Ways to cure 7M oiling issues

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
William: Yep it removes ALL the oil so you don't have a 1mm film on it.....
(really don't know if it actually makes any difference in real terms though)

It acts as a wiper and doesn't actually wear the teflon off as theres always a film of Oil between it and the crank.

It was a little noisy in use (think flubbing your bottom lip) ;)

williamb82

Apr 24, 2005
Tampa, Fl.
IJ.;829062 said:
NOT 12mm...... :nono:

5mm max and it's in the relief valve on the Oil pump inside the Pan.

On a GTE there's a 2nd one in the Cooler Bypass valve that needs to be shimmed the same amount. (some NA's have this as well on a block fitting)

i hope your not serious on this. lol. i shimmed mine to like 10mm this weekend as i had seen someone say they did 12mm and it was just a tad higherpressure then i wanted it was a bitch to get the nut back on too. i had 4mm before and it made no change i could see on the oil pressure gauge. if its too much ill have to drop the pan and remove some shims. good thing about the mk2 is you can drop the pan without droppin the crossmember as its front sump. :D btdt before. lol

Last edited:

williamb82

Apr 24, 2005
Tampa, Fl.
ok, i drove it last night and its ok. not too high at all. stock gauge sits a lil lower then it does with the stock 5m, though the stock 5m doesnt have the oil squirters or the turbo to use up the oil. lol. im releived. means i dont have to drop my oil pan in car.

williamb82

Apr 24, 2005
Tampa, Fl.
ok, figured id update on my delima. prolly 2+ months ago i dropped the pan and unshimmed the pump and installed a new releif spring and 1 washer to make up for the wear on the bolt and piston. its running fine with a purolator filter and didnt blow it up. never hooked the electric oil pressure gauge back to the sender to check the pressure again, just a quick test drive. its running fine. still parked pending other mods.

AGsupra

Sep 28, 2013
Whales
7Ms are still out here, original oiling issues are still there on stock engines, and new people are still building 7Ms.
Bumping this thread so it is easy for people to find :)