weight reduction

346fc3s

Aug 20, 2010
Benbrook, TX
I've heard 10 pounds is worth 1 hp. My driver seat (not leather) weighed 68lbs and I'm assuming the passenger seat weighs just a little less. That's 130lbs give or take a few in just seats, if you put in some 15lb fiberglass seats then you just gained .1 in the quarter or 10hp. Remove the spare tire, get lighter wheels, get a fiberglass hood and a smaller battery and you'll save another 100lbs. You just gained speed equal to another 20hp without touching the engine, this is without even counting the much greater effects rotating mass has on the vehicle. You also just made your car handle better without touching the suspension, stop better without touching the brakes and get better gas mileage around town. It may not be much but every single car on the face of the planet can gain performance by removing weight. If removing that weight doesn't affect the comfort of the car then there isn't a single downside to it. I always remove weight from anything and everything I own, including my 7500lb tow rig. Why? Because every pound I take out is another pound of cargo I can carry without overloading, aside from all the previous bonuses I mentioned earlier.

A. Jay

Search.
Jun 3, 2009
Bay Area, CA
allen600;1618993 said:
what can the 7mgte be swapped into? 240z? i want something very lite!

Not a very good idea: http://www.supramania.com/forums/showthread.php?35005-Crazy-ass-idea-7M-GTE-240SX.

slopra;1619003 said:
Forget the 7m go 1jz :)
But seriously I wouldn't worry about weight reduction in the heavy ass pig that is the mk3, no offense I owned one and loved it, they're just boats...just throw on a bigger turbo, get a good tune, dial in your suspension and be happy with a full working "luxury" interior

Lul, .5L less displacement for like 20-40 lbs less, not good in terms of weight reduction.

As others have suggested, you can swap in an all-aluminum engine. I was considering a 1uzfe, then single-turboing it, but now I'm also looking into swapping one into a 240sx and leaving it n/a instead.

Edit: Just saw that you wrote 240z. Ah well, I think the same applies.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
This all seems like bs. You can get the car down to 3000 no prob if you do it right and even less but that is more race car status.

1JZ is still cast iron block tho so it still has some weight weather its .5L less, but uz all alum is light but there is no aftermarket support for it, ls is a much better option. But then ls swap is very expensive but you can make a lot of hp off not much of mods. Its a toss up.

It all depends on what you want to do with the car. There are a couple people on here with sub 3k lbs cars but will not be optimal for dd.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Nick M;1618952 said:
I don't want to change the character of the car.

A big change that could help is an aluminum-magnesium block. That won't happen. You can gut it and drop unnecessary weight, changing the character of the car.

GT, not sedan. Sedans have 4 doors by definition. 2 doors are coupes.

Actually, on your registration they're listed as either 2 or 3 door sedans. Four seats...

suprasom;1619049 said:
Rear hatch weight a ton and get carbon fiber hatch. There is a guy on supra forums that has one of those ..

The hatch is light, the GLASS in the hatch weighs a metric ton. Also keep in mind removing weight from the rear of the car will screw up the balance...

Oh, and on the 1J being "lighter," I'll call BS as the twin turbo system is heavy as hell. Now if it was a single... maybe.

iwannadie

Jul 28, 2006
gilbert, az
Poodles;1619053 said:
Actually, on your registration they're listed as either 2 or 3 door sedans. Four seats...

I actually had a cop give me a hard time because my registration said it was a 3 door... He looked at me like I was crazy or something when I said "yea because of the hatch, 3rd door". He seemed to have never herd of a car listed as 3 door.

kamikazemkiii

Mar 21, 2009
North Carolina
This ALL has been coverd time and time again. I dont want to be a ass, but what you are looking can be found relatively easy. If its not, ill try to help ya.
I considered swapping my built 7m into a s13 240 but im not in a position were i can at the moment. Tho id like to see it done.

Theirs a guy floating around here with a 1jz 240z swap, u could buy the swap kit and put your 7m in their

Scott 88-1JZ

Dec 9, 2007
California
Its funny that the list does not have the weight of the hood on it (unless I missed it). Anyone know the wait savings with a fiberglass or CF hood?

fixitman04

fixer of all things !!
Sep 18, 2008
north dakota
the power seat is about 100 lbs, the non power seat is only about 50. that would be a big improvement.

thought about a diet?

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
Why in the world would you want to remove weight from the middle/rear of a car that's already nose-heavy? Seriously... you won't like the way it handles if you do that to an extreme. If I were going about lightening up a Mk3, I'd move the battery to the back seat area (remember to ventilate), and start going through things that are heavy without *too* important of a reason. Care much about your front end? If not, the bumper support weighs quite a lot, however... if you get in an accident, kiss your car goodbye. My car with myself, a full tank of gas, spare fluids, nearly all my tools, roll cage, and full interior, weighs ~3860, last I checked. It may have been ~3760, don't remember exactly.

The thing still handles amazingly, it all depends on how communicative your car is. Mine has limits that are generally speaking, above and beyond the way I drive it. I drive mine daily, and just got the tires to squeal from turning at a high speed for the corner a few days ago... was taking a curved off ramp at ~65mph and stepped on the brakes to scrub off some speed quickly. Front left obviously had a lot of stress being put on it, and it came through when I needed the traction.

What exactly are you trying to accomplish though? What do you use your car for? These are the sorts of answers you need to ask yourself. Just drive your car until you start surpassing it's limits, THEN go about upgrading. For a badass daily driver, I'm set up pretty good and plenty happy. :)

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
You are killing me poodles.

Remove A/C compressor and condensor. And the evaporator is you are really feeling spunky. Fabricate a manual steering rack from one made for another car. Smaller battery, but leave it where it is. Fiberglass hood, put the mat back in plcae.

Remove the rustproofing from the underside. Lightweight wheels, seats, remove back seats and carpeting.

Those are just a few things.

honeydew

Supra Freebaser
May 10, 2007
Toronto, Ontario
I think my favorite answer was number 2. Get something else.

You can get rid of bumper beams and if you really wanted to go nuts, replace all panels with carbon fiber, there's a guy on ebay that will do the doors and targa. That would really be a labour of love at that point. For that kind of money get an old Ferrari.

Mine is 1660Kgs or 3650Lbs roughly and I don't have any extra except for sway bars.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
My car back when it was 7M was 4020Lb's, dropped a bit with the LS Chev install but things would have been much worse in my recent accident if I'd removed the front bumper Reo....

DON'T compromise safety for weight people :nono:

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
honeydew;1619576 said:
I think my favorite answer was number 2. Get something else.

For track duty, Celica Supra with a 7MGTE. I wonder what the 8.62 car has for an interior. Do that with the lighter MA67 chasis.

Dylan JZ

一番 King
Oct 18, 2007
湾岸せん
well, I've lightened mine to a certain extent by removing things like.. stock headunit/speakers, the windshield washer reservoir and all it's parts, stock exhaust and DP, stock suspension, moving the battery to the rear, stock steering wheel, stock seats, pre89 moldings, stock wheels, hydro-fan, stock aux fan, stock FMIC and piping, stock lower grill, torque damper (who needs that with a 1J?! ha ha), misc. parts on the undercarriage meant for stock mounting, and my 1J with twins was still lighter than the 7M on the scale IIRC (not by a whole lot though),..

all of this stuff adds up.. is it a lot lighter? well, of course not. but you would be surprised how much all of that amounts to, it more or less satisfied me. my understanding is that the Mk3 has a lot of weight in places that are simply not easy/feasible to access in terms of reduction, so I went with the things that I knew I could deal with to save a little here and there.