Type of Vented Gas Cap

Status
Not open for further replies.

iwannadie

Jul 28, 2006
gilbert, az
jdub said:
Yeah...air quality in the valley is getting worse.

That is if they even notice here in AZ...I wonder about some of these guys at ADEQ. If they do, point out the vac line routing...if you absolutely have to, pop a couple of the bolts out and pull the liner down so they can see it.

Might be easier to just bolt the stock canister back in place rig it so it looks good lol. The last time I went they popped the hood and looked but it was just a quick walk by.

starscream5000

Senior VIP Member
Aug 23, 2006
Hot and Humid, KY
Someone stole some gas from my supra one time by prying open the tank lid cover (easy to do since the previous owner wrecked, hitting the passenger side, leaving a nice dent beside the tank lid to use a leverage).

I now have a Stant locking Gas cap on mine :evil2:

IIRC it's vented too...

jetjock

creepy-ass cracka
Jul 11, 2005
Redacted per Title 18 USC Section 798
For those interested there's three areas at the lower left behind the gas door, any of which can be drilled and used to mount a NC pushbutton or pin switch. Run a single wire from it to the hatch switch for the factory alarm or to an aftermarket input. 30 minute job. Presto...alarmed gas door.

TurboStreetCar

Formerly Nosechunks
Feb 25, 2006
Long Island, Ny
p5150 said:
Its BS because when you get pressure differences from temperature changes, altitude and wx patterns moving through the tank will suck in and expel the air in the tank. The constant in/out of air can make fuel go bad faster. Also, fuel evaporates and there is moisture in the air outside of the tank.

Leave a jar of gasoline out uncovered and then try to use it in a month during the humid hot summertime and tell me how it goes.

If you have a check valve on it the tank only pulls air in as the fuel drops.

its not like you have a fan circulating the air into and out of the tank, the hole is just bigger then a pin hole, just to equalize pressure, i doubt theres measurable "flow".

i'll tell you how it "goes", my car has been sitting in my back yard since mid winter of '06. just a month or so ago, i went back started it and took it the long way around the block without a problem. thats a year it has been sitting with the same fuel from a year ago, threw the hot humid summer, "evaporating and getting full of moisture" running/starting fine with a 1 minute mod-ed cap.

Not to mention a regularly driven car is refueled every what, week? your telling me in that week the maybe 1 cubic foot of air that will travel threw that cap is going to make all the fuel in your tank stale?

too much thought into a simple object.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
Don't know about there but here they add benzine and other things to the base stock to bump the octane up to the advertised levels and being extremely volatile it does evaporate leaving you with a tank fullOknockNrattle.

And we ALL know how well a 7M responds to being rattled....

cuel

Supramania Contributor
Jan 8, 2007
Baytown, Texas
Not benzine here(that I know of), but Ethanol. Sometimes it's good to read the little signs at the pump. Right around 10%, iirc.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
ethanol evaporates quicker as well...

I can see removing EGR (as many companies have done so recently and tuned the EGR fucntion into the cam profile), but removing the evaporative system is just plain stupid...

It keeps the gasses from escaping, and then uses them again once it's warmed up. It helps the environment, allows the car to run better, and is a win/win in every way.

Unless you're so vain and "it looks ugly." Well, I think plug wires and the coils on top of the engine look ugly, but you don't see me pulling it off... OK, that's a stretch, but how about the ugly heatsheilds? Sure, it works fine without em, but I bake my brand new wiring harness...

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
you get the point though...

cletused mods on these cars is what will bite you in the ass later on. Not to mention if you sell the car it could potentially be dangerous...

p5150

ASE and FAA A&P Certified
Mar 31, 2005
Central Idaho
nosechunks said:
its not like you have a fan circulating the air into and out of the tank, the hole is just bigger then a pin hole, just to equalize pressure, i doubt theres measurable "flow".

i'll tell you how it "goes", my car has been sitting in my back yard since mid winter of '06. just a month or so ago, i went back started it and took it the long way around the block without a problem. thats a year it has been sitting with the same fuel from a year ago, threw the hot humid summer, "evaporating and getting full of moisture" running/starting fine with a 1 minute mod-ed cap.

Not to mention a regularly driven car is refueled every what, week? your telling me in that week the maybe 1 cubic foot of air that will travel threw that cap is going to make all the fuel in your tank stale?

too much thought into a simple object.

Ok - im sure that based on your narrow experience that I will feel comfortable using fuel that has been under those conditions when im making 600+ hp.

Where is my drill?:biglaugh:

bryanintexas

aaarrrrrggghhhh!!!!!
Apr 4, 2005
spring, texas
What vacuum source would you use for the BVSV for the evap system, if you have a JDM t/b with only 1 vacuum port?

I believe I read somewhere that a Honda had a smaller cannister that would work as well?!? Anyone know of this?

TurboStreetCar

Formerly Nosechunks
Feb 25, 2006
Long Island, Ny
then don't let you car sit for a year, regardless, a car is refueled at least once a week if being driven even only on the weekends, especially a 600+ horsepower car. you would have to really try to get your fuel to go bad in a week. But do what you must to sleep at night.

I removed mine because i didn't want the clutter in the engine bay. made room for down pipe and eventually bigger turbo. I just plugged the line in the bay and vented the gas cap. Also to get rid of all vsv's and unnecessary vac hoeses that could cause vac/boost leaks

Doward

Banned
Jan 11, 2006
Alachua, FL
nosechunks said:
then don't let you car sit for a year, regardless, a car is refueled at least once a week if being driven even only on the weekends, especially a 600+ horsepower car. you would have to really try to get your fuel to go bad in a week. But do what you must to sleep at night.

I removed mine because i didn't want the clutter in the engine bay. made room for down pipe and eventually bigger turbo. I just plugged the line in the bay and vented the gas cap. Also to get rid of all vsv's and unnecessary vac hoeses that could cause vac/boost leaks

Not so. Even driving my Supra almost every weekend on a full tank of gas, I tend to go through about a tankfull a month.

iwannadie

Jul 28, 2006
gilbert, az
Poodles said:
I'm still sticking to my point about vanity...

FORM FOLLOWS FUNCTION

The people who remove it just for looks can replace it with a small hidden one. At that point it just becomes a case of being lazy maybe. Its easy to rip it out and plug the lines, but takes a few minutes to bolt a new one in.

mkIIIman089

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Ohio
If plugging the line and venting the cap works for you, either you:

1. Don't want paint on your car.

2. Never fill your tank.

antman

Supramania Contributor
Apr 6, 2005
TN
mkIIIman089 said:
If plugging the line and venting the cap works for you, either you:

1. Don't want paint on your car.

2. Never fill your tank.

Exactly!...... I was wondering when this would get brought up. Besides all the great reasons toyota put it there. These are huge reasons not to just remove it.

The "nice man" that owned my car before me. Just removed the canister, plugged the hose and drilled the cap. Now I can't fill the tank because it will regurgitate.

Status
Not open for further replies.