Well, I went to the track for some practice last night...

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
I can't argue with that. Absolutely gorgeous.........and it runs good, well except for that whole driveshaft thing you've got going on.

AF1JZ

Almost civilian status...
Jun 26, 2006
Fredericksburg, VA
Wow, that sucks. Sorry to hear though.

I have the 1-piece steel driveshaft from Jawsgear. I'd recommend them or Shaftmasters (vendor here).

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
Driz: Craig had come across a bunch of posts I'd made in the past about why the Feramic discs weld them selves to flywheels while he was researching the subject.

He asked if I thought it would be ok to use one as his HP was "moderate" ;)

I said no the rest is history.

suprakid24

Turbo'd
Jan 6, 2007
Texas
www.cardomain.com
Thanks bluemkiii and suprarcr89

:icon_bigg

IJ.;941615 said:
Driz: Craig had come across a bunch of posts I'd made in the past about why the Feramic discs weld them selves to flywheels while he was researching the subject.

He asked if I thought it would be ok to use one as his HP was "moderate" ;)

I said no the rest is history.

And as for the pm, IJ pretty much said it all. We ordered the feramic full face because we wanted a disk that was streetable, and could hold some power. After reading about it on the HPF website, we ordered it. The next day, I did some research and found out that the Feramic disk and Aluminum fly wheels don't mix well. I pm'd IJ because he seemed like he knew alot about it, and asked him if I would be ok with it only making about 500 horsepower. He said he wouldn't risk it. So then my dad called back to HPF to see what they said about it, and they said that only making 500 hp it wouldn't be a problem, so we stuck with that disk. Then it welded itself.

Big mistake.

Dec 3, 2003
Canada
suprakid24;941675 said:
So then my dad called back to HPF to see what they said about it, and they said that only making 500 hp it wouldn't be a problem, so we stuck with that disk. Then it welded itself.

Big mistake.

As did mine :nono:

I run the Spec and the drive ability is great. It's designed for both street and track so I say get this! It is a little cash but it's what you would need for launching the car hard.

Also replied to your pm.

Duane

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
suprakid24;941675 said:
Thanks bluemkiii and suprarcr89

:icon_bigg

And as for the pm, IJ pretty much said it all. We ordered the feramic full face because we wanted a disk that was streetable, and could hold some power. After reading about it on the HPF website, we ordered it. The next day, I did some research and found out that the Feramic disk and Aluminum fly wheels don't mix well. I pm'd IJ because he seemed like he knew alot about it, and asked him if I would be ok with it only making about 500 horsepower. He said he wouldn't risk it. So then my dad called back to HPF to see what they said about it, and they said that only making 500 hp it wouldn't be a problem, so we stuck with that disk. Then it welded itself.

Big mistake.

It's not really the rwhp that's the issue it's more our fat pigs and getting them rolling coupled with the slow to release hydraulic clutch.

This is a perfect combination for friction welding.

suprakid24

Turbo'd
Jan 6, 2007
Texas
www.cardomain.com
some pics of the clutch and flywheel

sm_photo_missing.jpg

p942334_1.jpg

p942334_2.jpg

p942334_3.jpg

p942334_4.jpg

p942334_5.jpg

p942334_6.jpg

Clueless

Banned
Feb 22, 2006
Columbus, Indiana
suprakid24;942445 said:
I thought it was a good upgrade, but I guess I thought wrong because it didn't last. It's gonna be steel now, hopefully it won't do the same thing.

Well, while it's unfortunate that this happened to you...you actually made the rest of us supra owners aware that these aluminum driveshaft aren't for everybody(if anybody).