What did you do to your supra today? Pics

DeMoN2318

May 24, 2012
Arizona
DeMoN2318;1992991 said:
Changed the TPS and TB, took it for a drive and when I went around a corner I heard something metallic bouncing around on the road. Hit the brakes and turned around and found what looked like a caliper bolt in the road. I went straight home, pulled the car up on the ramps to check underneath and didnt see anything missing. All four lower caliper bolts were there.

Took the car out again, driving around fine, getting on it pretty good running through the gears, all is well. Figure the bolt was just in the road and I ran it over and made it bounce around.

Pull out onto a street and during acceleration I hear this loud banging noise, 1/rev (wheel rev)...let off the gas and it stops...accelerate and it comes back. I am near my fathers house so I pull over there, still only does it during acceleration. We crawl underneath and check around some and dont notice anything...

Before I reveal what it turned out to be...anyone wanna take a guess??

The rest of the story...

The bolt that I found in the road was indeed off of my car...it was the TOP caliper mount bolt. I couldnt see it when I was under the car because the caliper slide over this bolt and then rotates down, so the bolt was (would have) been hidden in a tube.

So when I would accelerate, the caliper would pivot about the bottom bolt and started banging against the wheel balance weights.

I was able to crawl underneath and get the bolt hand tight so I could limp it home. I then took off all four calipers, removed the top bolt and reinstalled with some thread locker. The other three top caliper bolts were also loose.

Im so thankful that the bolt feel out when I was going slow enough to hear it...and NOT on my way to SIV.

Silver MK3

Jan 24, 2011
Madison, AL
DeMoN2318;1993164 said:
The rest of the story...

The bolt that I found in the road was indeed off of my car...it was the TOP caliper mount bolt. I couldnt see it when I was under the car because the caliper slide over this bolt and then rotates down, so the bolt was (would have) been hidden in a tube.

So when I would accelerate, the caliper would pivot about the bottom bolt and started banging against the wheel balance weights.

I was able to crawl underneath and get the bolt hand tight so I could limp it home. I then took off all four calipers, removed the top bolt and reinstalled with some thread locker. The other three top caliper bolts were also loose.

Im so thankful that the bolt feel out when I was going slow enough to hear it...and NOT on my way to SIV.

Wow, that's kinda freaky that they were all loose. I'm glad that you were able to catch it before something bad happened.

Janch

Jul 23, 2012
Riga
did boost leak test today aaaand pshh sound was all over the engine bay :D mostly on top of the engine. rubber hoses were hard as plastic few was cracked and some vacuum hoses as well including BPV vacum hose that still worked but after changing that my BOSH BPV vented in atmosphere sounds much beter now. removed MBC as well because turbo is not gonna hold long anymore. so good day and happy car. i get better idle now as well.

ImperfectSupra

May 19, 2007
Virginia Beach
DeMoN2318;1993164 said:
The rest of the story...

Doing my brakes sunday. Maybe I should get thread locks also.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

BabylonDown

Feb 19, 2014
Toronto
ImperfectSupra;1993175 said:
Doing my brakes sunday. Maybe I should get thread locks also.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

Care to do a writeup? :D I've been looking for an easy to follow writeup since I will be doing mine in a few weeks when the weather warms up. I'm a newbie Mcnewbus.

BabylonDown

Feb 19, 2014
Toronto
Ok. I have a c-clamp, just wasn't sure what the pad was pushing against the piston because it didn't match the pad going on the car.

I'm like a child when it comes to building things. I need nice colourful pictures and a simple detailed write-up. Doesn't help that I've never changed the brakes on a car before. :D

Any writeup on rotor removal and installation?

Backlash2032

Sep 20, 2010
Nebraska
Replaced my CPS and plug wires.. I must be a beast when putting the CPS in. Every time I've had one out I've never had it a tooth off, and it's usually only a couple degrees out

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk

scottiedawg66

Apr 1, 2005
Bay Area Ca
Silver MK3;1993127 said:
Nice, is that about what you were expecting?

It is quite a bit more. I have a 1jz and that run was 91 pump fuel, bw 360(83-75), 272s, and SAFCII, and an aeromotive AFPR for tuning.

The car felt slow to me I thought under 400hp for sure, but I think I am a bit jaded from all the years on 2 wheels.

Grandavi

Sep 25, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
BabylonDown;1993208 said:
Ok. I have a c-clamp, just wasn't sure what the pad was pushing against the piston because it didn't match the pad going on the car.

I'm like a child when it comes to building things. I need nice colourful pictures and a simple detailed write-up. Doesn't help that I've never changed the brakes on a car before. :D

Any writeup on rotor removal and installation?

When it comes to brakes, you should be very careful when doing them. Normally, when I do the brakes, I almost do a full rebuild on the caliper, regrease the pins and check over all the lines, etc. Its not terribly difficult, but there are small things that you can do that can end badly. To me, brakes are the most important component of the car. Even with a dead engine...

drogon

Oct 29, 2013
Dallas Texas
A-to-the-J no resistors are needed, straight drop in easy as hell, you'll need a LED flasher relay tho or the low voltage from the bulbs will make the blinkers blink fast since it thinks they're out. Also you'll need to do the bypass the tail light failure module. Janch I was going to do a thread but decided against it since it was so easy, may do it since I have to take out my tail lights they're leaking 😑

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BabylonDown

Feb 19, 2014
Toronto
Grandavi;1993247 said:
When it comes to brakes, you should be very careful when doing them. Normally, when I do the brakes, I almost do a full rebuild on the caliper, regrease the pins and check over all the lines, etc. Its not terribly difficult, but there are small things that you can do that can end badly. To me, brakes are the most important component of the car. Even with a dead engine...

Well technically I'm swapping calipers from one car to another. The rear brakes are already done from the previous owner. I just want to remove them and repaint them. When the time comes I will post pictures and ask advice then.

I will heed your warning though. Thank you.

drogon

Oct 29, 2013
Dallas Texas
Up at Lexus today, replacing the steering rack(horrible leaks) and lines got the magnafine filter 😉, also doing some other goodies
ma5ybasa.jpg
za4usa8e.jpg
avaqamaz.jpg
looks like I'll be needing ball joints as well sigh...

Silver MK3

Jan 24, 2011
Madison, AL
Good call on replacing the steering rack bushings while you are in there and also putting the magnefine filter in. I would also recommend Mobil 1 ATF for the power steering system.

drogon

Oct 29, 2013
Dallas Texas
Yea I got some poly bushings taking a chance with then, couldn't get a hold of ronniek in time, will do! Appreciate the advice! ATF=auto tranny fluid?