Ways to cure 7M oiling issues

arz

Arizona Performance
Nov 14, 2005
Mesa, AZ
www.ArizonaPerformance.com
I have those Oil Pans Zinc Chromated and I install Trap doors in them to keep the oil from running away from the sump.

If your interesed in the stock pump modified like this then let me know. If your interested in a modified pan with kickouts for increased oil capacity please let me know. About mid May I will be able to dedicate time to this product, but would like to know if there are any already interested in something like this?

Adjuster

Supramania Contributor
Looks great!

Removes the banjo bolt setup, a good possible source of restriction, and allows for other mods if so inclined to remove other possible bottlenecks in the volume going from the pump, to the actuall main galley. (my goal when I setup my system was to try and remove all passeges smaller than AN10 from the pump to the galley, and I've done it, but it was in no part easy.)

Your setup removes the possibility that the braided hose might some day fail. It also has a great ID from what I can see.

That pipe/fitting mod, combined with the side exit, remote filter/cooler setup and a shimmed pump with no bypass cooler should make for a very robust oil system for the 7M.

Do you have more photos of your oil pan mods? Or do I just need to look around more? :) LOL

The pan is not something I changed, and had I taken the time, it is a good mod for sure. (More oil around the pickup is a great idea. One that my accusump takes care of for the most part, but I'd rather have both if possible :) )

One thing that I did, and I'm not sure if it made any difference, was to port the exit of the oil pump. I removed any sharp edges, and rounded it so fluid should flow better. I also "ported" the fittings... LOL took off any sharp lips, and created venturi shapes going into them as well.. Even my 90 from the oil pump is ported. It takes very careful use of a die grinder, carbide ball, straight and taper bits, and a good face shield so you don't get chips in your eyes. I also reccomend wearing a welding cap to keep chips out of your hair, and long sleaves... etc.) If your porting alluminum, use lots of WD40. A spray to the area when your bit starts to load up cleans up the bit, and makes cutting the metal away very easy. (But the oil coated chips stick to everything, and they are sharp as needles.)

Nice work! I'd do this every time v/s the stainless hose I have now.

arz

Arizona Performance
Nov 14, 2005
Mesa, AZ
^^^ Wow thanks for the compliments^^^

Im working on other stuff at the moment but I will post photos of my pan. Sorry I dont have photos of before I welded the baffle in. I know I took them I just have to find them. LOL

I ground the spot welds out that held the stock baffle in then made trap doors with hinges and then welded the stock baffle in then took it down to be yellow zinc chromated with all of my fasteners. Let me know if you guys are interested in something like this. It will be about a month before I can get on em but you get the picture.
CIMG0693_resize.JPG

CIMG0694_resize.JPG

CIMG0695_resize.JPG

CIMG0696_resize.JPG

CIMG0699_resize.JPG

Last edited:

927mgtepat

Banned
Jan 11, 2006
Brighton, MI
IJ. said:
Andy: I think Pat was meaning there would be a pressure increase just from the hardpipe?

Pressure is resistance to flow so the pipe would have less resistance ;)

If a motor was dropping PSI at high rpm the hardpipe might help out there but as you noted peak pressure in these motors is somewhat limited by the controlled leaks.

Still interested to see the results of the flow tests when you find time to perform them.
That question I posted was stupid of me, had myself a brain fart. What i was meaning to say has any one flow tested is as IJ stated.

arz

Arizona Performance
Nov 14, 2005
Mesa, AZ
Sorry no flow tests yet. But this mod eliminates all the restrictions between the pump and the Filter Adapter. If you follow thru with a few more mods to the Oil system I dont see how it cant be an improvment.

arz

Arizona Performance
Nov 14, 2005
Mesa, AZ
Whoo Hoo I just got the shipment of the delinquent parts. Only enough for 10 complete kits. More coming shortly. If you need em soon you better get on em. Right around half of those are already spoken for. More to follow in a week.

If you have paid and havent gotten your Oil Pump Supply kit. Please PM me to make sure I didnt forget anyone. Please include your REAL/shipping name and your SM alias. You guys keep forgetting to do that and its a PITA to try to track you down and match up an order based on your shipping address and your SM info ("IF" your sig states where you live).

They will be shipped tonight, and I will get you a tracking number unless your international (INT is USPS, sorry no tracking number)

Jaguar_5

It's ALIVE!
Feb 7, 2006
Seattle
Got mine in the mail today :)

All I can say is wow :love:
Fine piece of work this is!

Does anyone have this running on their engine yet? If not I hope to be the first :)

Jaguar_5

It's ALIVE!
Feb 7, 2006
Seattle
Hey Andy, wanna make sure I got your installation instructions right!
I'm a visual learner, so lets clarify :)

Attachments

• threadsealant.JPG
    threadsealant.JPG
    39.8 KB · Views: 223

arz

Arizona Performance
Nov 14, 2005
Mesa, AZ
No, No, No, and yes.

AN fittings need no sealant what so ever. The Tapered thread is where you install 2 revolutions of teflon tape (not teflon sealant or paste or puddy). On the end with the jamb nut you put silicone sealant, but only on the last few threads where it enters the Oil Pump. I will show a photo later tonight.

mk3forme

Apr 5, 2005
Lexington KY
I got mine last week and it is some piece of work. I havent actually test fitted it yet but It is a top quality piece. Arz are still going to post the pic you were referring to a couple of posts up about where sealant is and isnt needed?

mk3forme

Apr 5, 2005
Lexington KY
oh yeah and be sure you have the pipe installed the right way too. I didnt realize it will go on either way. But the oil pan wont go on with it wrong.:naughty:

arz

Arizona Performance
Nov 14, 2005
Mesa, AZ
mk3forme said:
Arz are still going to post the pic you were referring to a couple of posts up about where sealant is and isnt needed?

Yea sorry for the delay, tomorrow night, first thing!!!

mk3forme said:
oh yeah and be sure you have the pipe installed the right way too. I didnt realize it will go on either way. But the oil pan wont go on with it wrong.

Yea its a very tight fit if you can look inside of the oil pan with the front and back alumminum covers off you will be shocked at how close it comes to so many parts of the pan and sump. It was a total PITA to make, glad you guys like them.

arz

Arizona Performance
Nov 14, 2005
Mesa, AZ
I learned a few things along the way.

In the first post in this thread it is stated the you can shim the pump to 11mm. Im not saying thats wrong or that what I did was right. Im just stating the facts and what I did and what I learned.

First the facts.

- The stock Oil pump by-pass spring un-compressed is approximately 59mm long.

- While installed in the pump it is compressed/preloaded to 45mm long.

- The Oil pump by-pass spring stacks at just under 33mm but over 32mm

- If you install an 11 mm shim the spring only has less than 2mm to compress and bypass oil.

- this is not enough for the by-pass piston to make it to the by-pass port.

Heres a photo of the spring almost bound
CIMG0813_resize.JPG

Again I am not attacking or pointing out error just stating a fact.

Knowing this I decided to completely block (ie: remove the spring and install a solid rod). Upon first starting the motor I experienced over 110 psi of oil pressure at startup, setteling to 85+psi at idle and peaking well over 110 psi at less than 2500 rpms, I didnt let the motor warm up under these conditions, I wish I had. Thinking this was my problem I removed the oil pan and replaced it with a shim 9mm in thickness. I started the motor and I experienced almost the exact same thing. Just slightly less peak pressure at a warm idle. Still spiking well above 110 while rising the rpms to less than 2500 rpms. Heres a photo of my setup.
CIMG0761_resize.JPG

Let me preface this by saying I installed an aftermarket Oil cooler sandwich plate adapter, notice the photo. Not having enough time to install an oil cooler I just plumbed the line right back to itself.

Knowing I did not want to pull the pan again, I removed the Oil Filter Sandwich plate adapter and installed stock turbo oil filter adapter. Knowing the problems with the stock oil cooler return lines I blocked that too. I put a socket head cap screw in the oil line to block any oil from being bypassed and as you could guess I got the same results. Next I removed the Socket head cap screw from the oil line and started it again. The oil pressure was a reasonable 45 psi at cold idle. The bummer is it went to a dismal 11-7psi when the oil was warm. This was all with straight 30 weight break in oil.

After consulting with a friend and his changes and results I have concluded that the greatest gains in increasing overall oil pressure can be made by installing a shim in the spring that supplies oil to the oil cooler.

I have yet to test or prove this theory but, the other motor in question was a fresh motor (Bearings, pistons rings, over bored and balanced) and had no modification to the oil pump bypass spring but had the oil cooler completely blocked. The oil pressure of this motor has not been verified by an aftermarket gauge but has been consistantly high on a factory electrical gauge.

To review 59mm minus 14mm (the amount it is preloaded when installed in the pump) equals 45mm. 45mm minus 11mm (the amount recommended for shimming) equals 34mm the stack height of the factory spring is just less than 33mm. This leaves less than 2 mm for the piston to travel. This senario probably works fine if you dont modify the spring in the Oil cooler bypass, or block off the oil cooler. Remember I installed this motor in a Datsun Z and never had an oil cooler or a place for one.

More to follow video of a pressure test between a new oil squirter nozzle check valve and a 200,000+ mile oil squirter. How they work and open might surprise you.

Last edited:

arz

Arizona Performance
Nov 14, 2005
Mesa, AZ
Now that this show is over with I am hitting everything as hard as possible.

There are a lot of things I can do concurrently, just wait and see. When I make progress in one area you guys will hear about it for sure.