weight reduction

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Look at our suspension and then look at the suspension of a 240... All and all, the supra is much beefier than most cars it's compared to, which explains how it can take the absurd power figures some people put out...

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
IJ already pointed out that compromising safety for speed is a bad idea, which is why I posted the bumper support bit with a warning that it was a bad idea...

Anyway, on the original subject, you really have to appreciate a vehicle for what it is, not what it isn't. It isn't light. It IS a comfortable, good performing, reasonably priced touring car. I tell the truck guys to leave the racing to me and I'll leave the towing to them. However, if you're dead set on a Supra that's light, start lighter, with a Mk2 or a Mk4, if your budget allows.

Keros

Canadian Bacon
Mar 16, 2007
Calgary
Low 3000's could be done. You'd have to make sacrifices, lots of sacrifices... but it might be worth it.

West0n

Aug 23, 2010
Mesa, AZ
bmoss85;1618963 said:
remove the 7m and replace with an ls motor, then completely gut the interior and get rid of the hvac system. then get some lighter wheels, replace all the glass with lexan. get a carbon fiber driveshaft.

I know you're probably joking about the lexan, but seriously too many NOOBIES would actually do it.........lexan + wreck = giant shards of plastic flying around and decapitation!!

destrux

May 19, 2010
PA
Not to mention the fact that lexan scratches and looks like crap after a year or two, even the scratch resistant stuff.

I think weight reduction is one of those things that really depends on your preferences. Some people prefer having everything that toyota graced them with from the factory. There is some fun in bragging that you beat up on some stripped out camaro with your full weight, full interior car. Some people (I'm one of them) either don't give a crap about the luxury options, prefer to feel like they're driving a race car, or they are so performance obsessed that they feel like they are missing out by not taking advantage of anything that they can do to make the car faster (safely). Removing weight WILL make the car accelerate faster, handle better, stop better, and reduce wear and tear on tires, brakes, the engine, transmission, and suspension. It will not help all of those equally, some things it helps more than others.

Just ripping out the stuff from the hatch and rear seat area I filled up a box and came up with 300 pounds of stuff. I figure I can take another 150 pounds off the car without having to get into carbon fiber or fiberglass. I swapped in a set of manual fabric seats from my 93 eclipse, went with a W58 instead of an R154 (saved ~30 pounds). I did a bunch of other stuff on my car, but I could fill pages with all the little obvious crap.

I'll agree that removing the bumper support is a bad idea. You could get an aluminum one made, or get one from another car that came with an aluminum one and retrofit it.
I'd also stay away from removing any other safety equipment unless there was another trim level the same model year that was available without it (ex- third brake light, ABS, airbags, wipers). Insurance companies will find any way possible to deny claims these days.

Last edited:

madsupra88

BoOoOoST
Sep 17, 2005
Detroit,MI
destrux;1620324 said:
Just ripping out the stuff from the hatch and rear seat area I filled up a box and came up with 300 pounds of stuff.

You sure you didnt just cut the back end of the whole car off? 300lbs just sounds so unreal. id give you no more than 80 and thats pushing it.

IBoughtASupra

Mar 10, 2009
Queens, NY
Supra = Built Tough

240 = Light And Good Weight Distribution Which It Is Why They Are Popular In Drifting

Titan Motorsports put down 2000+ HP in a MKIII chassis. Enough said.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
Just weighed my car again last night. 1j, stock turbo, full interior (minus rear seats, all 15lbs of them), spare gallon of oil and coolant, my tools, and a ~200lb passenger, gas tank full... total = ~3920lbs. Subtract driver and passenger, take out the tools, and you're looking at a 3550lb car. Not too bad for something this comfy.

nightrider760

Sep 25, 2008
escondido , tijuana
if you talking about shaving weight off of the mk3 , but aint going to save cash on the way
cf doors,hatch,hood,fenders,bumpers,targa top and remove ac ,replace the stock seats ... but keep the interior i dislike gutted interiors and chopping stuff like if it was the chainsaw massacre

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
IJ.;1620825 said:
LOL ya Fat Bastard Brad :runaway:

Forgot to add that I put roughly 40-50lbs of dynamat/stinger roadkill in the doors and all through the rear of the car. ;)

And what do you mean fat? My tools weigh about half what I do... I'm bird boned, ~115-120 depending on how much I had for lunch. :biglaugh:

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
I thought that the 7m vs 1j weight subject had already been proven? If it helps to add anything to the argument I've also got a PWR radiator and Megan coilovers, both of which I believe to be a few pounds less than the stock components...

Dylan JZ

一番 King
Oct 18, 2007
湾岸せん
te72;1621934 said:
As opposed to what? What would you expect to be in a Supra..?

perhaps he's telling us that he enjoys reading about motors that spend more time off the road than on.. one's that we're designed when dinosaurs walked the earth, one's that enjoy BHG, rod knock, and overheating; perhaps a combo of all these things.

yay! :squint: