Type of Vented Gas Cap

Status
Not open for further replies.

p5150

ASE and FAA A&P Certified
Mar 31, 2005
Central Idaho
What types of vented gas caps are you guys using? I removed the canister and plugged the line so I need a vented cap.

TurboStreetCar

Formerly Nosechunks
Feb 25, 2006
Long Island, Ny
if you look inside the cap you can see a rubber diaphragm on the inside of the threaded area, if you poke a hole in that it will become a vented cap. That diaphragm is what seals the threaded part to the part that ratchets. So if you poke a hole in it and put the threaded area to your mouth, when you blow into it you can feel the air come out from under the black plastic top handel part.

thats what i did and its working for me.

s383mmber1

Oct 31, 2005
Somers New York
Heres a detailed description of how to make the vented gas cap.

Skill level required: Expert
Tools: Expensive and hard to find tools
Time: 10+ hours

Process:

1. Find drill
2. Take off gas cap
3. Plug drill in
4. Drill several small holes in gas cap

Done.

Edit: Im not trying to be a smart ass, but if you really want a real vented gas cap, most local autopoarts sotres carry them :)

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
Of course that also disables the postive pressure design (to the fuel pump) of the gas tank.

lagged

1991 1JZ
Mar 30, 2005
new rochelle
jdub said:
Of course that also disables the postive pressure design (to the fuel pump) of the gas tank.

which would have what kind of effects?

if this would cause a significant decrease in flow from the fuel pump, would you then wonder about the tests that guy did however long ago comparing a mkiii pump, mkiv pump, walbro and some others IIRC?

jdub

SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
lagged said:
which would have what kind of effects?

if this would cause a significant decrease in flow from the fuel pump, would you then wonder about the tests that guy did however long ago comparing a mkiii pump, mkiv pump, walbro and some others IIRC?

Doesn't have anything to do with pump flow (unless it cavitates). The charcoal canister is designed to keep the gas tank at positive pressure (2 psi iirc) to help reduce fuel pump cavitation, especially at low tank levels. A better solution vs screwing with the basic design of the tank and associated evap system is to install a JDM canister in the aft passenger wheel well, behind the plastic well liner. Helps keep the air clean too, but all that aside, a lot have people have removed the canister and vented the cap. Doesn't mean that it's the right thing to do, but you can get away with it.

Piratetip

Far From Maddening Crowds
Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 30, 2005
MKE, WI
Don't leave the gas in there for extended periods of time.
Vented cap will let out the aromatics in the fuel much much faster.
Providing some wonderful cold start conditions.

But if you don't do that, don't worry about it.

p5150

Mar 31, 2005
Central Idaho
Yeah anybody can drill a hole in a cap - and honestly im kind of offended that some of you guys think im too stupid to drill a hole in a cap :nono:

Some vented caps have a check valve that allows air in but not out.... it keeps the tank pressurized or equalized with the air outside the tank.

I dont want a BS cap - I would like a nice-looking one if I can get it.

lilazni3uoy

AEM Powered
Apr 1, 2005
NoRCaL and SoCaL
www.cardomain.com
you guys are cheap, drill a gas cap? for that amount of work why not go to your local kragen, autozone and get A REAL gas vented gas cap for 10-20 bucks, for a 87-88 supra, they show they are both different part numbers for pre 89 and 89+ but obviously they are for the same car so it should work for 86-92, all that work so you guys can keep a oem gas cap?

p5150

Mar 31, 2005
Central Idaho
thanks for the info about kragen/schucks/checkers etc. You are saying that they make vented caps that will fit the Supra? Im not quite sure if you are saying they have oem caps or if they have vented caps...

p5150

Mar 31, 2005
Central Idaho
did you guys see the inStant fill caps? It looks like a check valve but I dont know how much pressure it would take to pop it open and let air in

TurboStreetCar

Formerly Nosechunks
Feb 25, 2006
Long Island, Ny
I drilled mine because there were no vented caps available at pep boys, I don't understand how the cap would be "BS" you cant even see the hole, looks like stock but the seal under the plastic cover has a hole in it to let air in or out. not to mention being behind the gas door.

p5150

Mar 31, 2005
Central Idaho
Its BS because when you get pressure differences from temperature changes, altitude and wx patterns moving through the tank will suck in and expel the air in the tank. The constant in/out of air can make fuel go bad faster. Also, fuel evaporates and there is moisture in the air outside of the tank.

Leave a jar of gasoline out uncovered and then try to use it in a month during the humid hot summertime and tell me how it goes.

If you have a check valve on it the tank only pulls air in as the fuel drops.

jdub

SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
Don't have a pic of one, but it's the canister you see on a lot of 1JZ front clips. It's smaller, rectangular shaped...easy to mount in the location I described. Has the same fittings for the vac lines as the round type. You could actually use almost any canister the same size/shape...just route the line through the hole for the upper IC pipe from the BVSV and drill a hole for the line from the tank. This is very easy and remove the canister from the bay, which is the whole point...keeps the evap working as it should too...win - win ;)

iwannadie

Jul 28, 2006
gilbert, az
jdub said:
Don't have a pic of one, but it's the canister you see on a lot of 1JZ front clips. It's smaller, rectangular shaped...easy to mount in the location I described. Has the same fittings for the vac lines as the round type. You could actually use almost any canister the same size/shape...just route the line through the hole for the upper IC pipe from the BVSV and drill a hole for the line from the tank. This is very easy and remove the canister from the bay, which is the whole point...keeps the evap working as it should too...win - win ;)

Thats what I plan on doing, I dont like the big can sitting in the engine bay. At the same time I want to at least Try to keep the air clean. Im wondering how Id pass emissions, they look for the canister in the engine bay. Id have to show them the hidden can under the fender...

jdub

SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
Yeah...air quality in the valley is getting worse.

That is if they even notice here in AZ...I wonder about some of these guys at ADEQ. If they do, point out the vac line routing...if you absolutely have to, pop a couple of the bolts out and pull the liner down so they can see it.

Status
Not open for further replies.