Type of Vented Gas Cap

Status
Not open for further replies.

TurboStreetCar

Formerly Nosechunks
Feb 25, 2006
Long Island, Ny
mkIIIman: I would fill my tank when ever i had the cash, have done it many times before. Though i don't top it off until its at the bottom of the filler neck so air has no way of escaping. I Don't understand why i wouldn't want paint on my car though?

Doward: i guess i drive my car more then you, during the summer i had it registered and was driving it (roughly 4-5 months), i put about 6000 miles on it. By refueled i didn't mean fill and run until empty, but putting 20-30 bucks in to get from 1/4 to 3/4 is still refueling.

poodles: Form does follow function, but i don't see it providing any function but to clean the air and vent the tank. Its alot of clutter id rather not look at or work around when i need to work on my car, its just more stuff in the way. But hey its my car, i did want i felt i wanted to do, and its working for me.

If you Guys/Girls don't want to do it or don't believe in it, then by all means find another solution. This works for me, on my car, so its what i did and im fine with it. Im not trying to talk you into doing it, but calling it a BS solution when its works and is free is ridiculous.

You asked What are we using, i told you. End of story. Either way, with the evap system removed (as per OP) you will need to vent the tank, i would not trust a cap to just allow air into the tank, i would feel like too much pressure would build up in the tank from expansion of the fuel and air inside the tank from ambient temp changes plus heating the fuel in the rail on a running engine. Theres nothing to cool the fuel but time and ambient air around the outside of the tank.

mkIIIman089

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Ohio
nosechunks said:
mkIIIman: I would fill my tank when ever i had the cash, have done it many times before. Though i don't top it off until its at the bottom of the filler neck so air has no way of escaping. I Don't understand why i wouldn't want paint on my car though?
Don't top it off until its...air... huh?

That paint bit, I'm pretty sure, is not even a question.

ant: Yep, that's exactly what I was talking about.

TurboStreetCar

Formerly Nosechunks
Feb 25, 2006
Long Island, Ny
mkIIIman089 said:
Don't top it off until its...air... huh?
hmm. lets see where the problem is....
Though i don't top it off until its at the bottom of the filler neck so air has no way of escaping.
looks like i said... "though, i don't top it of...." (when filling up) "until its at the bottom of the filler neck...." (as in after the pump shuts off, i don't continue to click the pump to top it off to get as much fuel in as possible filling the tank to the point where the filler neck is under the fuel level) "so air has no way of escaping....." (if the fuel was above the filler neck it would have to push fuel out to vent causing the problem your hinting at)

Better? To your paint/fuel regurgitation issue, Maybe im a more accurate fuel pumper then most??

JJ: i think people running no cat(s) or EGR pouring out NOX and CO is a little more of a problem then a little HC's from small amounts of evaporated fuel. hell walk into any repair shop and the oil containers are smelling of raw fuel from fuel filter changes. im not saying its the right thing to do, but putting it all on me isnt right either.

Whatever, just another not the best option must be the worst option thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.