Wanted to share this

BlueRolex007

Chronicles of Boredom
Jul 3, 2011
Lancaster PA
Well I went to go change an elderly ladies flat tire today via my craigslist mechanics ad, And when I pulled into her driveway first thing she said to me was I have one of these sitting out back, not thinking much of it I changed her tire. Then she asked me if I wanted to see her supra. (expecting to see a rusted out rust box) I said ok. First off she's had this car for the last 15yrs and its been sitting in her barn for the last 8yrs, covered with tarps. So I pull the tarp away and it is a mint white 89 Supra with a tinted glass targa top yes a glass top in beautiful condition, with the not so beautiful burgundy interior, but the interior is also mint, and when i say mint i mean mint no cracks in the dash no rips in the seat. And then I noticed on the back of the car it had Twin Turbo badges :aigo: so i popped the hood and low and behold it has a 1jzgte. My mind was running a mile a minute, i ask her whats wrong with it she said the motor is blown then she takes me to another garage and she has an extra 1jzgte sitting on a crate, with a NIB clutch next to it. I asked her what she plans on doing with the car. She said if you want it its yours I just want it off my property, apparently this was her car that she bought off someone 15 yrs ago the engine developed a knock she parked it its been there ever since. Her husband was suppose to fix the car but then unfortunately died, so the car just sat. I am super excited to get this thing on the road and feel truly blessed.

Only question I have is, Was there ever a US model mk3 that came with a 1jzgte? Or was this someones creation.

Dan_Gyoba

Turbo Swapper
Aug 9, 2007
Alberta
www.gyoba.com
No USDM Supra ever came with a 1JZ.

You can double check the vehicle data tag in the driver's side door jamb though, it will say what engine designation that the car came with. The firewall tag will also have the chassis designation on it, which will tell the story. MA70 = 7M. JZA70 = 1JZ, GA70 = 1G.

mkiii222

Mar 31, 2005
Troy, MI
Would love to see pics of the glass targa as well.

Sounds like a Joe Dirt story if I ever heard one. Good luck with the restore.

Sep 19, 2011
Des Moines, IA
What a great lady. You should get her one hell of a christmas present, even if you don't know her very well. That is just straight luck. Congrats, and make sure to post lots of pictures.

Grandavi

Sep 25, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
willfish;1899080 said:
i wanna know, is,

you banging her ?
^lol

Some people dont need the money, but I would be doing flowers, a prepaid restaurant card and a couple other things as a thank you for that find... a 43k mileage Supra? I would also be asking her for the entire story of the car and writing it down with her name on it so you had a history. Pretty sure if its left hand drive, the 1j is a swap and the body trim would likely have been done to reflect the new engine setup. Not sure if they had left hand euro Supras with 1j's... but definitly not north American.

okay.. now I am envious... very envious....

IndigoMKII

May 9, 2011
Madison, Virginia
Some people just get it all, lucky fucker.

Hmm, was bought 15 years ago like that, I wonder how well the swap was done. Aftermarket support was probably non-existent back in the late 90's for the 1j in this country.

Damn, that is hella lucky. I would totally freak if that happend to me. But like Matt says, story sounds a bit fishy. The old lady that happens to need a tire change have a mint supra in the barn with a 1jz in it, and a spare 1jz on the side. If the story is true, I would like to buy it from you. lol jk but yea nice find and screw you. So jealous