer rolled over 150,000km today (93,000miles for all you across the border).

I bought the car two years ago and have put on 25000km in that time. Almost feels like a shame racking up the miles, but that won't stop me from driving and enjoying it.

Mine has almost 90k miles on it and I know what you mean about racking up the miles. When I got it a little over three years ago it had only 70k and in the last three years I've put 20k on it. It's just so much fun to drive!

Doat

Feb 6, 2012
Houston, TX
I bought mine at 84k miles now it has a little over 99k after 3 years. Most of that is from me testing the car out after I did the head gasket, replaced various parts, replaced the clutch, etc. so I was purposely putting miles on to break stuff in properly.

pogoism9

1UZ for me!
May 18, 2007
fredericksburg, va
I finally broke ground on mine nose cone and fenders are off and everything in front of the core support is now clean and reassembled

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

Piratetip

Far From Maddening Crowds
Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 30, 2005
MKE, WI
Pulled my engine/trans/rear subframe out after getting home from work today :D
Still light outside!

Doat

Feb 6, 2012
Houston, TX
Well it seems that 90 degree hose at the back of the motor is leaking AGAIN. I noticed my coolant level kept dropping, so I checked the area and I saw some spots of fresh coolant. I hate hoses. I can remove the trans mount and jack up the tranny a little bit to get more room for the back of the head right?

Grandavi

Sep 25, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
SOrry to hear you keep having far too much fun Doat. Eventually it will be right : ) I (luckily) have never had to do that repair...

On a different note, I have to share my feelings regarding Jack Transmission who rebuilt my R154.

I have the trans installed and am running it. Initially we felt that the shifting was far too notchy and hard to push into, however, the synchros are good enough you could shift into 1st while doing 100 kph... they are just well done. However... the fifth gear always pops out and shifting when its cold is very difficult. It gets better when it warms up but 1-2-3 are all hard to get into gear. So, I complained. This is where it gets interesting.

(this is a first for me btw... out of all the shops I have ever dealt with or parts suppliers... )

Upon hearing my complaint, Jack's response? Pull the transmission and send it back. No question asked. ANd the kicker? I didn't ask for it, and I know of no other shop that would do this (keep in mind, we are in two different countries)... but he told me to bill him for the R&R and he would pay for the shipping as well.

My car has been in the shop since June of 2013 so putting it back in there was not a keen point for me.. so I asked if it would be better just to repair locally (as my shop is fully capable of doing it). He wouldn't permit that, he wanted to make sure that there were absolutely no issues and was adamant that he wanted to see where the fault lay. I understand and respect this. So, after a little banter back and forth he offered to hunt down a R154 core, buy it, build it and ship it to me. Then he will cover the removal and shipping of the R154 I currently have to him. This allows me to do the R&R on the transmission in a single day (Hoping for July 7th if Jack finds a core in time). I should be able to actually make SIV this year because of this.. otherwise, the car would have sat for a month or more.

So, I have to extoll the virtues of Jack Transmission because of all the shops I have ever dealt with, I have never had a better response for an issue, especially considering the distance between us. There was not one breath of it being my fault.

How can you NOT tell others about that?

Doat

Feb 6, 2012
Houston, TX
Well last night I tightened the clamp a little more let the car warm up no leak drove it around no leaks. Today I was stuck in traffic in the HOT houston summer heat surrounded by cars and trucks and what happens? My temp gauge goes up a third of the way and stays there. I am freaking out trying to get out of the traffic and onto back roads ASAP then my AC started blowing hot air intermittently I figured the compressor or something is getting too hot so it automatically shuts off to lessen the load on the motor, so I turn off the AC. I debated driving off of the freeway and go over the curb but I am pretty sure I will scrape or damage something, so I stick it out and at one point I got too worried and shut the car off and looked under the hood quickly and saw coolant slowly bubbling through my radiator cap, I have the kind that has a lever to release pressure. I let it cool a little bit then get back in line, finally I get through traffic and the temp gauge goes back to normal and AC works normally but the car feels a bit rough at idle I figure it's just really hot. It was driving fine on the way home everything felt normal except for the occasional rough idle and when I was in my neighborhood I decide to go balls out and see what happens I figure if something is messed up I might as well know it now while I have time to do something about it. I floor it in second full boost and all then shift and got home. Nothing happened. I do plan to get a block tester and see if I blew my head gasket and if so then time to build that 2jz.

drogon

Oct 29, 2013
Dallas Texas
Got her back on the road today new Slave, master and ss braided hose :) feels nice.
uha9yvu2.jpg
puja7ysa.jpg
ma5y7ymy.jpg
old parts happily to the trash

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk